A question - everyone can play.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: A question - everyone can play.

Post by fatbikephil »

Yep, love camping and campsites - I'd rather be in a campsite than a hotel (or a bloody bunkhouse). After doing a few minimalist bikepacking trips I then really enjoy being able to add some luxury to my camp (big tent, seat, duvet, pillow, trangia, bottles of beer, basic ingredients for food, proximity to chippy / pub)

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Nah. If I'm paying for somewhere I'd rather do a B&B:
  • Your own room, bathroom, 15" TV and mini kettle.
  • Peaceful night's sleep and you wake up fully rested.
  • Massive fry up with a load of brews then back out on the bike.
Heaven.

More often than not the people who run them tend to be great company too. :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

My kids grew up on campsites. The best possible safe environment to allow little ones to run free under the collective eyes of many. I’ve found them fantastic environments to meet new people and have semi-nomadic holidays. We travelled round France for a month going site to site and I would not trade that experience fir anything. They are brill so it is a massive yes from me.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm a definite yes as well, in fact I'll be heading for a campsite in Dumfries and Galloway next week to meet up with family and do a bit of mountain biking with my sister and her partner (I will be in my camper van rather than a tent though).
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Normally I hate campsites, there's always some fullwit slamming car doors at 4am.
Much prefer a good quiet wild camp.
However, on this year's WRT, Gair bear and I stumbled upon a lovely little site, maybe 20 pitches. It was really nice. Well kept and reasonably priced. We were the circus in town though, people were amazed about how little we had. Usual questions about "where's your tent?" Etc.
Being the freaks on show earned us some rather large portions of gin from a chatty couple opposite.
It was a little gem of a site, much better than some of the garbage ones I've been dragged into.
I'm on the fence.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like many, I was brought up going to campsites - a week in a canvas frame tent each year in N Wales and I will be staying on a campsite for a few days next week but what about your bikepacking trips?

Personally, if I had to stay on campsites while riding, then the pleasure derived from the 'bikepacking experience' would be reduced as the element of freedom would be greatly deminished. Trips would need additional planning, I'd have to follow some sort of schedule and have an itinerary. In essence, I'd no longer be free to do what I want, when I want to.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 am Like many, I was brought up going to campsites - a week in a canvas frame tent each year in N Wales and I will be staying on a campsite for a few days next week but what about your bikepacking trips?
I could see the benefit if I was away for a long trip; access to a proper shower, maybe also a washing machine. I wouldn't want to stay at one if I could possibly help it though.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Yep.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 am Like many, I was brought up going to campsites - a week in a canvas frame tent each year in N Wales and I will be staying on a campsite for a few days next week but what about your bikepacking trips?

Personally, if I had to stay on campsites while riding, then the pleasure derived from the 'bikepacking experience' would be reduced as the element of freedom would be greatly deminished. Trips would need additional planning, I'd have to follow some sort of schedule and have an itinerary. In essence, I'd no longer be free to do what I want, when I want to.
This latter bit is sort of true. If you're aiming for campsites, you need to know where they are and whether they are likely to have free space. You might then have to book. This obviously fixes your plans/itinerary somewhat. OTOH as a single person turning up on a bike, I've yet to be turned away. What can then happen is that you either pass your intended site earlier than planned, or you suddenly need to push yourself to make it if you've been dawdling. I guess it depends on where the sites are and how frequently you'll be passing one.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Arrive after nightfall leave before dawn.
Who would know?
But yes probably, just not as often.
Grubby little urchin.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Taylor wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:50 pm Being the freaks on show earned us some rather large portions of gin from a chatty couple opposite.
:-bd . Excellent! One of many benefits of being the Phreak In Town. I must admit I shamelessly play that card frequently. Usually off the bottom of the deck :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 am I will be staying on a campsite for a few days next week
HAH!!! Outed!!! :lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Kumquat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:50 pm Arrive after nightfall leave before dawn.
Who would know?
Ooooohh, that's naughty! Surely you're not suggesting...... you are, aren't you :smile: . You first, we're riiiiiiiight behind you :-bd .

barney

Post by barney »

I see no problem with it, depending on the site.... smallish farmers field with toilet, tap and the option of buying eggs from the farmer. To be honest I've had a post WRT "wobble" and have looked and planned routes around a few quiet sites. All this landowners permission malarkey and the rise in Covid, it wouldn't go down well in work if I was seen to be breaking the rules and getting a fine.

Another view is that I wouldn't take my daughter wild camping but would take her "nearly" wild camping, Being a "veteran" of a number of Teddybearbone events those campsites were great... plus we were allowed a fire!
Wait for me...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Camping’s great. A good wild camp can’t be beaten but a good campsite is still great. And it’s a fabulous experience for kids.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Probably. Been on some really good campsites, also been on some that we've left early because of inconsiderate folks who couldn't keep the noise down after dark.

Find one of the joys of staying 'off piste' is the peace and quiet.