Recommendation on 27.5 (650b) tires

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trevstonbury

Recommendation on 27.5 (650b) tires

Post by Trevstonbury »

Hi guys,

I'm new to these forums so just thought id introduce myself! I've gotten in bikepacking in the last couple of years, live in Kent currently have only been on trips in the UK. Slowly accumulating experience and gear but still a lot to learn! At the moment im looking to upgrade the tires on my bike (Whyte 605 2017) and was hoping for some advice.

I am looking for a combo that will give me decent performance over a mix of terrain, a jack of all trades, master of none if you will. I want to ensure I have enough control and grip when off road or in loose/slightly wet conditions as I ride on fairly mixed terrain/weather. I also want something that is durable and fairly puncture resistance. So please let me know what you think of the options below of if you have any recommendations!

Combo 1
Front: Marathon Plus MTB 27.5 2.25
Rear: Marathon Plus MTB 27.5 2.25

Combo 2
Front: Nobby nic 27.5, 2.25

Combo 3
Front: Smart Sam 27.5, 2.25

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/mtb-reader/ ... n-plus-mtb
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/mtb-reader/nobby-nic
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/mtb-reader/smart-sam

I'm open to other brands for the front and I can put a max of a 2.3 on the front, though not sure I need to go to that size.

Cheers!

Trevor
sean_iow

Re: Recommendation on 27.5 (650b) tires

Post by sean_iow »

Welcome Trevor

I used to run a Nobby Nic when I had a 650b bike, but I found it fragile. I switched to Maxxis Forekasters front and rear which were very good. Used them all over the Isle of Wight, the South Down, North Wales and on the HT550, so a real mix of terrain.

Looking at the Marathon Plus MTB I assume you want something faster rolling on the rear?

On my 29er I now have a Vittoria Barzo on the front and a Mezcal on the rear. They have them in 650b as well as 29.

https://www.vittoria.com/eu/barzo-xc.html
https://www.vittoria.com/eu/mezcal-xc.html

They've been good so far but due to C-19 I've not been off the Island with them yet. I can report back in 2 weeks post Scotland if that helps.

If you go Vittoria then the ones you want at the ones with the Anthracite (dark grey) side wall. The black sidewalls are the rigid bead (wire) and the Para sidewall (tan) is the lightweight race version but the sidewall isn't as tough.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I have the Shwalbe Marathon 27.5 on my bike and they are pretty good. Never had a puncture. Just rode them to Cape Wrath off road with no problems, though grip wasn't always the best and I had to take some descents quite gingerly.

On my old bike I used to have Continental Travel Contacts and I loved them. They have a much more raised 'knobbly bit' at the sides that really stops you sliding out on corners. I can't find them in 27.5 just now though or I would have replaced mine.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

HI Trev
sean_iow wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:22 pm I used to run a Nobby Nic when I had a 650b bike, but I found it fragile.
Just to counter this, I've run Nobby Nic as a front tyre on 29 and 27.5 for a few years and found them to be ridiculously durable. There are different weight/specs though which may well explain why Sean and I had different experiences.

For me they're a very good winter trail tyre for a balance of rolling and grip.

Rekon is a decent back tyre to pair it with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I think the Marathon bit in Shwalbe means it's puncture proof, my wife has a marathon something or other in 700c on her commuter.

I'm sure it would pair up well with any gripper tyre on the front, but I suggested the Mezcal rear as my bike ocd wouldn't let me run different manufacturer's tyres front and rear :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:30 pm There are different weight/specs though which may well explain why Sean and I had different experiences.
Mine got sliced by a flint on the second ride and wouldn't seal. I stuck with them for a bit but had the same issue a couple of times more. But as you say there are different versions* so mine might have been lightweight.

