Topeak Turbo Morph G Mini Hand Pump With Gauge - A Load of Rubbish, or am I Doing Something Wrong?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Topeak Turbo Morph G Mini Hand Pump With Gauge - A Load of Rubbish, or am I Doing Something Wrong?

Post by The Cumbrian »

I went for a spin on the bike this evening and suffered a catastrophic puncture that even Stan's couldn't seal. It's a cut about 8mm long in the middle of the tread of my Maxxis Ramblers. I decided against plugging it and thought that I'd patch it internally at the weekend, so put a tube in. I expected the Topeak Turbo Morph to inflate the tyre with ease in a matter of seconds, but it turned into a bit of an ordeal. The tyres are 700 x 40, so they aren't massive by any means, and I struggled to get any pressure in them. Eventually I managed to get enough air in to limp home.
The problem seems to be that the fixing over the valve allows air back into the pump, which can escape when the pump is at the top of it's stroke. I fiddled around with the seal over the valve (Schraeder), pressing it down to different levels which helped a bit (sometimes), but I was very disappointed the performance. The gauge didn't work either, or I just didn't manage to get enough air in to register.
Any suggestions as to what I was doing wrong, or even for a pump that actually works? I don't mind carrying something reasonably sized because I can't be arsed with micro pumps any more.
Of course I would have known about this issue if I'd tested it before strapping it to bike and riding off into the sunset....

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
middleagedmadness

Re: Topeak Turbo Morph G Mini Hand Pump With Gauge - A Load of Rubbish, or am I Doing Something Wrong?

Post by middleagedmadness »

If it’s the same as mountain morph you need to unscrew it and turn the internal rubber around , one side is for presta the other for Schader, hope this helps
voodoo_simon

Re: Topeak Turbo Morph G Mini Hand Pump With Gauge - A Load of Rubbish, or am I Doing Something Wrong?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have both the mountain and road version of the pump, and they both work well. Have used the mountain version (or the volume version) on my fat bike and it’s performed well.

Have used the road version to get to 100psi, takes a few more pumps than my track pump but it does get up there (and I’m a weakling too :lol: )

Topeak race rockets on the other hand...
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:07 pm If it’s the same as mountain morph you need to unscrew it and turn the internal rubber around , one side is for presta the other for Schader, hope this helps
I had the internal rubber and the plastic insert in the correct configuration, it was just a massive pain in the arse to pump the tyre up.
I'll have to do some fiddling at the weekend, and see how the Presta configuration works on my mountain bike.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.