Ebike questions.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Ebike questions.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know very little about Ebikes but I know someone who's considering one ... hence I'm asking.

What (roughly) is the price point for something reasonable - I imagine hybrid rather than full-on MTB.

Any suggestions for makes / models worth looking at.

Thank you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JackT

Re: Ebike questions.

Post by JackT »

£1500? Bosch and Shimano mid drive systems are the gold standard, especially in hilly terrain as the bike's gearing means the motor can operate efficiently even at low speeds. Also feels more natural to ride. I'm told the new Bosch motors are drag free, which may or may not be an important consideration.

For flat places a hub motor will be ok.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I’ve always thought of £2k as the point at which you’re not trading off an electric motor against other components. What is a ‘cheap’ e bike from boardman or pinnacle going for these days?
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

I did some pretty comprehensive research a few weeks ago when wondering if I could commit to commuting 5 days a week, all your round, plus using a bike as a proper utility vehicle (In defiance of "needing" a motor vehicle.

By my reckoning, anything that was going to give decent mileage and enough oomph to be ridable on hilly terrain on a properly "I can't be arsed day" was £3k - With the Cannondale Canvas 2 being my pick of the bunch.

As it happens, the £3k price tag made me kick up my riding a bit more instead. Still got many years of complaining about being tired before I go down that route.
JackT

Post by JackT »

benp1 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:55 pm I’ve always thought of £2k as the point at which you’re not trading off an electric motor against other components. What is a ‘cheap’ e bike from boardman or pinnacle going for these days?
You're probably right. Nearer to £2k but sometimes there are decent reductions though I gather sales are strong right now (my two nearest independent bike shops have both been kept afloat by ebike sales). E bikes now qualify for the Cycle to Work scheme if that's an option for your friend, Stuart, I think through a top up system on the £1k limit.

Looks decent value for a hybrid / commuter at £1669 (but why do they insist on front suspension on these kinds of bikes??)

https://m.bikester.co.uk/cube-touring-h ... 66034.html
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My ‘favourite’ e bike at the moment is the Tern GSD. Fantastically practical and useful bike. I was getting ready to stomach the cost but reality hit, it’s a serious amount of cash. Ended up with a non electric big dummy, and then I regularly um and ahh about sticking a Bafang unit on it. Will probably keep as is and get an off the shelf electric cargo bike at some point
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I like the look of the Tern too, Cube have a compact cargo bike out
Too but not many about, Kalkhoff made one called the Sahel too but
I think they've stopped ?
Jaycee

Post by Jaycee »

I’d also recommend looking at the bafang system.
Both my father and father in law have it, 82 and 76 and they get out every day.
You basically replace the crank on your existing bike with a motor and fit a battery.
Spares for home maintenance are available unlike some of the big brands.
A big advantage is it’s on your existing bike that you are already comfortable with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheers all. I shall pass the info on. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

benp1 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:30 pm My ‘favourite’ e bike at the moment is the Tern GSD. Fantastically practical and useful bike. I was getting ready to stomach the cost but reality hit, it’s a serious amount of cash. Ended up with a non electric big dummy, and then I regularly um and ahh about sticking a Bafang unit on it. Will probably keep as is and get an off the shelf electric cargo bike at some point
I took the plunge and 'invested' in a GSD during lockdown. I bought it to eat into/replace car journeys more than bike ones. I have to say it's is brilliant. Expensive, yes and heavy, but it does what it says on the tin. My 'rule' for using it is that it's a utility bike and only for journeys that have a purpose. I didn't think of myself as lazy but....
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

I built this during lockdown. Under £1000 and relatively easy to do. A genesis latitude with bafang mid motor and 17.5 ah battery. Pretty good range 50-80 miles depending on how much effort you put in and terrain. I couldn't afford anoff the peg ebike. Now it's done I think you get way better value for money doing it this way. I always thought it would be a utility bike but find myself using it more and more for adventures. The way I see it is I simply go further faster.

Image7A61AE7C-0C77-4CDB-B3BC-0EF6FFD954CF by Chris Harris, on Flickr