Another sleeping bag question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

Another sleeping bag question

Post by Rob S »

I think I need to replace my crappy old synthetic bag with something warmer/lighter/more packable. The Criterium quantum 200 looks the business, advertised as good to 0*. Would this be ok for three season use if supplemented with leggings and baselayer? I've never used down before so not sure whether to go for the "200" or the "350". If I could get away with the lighter and smaller 200 I would of course. I'm fairly lean at 5 11" and 11 stone so I do feel the cold sometimes, anyone else of my body type? What weight of down would you use around freezing?
Lazarus

Re: Another sleeping bag question

Post by Lazarus »

I have a zero degree rated bag [synethetic but doubt it matters]does me as a three season bag
I have used it in winter nights as well but not sub zero ones

5 ft 9 and 10 stone so equally uninsulated
I am assuming you have a decent mat with a good r rating
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I use a Cumulus 350 quilt most of the year round, switching to something warmer for the winter months, but I sleep fairly cold as a rule. Sometimes I'll use an Alpkit PD600 but I usually switch over to hammock camping in winter where I use 0*F quilts.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The 200 lofts very well and does give the impression that there's actually more down in there than there really is. It's also baffled rather than stitch-thru which should make a difference. Obviously, it's hard to give a definitive answer but I'd certainly use one down to zero.

I'm just writing the bumph for them to go into the shop. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The EN ratings assume you are wearing a base layer of some sort (I think the tests actually use a shell suit on the mannequin) so if you want to sleep in the buff then they'll feel a bit colder :wink:

Just what works for you depends on whether you are a warm or cold sleeper - start with the "limit" rating if you are a warm sleeper, the "comfort" rating if you are a cold sleeper. Sleeping bag ratings also have an "upper" limit which is when you'll sweat too much so too warm a bag might not be ideal in summer, obviously a zipped bag will help with that. Since you say your current bag is "crappy" I wouldn't use that bag's temperature ratings as a guide as the insulation will have broken down so won't be as warm as when you bought it - just one of those things with synthetic.

Also consider getting a lighter summer bag, say rated to 5C, and then get either a liner bag or a thin outer to boost its rating for the cooler months. Insulation, providing you don't compress it too much, is additive. I've a sleeping bag rated to 5C and a quilt rated to 4C, used together I've been cosy at -5/6C. There's a slight weight penalty to this as you've two lots of shell material rather than one but it's flexible and for me at least does all but full on Scottish winter here in the UK.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I found my Quantum 200 a little light for zero degress - 4 or 5 for me. But I stretched it being right on the height limit and I'm a cold sleeper. I actually find the Cumulus 150 quilt warmer than the Quantum 200 bag for this reason (and its cheaper and lighter!) I have an Ultralight 350 which will just about do me down to 0 (with a base layer and a thermal top) unzipped and used as a quilt.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:49 am The 200 lofts very well and does give the impression that there's actually more down in there than there really is. It's also baffled rather than stitch-thru which should make a difference. Obviously, it's hard to give a definitive answer but I'd certainly use one down to zero.

I'm just writing the bumph for them to go into the shop. :wink:
So the criterion stuff will be in the shop soon? :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So the criterion stuff will be in the shop soon?
It will Shaf - Quantum, Ultralight and Traveller ranges.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Thanks for all the responses. It does seem a good combination of warmth and pack size, it'll save me 500 grams, a bit of space and keep me warmer as well. Cheers everyone!