Good Coastal Riding in South West UK?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Good Coastal Riding in South West UK?

Post by Richard G »

It's not been a great year for riding for me, and I'm hoping to finish it off with a solid block of rides around Christmas.

Originally I was going to be in Canada, but that's looking more and more unlikely every day (they've already got closed borders, and the infection rate is going up now rather than down). So, given abroad is out for all sorts of good reasons... where's good in the UK? I did Scotland last year, and that was fun, but I don't really fancy travelling all that way again.

I'm likely going to be deciding between Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Pembrokeshire. I've never ridden in Cornwall, so that would be completely new to me. Have done a fair bit in Pembrokeshire, though maybe would consider more St David's way this time? I recall Devon being nice, but painfully hilly. In Dorset I've mostly ridden near Swanage (Bikemonger events).

Anyone got any thoughts? I don't really need to be too near civilization as we'll be cooking for ourselves most of the time.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Good Coastal Riding in South West UK?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As far as off-road riding goes, I've never found (Preseli hills aside) much in Pembrokeshire but plenty of road riding - generally on quiet lanes.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm As far as off-road riding goes, I've never found (Preseli hills aside) much in Pembrokeshire but plenty of road riding - generally on quiet lanes.
I think I'll mostly be sticking to gravel anyway as I very much don't need the stress of sliding around in the mud and potentially having another off.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Have a look at the Southern Way from Lands End to Dover
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:49 pm Have a look at the Southern Way from Lands End to Dover
Looks interesting, but I think my better half would end me if I just disappeared for a week. The plan will be morning rides from a single starting point (rented house or something).
slarge

Post by slarge »

Rich, having spent a lot of time in Pembrokeshire there isn't much at all in the way of gravel. There's some good riding as Stu says over the Preseli's and towards Newport, but I wouldn't make a biking holiday out of it. Even the coastal path is a bit iffy in places (and meant to be off limits). Loads of quiet lanes and some great road routes (given that there is always a headwind), and some great little pubs and stop off points. Head elsewhere if riding it the objective.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I think I've seen basically all of the Preseli Hills already (square hunting), so not much point in heading there again. Cheers for the input.

Something of Cornwall / Devon / Dorset then.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

There’s very little in the way of bridleways or byeways that actually follow the coast in the SW. The coast path is overwhelmingly footpath.
There are some bits here and there. Dorset - W of Studland at Old Harry Rocks and W of Lulworth. Some bits in E Devon near to Beer and N Devon by Lynton and also Woolacombe. Also a few odds and sods in Cornwall.
Nice enough but nothing to keep you amused for long.
There’s plenty of roads, some quieter than others that give the feeling of being on the coast that can be had along most of the peninsula. Riding them at quiet times with the sun out can be pretty special. If there’s tons of traffic it’s a different matter.
Localish to me you can track the coast pretty well all the way from Pool Harbour to Slapton (nearly Plymouth) Some of it is a bit sub standard but other bits are vaguely exciting :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

There's just been Brother in the Wild, and there were plenty of Charlie the Bikemonger events in/around Purbeck, might be worth investigating the routes?
psling

Post by psling »

Richard G wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:31 pm The plan will be morning rides from a single starting point (rented house or something).
Unless you're talking maybe just 1 or 2 days I would suggest North Devon in The Minehead to Lynton area. Good coastal riding and some good loops out and around Exmoor. Handy for The Quantocks too.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

psling wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:25 am
Richard G wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:31 pm The plan will be morning rides from a single starting point (rented house or something).
Unless you're talking maybe just 1 or 2 days I would suggest North Devon in The Minehead to Lynton area. Good coastal riding and some good loops out and around Exmoor. Handy for The Quantocks too.
I’d second that suggestion. Plenty of options for mixed riding round there.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Only other thing I would say is Plymouth area gets you on a nice long track to Dartmoor with options from there.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

To be clear, I don't really care about riding on the seaside or anything, just that I'll be within range of it. I think I saw the sea all of about twice when I did Pembrokeshire!

...and I had a horrible feeling North Devon would be the best idea, I just recall it being brutally hilly (Braunton 150).

@Landslide - Yeah, I've actually done a few of them.
@Dave - I'll have a nose at that.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Devon = hilly :wink:
Small areas of flat around Exe estuary and Clyst Vale. Following the rivers is generally flatter than elsewhere - Dave’s suggestion of the Plymouth track out to DNP is only very gently uphill - but eventually you need to climb onto the moor!
Riding in Devon generally means accepting repeated climbs of 100-150m that don’t stint on the steepness. Most of mid Devon tops out at 200m asl. Both DNP and ENP have climbs that match all but the highest in Northern England.
My favourite road ride from my house over DNP has 3800m in 160km. My upcoming Dartmoor replacement for BB200 is looking to be >5000m.
‘Proper job’
WSC
psling

Post by psling »

A lot of coastal riding UK = steep climbs unless you're somewhere like Lincolnshire or Norfolk. Generally speaking :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:58 pm A lot of coastal riding UK = steep climbs unless you're somewhere like Lincolnshire or Norfolk. Generally speaking :cool:
Or Slapton Sands ... if you don’t mind a repeated time trial
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's not like I'm not used to it (living in Wales), but still... I'd rather not need to bleed from the eyeballs on every ride!