Gatewood Cape - Pole - Question for Stu

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Gatewood Cape - Pole - Question for Stu

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:51 pm
I thought the top line on the net was offset to the head end?
Fairy sure the tie on mine is in the middle Reg. Maybe they do different shapes.
My bug net is offset but I just used the elasticated cord that came with it to hook onto the inside of the tarp.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My bug net is offset but I just used the elasticated cord that came with it to hook onto the inside of the tarp.
Maybe mine is too Phil and I just pull ot to suit ... hence I'm thinking it's in the middle.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:51 pm
I thought the top line on the net was offset to the head end?
Fairy sure the tie on mine is in the middle Reg. Maybe they do different shapes.
About third of the way from head end. Maybe I got the Friday afternoon one?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Borderer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:48 pm Would a guy line going from the top of the pole to the centre of the back of the cape (ie inside) work to hold the net up?
Good call. I'll have a go with that too. Actually, probably better permanently attached between the cradle (rather than the pole) and the half-way-down loop.... (edit: oh, need two, going in both directions since you won't know which way you're going to be lying :wink: ). Could larksfoot the net on so you could whizz it up and down until satisfied. Not sure what to attach things to the net with though without ripping it.
I had my door attached to the guyline by a karabiner so I could quickly unhook it in the night if needs be.
Yes that's what I'm going to do I think. Easy to swap to either door as well.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:32 pm
Borderer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:48 pm Would a guy line going from the top of the pole to the centre of the back of the cape (ie inside) work to hold the net up?
Good call. I'll have a go with that too.
OK B, here you go. A length of Stu 0.5 Nanocord (tm) doubled and knotted at intervals, one down each side of the tarp. Suspended from the toggles and the cradle attachments rather than the pole area. Can hang your S2S net off any of the knots as desired. Also replaced the main lines with Nanocord, but not made my mind up about the hood stiffener or the door hook replacement yet. The door hook is the worst designed part - hard to get onto the doors loops but easy to ping off. As you say, a biner would be better. Will do that next probably.

Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I wasn't going to do any more tinkering today, but when packing away I remembered how much the excessive amount of elastic on the Nanonet annoyed me. So, might as well put the tarps back up and prune that off while everything's still out and annoying Mrs Perrin.

Firstly I erected the 9 x 7 cuben tarp with the 115cm Gatewood pole, figuring that was the highest pole I'd ever use. Fixed up the Nanonet and marked the maximum elastic length. Yes I know the tarp looks narrow, 5cm of extra pole makes quite a difference and the lines weren't at full length either. It does show the palatial amount of room in this tarp though, at only 195g.

Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Swap the tarp out for the Gatewood and stick the net into that instead. I put five knots into the Borderer Line (TM) and the net is attached to first one from lowest, using an S2S superlight minibiner superceding the clothes peg (shame). Remember that the BL (TM) is attached to the pole cradle at the top and the combined lifter/inner-loop at the bottom. Already makes a bit of difference.

Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Shift the net hanger up to the fourth knot and it's really looking the business now :smile: . And binning all that elastic has got it down to a featherweight (ok, an eagle's feather, but still..) 82g! Bit of tyvek, mat, and quilt/bag/pillow and away you go.

Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Also added an S2S superlight biner to the door hook. It's a bit better than the plastic one, but it has an indent for the catch which has a propensity to snag the door loop so I'm not fully convinced.

Final job is to sort out something for the hood. Am thinking along the lines of a triangular spreader instead of the suggested cable sheath,

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Interesting thanks Reg. You are going to have to go out and test it again now :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Not a chore - it's beginning to grow on me :smile: .

Another mod would be a way of holding the vents slightly open maybe.