Small cheap camera

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Small cheap camera

Post by fatbikephil »

Is there a digital equivalent of those old disposable film cameras that were just point and press? I'd like a wee camera that I can shove in a pocket, pull out and take a snapshot. I could use my phone but its a faff and usually switched off for a trip to save the battery. I've got an old garmin virb action cam which takes good stills but is heavy....
Gari

Re: Small cheap camera

Post by Gari »

https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-033080 ... tz35-black
Ffordes are great for used gear generally and over the years I’ve had lots of stuff from them and they’ve always been reliable. Description is usually errs on the “understating” side.
There’s plenty of others in that list:)
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

I have an old Kodak Easyshare M552 which I use for this purpose. Measures about 95x55x20. No idea what the latest similar model might be, I've had it for years. That's probably not a lot of help...
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I have started carrying a spare phone that is just used as a camera. If it's on aeroplane mode with the screen off when not in use then it doesn't use much power. Phones are a lot lighter than cameras. It is also a spare phone for emergencies if needed.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Borderer wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:42 pm I have started carrying a spare phone that is just used as a camera. If it's on aeroplane mode with the screen off when not in use then it doesn't use much power. Phones are a lot lighter than cameras. It is also a spare phone for emergencies if needed.
Pretty decent Ulephone rugged phones are under £100 on Amazon :-bd

Or you could spend a tenner on a spare battery pack for your current phone. Having a had a play with some reasonable priced standalone cameras unless you need a zoom they just aren't worth the faff compared to using your phone. Imho of course! :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Agreed that cameras and phones are a bit too much faff.
I'd go with this, less than £60 and you get everything - paints, brushes, paper and easel. https://www.zieler.co.uk/product/a3-eas ... r-gift-set No need for a back-up battery or aeroplane mode.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:31 pm Agreed that cameras and phones are a bit too much faff.
I'd go with this, less than £60 and you get everything - paints, brushes, paper and easel. https://www.zieler.co.uk/product/a3-eas ... r-gift-set No need for a back-up battery or aeroplane mode.
:lol: Paint packing?
Done some more googling and ended up on too many websites advertising spy cams. Annoyingly none of those are aimed at photoing secret documents like James Bond does as such a camera would be ideal for my needs. My phone takes good pics but this involves taking it out of bag, removing from waterproof cover, unlocking, firing up camera, taking pic. This is hopeless if you are trying to get a bird of prey or hare shot as they have usually gone before I manage all of this. I've got a compact digi camera but it would be nice to have something I can just point and press and is dead light. Mainly for things like this weekends Cairngorms loop but also for the 'capture the moment' type shots. I thought it would be possible to buy a camera like ones fitted to phones, but without the phone - doesn't look like it....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

As ever with the internet, I’ll say the complete opposite of what you need!

I’ve ditched the camer for my phone as I’ve found it more convient and as such, I’ll take more pictures, it does compromise the quality but I’m happy with that.

Surely you’ll have just as much faff with taking a camera out of its waterproof bag, firing it up etc??

How else can I hash tag my ride on the ‘gram and if no one knows I’m mid ride , am I actually riding?! :lol:

Phone with a spare battery or two may be an option?

If not, I used to like canon cameras, always worked for me
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

htrider wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:00 pm My phone takes good pics but this involves taking it out of bag, removing from waterproof cover, unlocking, firing up camera, taking pic. This is hopeless if you are trying to get a bird of prey or hare shot as they have usually gone before I manage all of this.
A lot of phones have a camera short cut on the lock screen so you can just grab a snap. As Simon says (sorry) all that applies to a camera as well.

On the subject of rugged phones with cameras:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/8C ... f_=ast_bln

Three do a free sim that gives you 250mb of data for zilch cost you can use to back up your photos into the cloud away from WiFi, etc
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:00 pm Mainly for things like this weekends Cairngorms loop
I can get to the start early if you need more time to capture me in watercolour? :lol:

I've also thought that the camera equivalent of a phone but without the phone bit would be ideal for quick snaps. My Sony phone has a 20 megapixel camera and takes good pictures. If it was half the size and just a camera it would be exactly what I'm after, but I couldn't find anything like that :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Phil, just have a look around at "last year's models" you don't want the latest mega-pixel variants. Also, the more "features" you have then the cameras tend to get bigger. Ranges like the Canon Ixus are small and easily fit into a pocket. Ffordes is a good shout - they've been going years, I remember them from 30 years ago and they'd been around for ages then.

I often keep my camera in one of my stem cells, pretty easy to get out whilst on the move, take a shot and put the camera back.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FLV

Post by FLV »

How cheap is cheap?

Panasonic ft30?
120 quid ISH, waterproof

I have a little Sony one unused to use, but I've lost the charger somehow so am back to the phone..
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I usually keep mine in my rear jersey pocket. It's pretty quick-draw from there. If it's raining there's a breast pocket on my jacket it can go in but I take a lot less photos in the rain so it often gets put away then.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thanks all - I've ID'd a couple of waterproof compacts which don't have an optical zoom and are fairly close to point and press. Just need to work out the cheapest / lightest now :mrgreen:
Oh and also figured out the camera shortcut on my phones lock screen.... :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

One of the nice things about the Sony Xperias is that they have a physical camera/shutter button.

No more taking photos with the end of my nose.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:32 pm One of the nice things about the Sony Xperias is that they have a physical camera/shutter button.

No more taking photos with the end of my nose.
Samsung and others will do that too. :-bd
SmartSelect_20200909-152940_Camera.jpg
(22.76 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The other nice feature on my Samsung (may be similar features on other makes) is that you can set it to open the camera (without unlocking or anything else) by pressing the home key twice. Really useful.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Very useful - just tried that with the power button on my Xiaomi Mi A2 and it did the same, ta :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:37 pm The other nice feature on my Samsung (may be similar features on other makes) is that you can set it to open the camera (without unlocking or anything else) by pressing the home key twice. Really useful.
Hmm - will have to dig out the destructions to work that one out on my samsung.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

htrider wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:32 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:37 pm The other nice feature on my Samsung (may be similar features on other makes) is that you can set it to open the camera (without unlocking or anything else) by pressing the home key twice. Really useful.
Hmm - will have to dig out the destructions to work that one out on my samsung.
If you've not used it before, if you try it, it should open the camera and ask you if that's what you want to do every time you do it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Pffftttt...

How quaint!! I just shout at siri to open up my camera :lol:
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

Take the weight penalty of a good lens and camera, a phone camera is a VERY poor substitute for capturing those important memories