* Schwalbe seem to make about 100 versions of each tyre and change them each year and depending on where you buy them and how long they've been in stock you never know what your getting :lol: I stopped using Schwalbe as I couldn't be bothered trying to decode the various types etc. It makes cracking the Enigma code look easy :grin:
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I also run Nobby Nics tubeless on my hardtail MTB bikepacking bike in the Dark Peak and beyond and have done for many years.
27.5" 650B wheels
2.6" tyres
23psi but could possible go a bit lower.
Very happy with them.

This is a pasting of the specific type: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo 27.5" Addix Folding 2.60" SnakeSkin TL-Easy Apex SpeedGrip, Stripes blue
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:37 pm It makes cracking the Enigma code look easy :grin:
Ah come on you're just exaggerating now :roll:
stevewaters wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:41 pm Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo 27.5" Addix Folding 2.60" SnakeSkin TL-Easy Apex SpeedGrip, Stripes blue
Oh :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Tyre' ... we have some standards* :wink:

*not many I grant you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Trevstonbury

Post by Trevstonbury »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:49 pm 'Tyre' ... we have some standards* :wink:

*not many I grant you.
I can only apologise enough! I blame the Americanisation of the internet!

Thanks for the advice guys, good to know that many of you have tried some of the tyres mentioned and I will have a look at the rest!
Trevstonbury

Post by Trevstonbury »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:22 pm Welcome Trevor

I used to run a Nobby Nic when I had a 650b bike, but I found it fragile. I switched to Maxxis Forekasters front and rear which were very good. Used them all over the Isle of Wight, the South Down, North Wales and on the HT550, so a real mix of terrain.

Looking at the Marathon Plus MTB I assume you want something faster rolling on the rear?

On my 29er I now have a Vittoria Barzo on the front and a Mezcal on the rear. They have them in 650b as well as 29.

https://www.vittoria.com/eu/barzo-xc.html
https://www.vittoria.com/eu/mezcal-xc.html

They've been good so far but due to C-19 I've not been off the Island with them yet. I can report back in 2 weeks post Scotland if that helps.

If you go Vittoria then the ones you want at the ones with the Anthracite (dark grey) side wall. The black sidewalls are the rigid bead (wire) and the Para sidewall (tan) is the lightweight race version but the sidewall isn't as tough.
Looks forward to seeing how well they do in Scotland, thanks Sean, I will check these out!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can only apologise enough! I blame the Americanisation of the internet!
Me too and apology accepted on behalf of all non-Americans everywhere :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I’ve got Smart Sam f/b, big difference all round from the WTB’s that came with it , better rolling and speed on hard surface and less noise, good deal from Planet X at the time
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Smart Sam front and Marathon XR rear was always my choice on my old Orange P7 26er when bikepacking used to be off-road touring.
A very useful pairing for mixed surface riding with an MTB bias. Not used the combo for sometime now as I’m now on 29+
I still like Schwalbe tyres for my 700c wheeled bikes though and don’t disagree for a minute on the dazzling array of choices with bewildering nomenclature. Must be what it would be like to beparachuted directly from 1970’s Hull into Starbucks to ask for coffee then Subway to get a sandwich.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Smart Sam I think is a really nice tyre for "gravel"/light off-road stuff as it rolls really well, but still decent grip.
It was never great as a pure MTB XC tyre and I think I have used the ones I have more in the last year or so than in the previous 8.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Trevstonbury wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:44 pm Looks forward to seeing how well they do in Scotland, thanks Sean, I will check these out!
Just remembered I haven't reported back on the performance of the tyres in Scotland, Vittoria Barzo on the front and a Mezcal on the rear.

I covered 600km of mixed terrain from tarmac, rock, loose rock, gravel, mud, bog and rivers :smile:

Zero punctures, no incidents due to lock of grip and fast rolling, not just on the roads but also off road. They had a tough time as well, as you can imagine, after 30 hours or riding I was not able to position the bike as accurately as when fresh so they've hit plenty of bits of rock I'd usually avoid, all with no noticeable damage.

10/10 from me :-bd