Whats this 'rock'

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Whats this 'rock'

Post by redefined_cycles »

This is gonna all be a bit vague.... I'm sorry.

So the other day I did a night shift - they were desperate and I needed to ride a Welsh hill but didn't have petrol money to go for a leisure ride - at Aberswyth. Like you do... Then on the way back I decided that I couldn't go to see the sea, as it was a long ride home and the climbs at Aberswyth were a bit shallow (in height, not beauty), but would ride The Long Mountain on road version of it.

Somehow 3 hours later (slept in car on some layby when the going got too tiring... twas a beautiful day) I found an industrial estate to park the car and did the hill. This is where it gets confusing...

At some point on that commute home, either before or after The Long Mountain, I saw the most beautiful piece of rock to my right. Bloomin welsh roads, can't look at the amazing views lest you'll crash.

This screenshot is all I have to show for it. At least I think this was taken when I just couldn't find anywhere to park to take enjoy 'said' rock/mountain. Does anyone have any clue what I'm going on about. Wasn't anything in the Snowdonia national park as that was somewhere to my left and I'd already left it behind (I think). Look to be about 1000ft high with a flat top. Very very wide as I could still see it to my right-back after a km or 2 down the road...

Please help as it was gorgeous and the sort of place I'd love to go back to. Just to stand and stare at it (Wales.. Peaks... Lakes... you absolute beauties**).

** I only say this as I saw all 3 this week. Ridden around Peaks with its golden hills and thought there was nothing more beautiful and Wales (well the national parks there) clearly ain't as beautiful. Then a few days later I saw the Welsh mountains and realised Peaks was nowt. Then somehow I ended up at the Lakes and with its sharp peaks I realised the beauty is just all around us everywhere!
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Re: Whats this 'rock'

Post by RIP »

Breidden Hill / Moel Y Golfa probably... dunno who would put a golf course on top of a hill though.

I know I'm 'really' in Wales when I see it from the train window.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP

Post by RIP »

Got Criggion Quarry on it. Basalt. Or dolerite rather. Once had one of the highest single faces in the UK at 600' high. Presumably an old volcano.

We still love quarries :smile:

Probably the quarry that drew your eyes towards it Shaf, rather than the scenery :wink:
:smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:43 pm Got Criggion Quarry on it. Basalt. Once had one of the highest single faces in the UK at 600' high.

We still love quarries :smile: .
Yes... glad you said that about the rock face. Remember driving past and thinking back to my 'lack if understanding' of North Face's... Then checming my watch and realising I (might have) been looking the north face of it and there must be summat about north faces that makes em sharper and flatter and more horrible to climb! I dont have a clue to be fair but did feel priveleged and 'I've come far' type feeling to have even thought the thought...

Yes... the rock on the side was beautiful also. Wonder what happens if they found you bivying upon their beatiful golf course (must be flat... sleep on someone else's golf course... who would do such a thing)
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm being naughty about the golf course.... "Moel Y Golfa"... :wink: . You're right that a golf course might be a nice well-tended bivvy spot though :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:40 pm This?

https://goo.gl/maps/hwTtHhypJgXjhLv57
Cant actually see it from there Colin. It literally had a flat face like Reg described and flat at the top. If only google hadn't decided to takw away north/south from theie maps I could have driven up and down vitually and found it
redefined_cycles

Just looked and googled them names... Nope. Don't think it's any of em. Like I said I could have my timeline confused and possibly took the photo later/earlier as it was after a night shift with just enough sleep to drive-well (whatever that is)...

Best way to describe the side that I saw was that its was a massive but square-ish rock. Was huge and had me thinking I'm looking at one of the Snowdonia mountains until I realised Snowdonia was to me left... was definitely to me right and the angle was definitely alot steeper.

Maybe I'll never know.. maybe I was hallucinating!
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I hope you saw Admiral Rodneys pillar?

Weird this thread has popped up, I’ve just been looking at a campsite with views of the hill

Edit. It’s (well there’s two peaks) the only real stand out hill around there
Last edited by UnderTheRadars on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye, another of those weird BBB threads that throws up interesting connections :smile:.

Offa's Dyke goes across it so probably had quite a colourful history with skirmishes and whatnot.

Good pub near that campsite Radars (oops many apologies for mentioning that in Shaf's thread, I'll get me coat :???: )
Last edited by RIP on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

redefined_cycles

Looks like I managed to get a pic of it afterall but only just I think... the face I'm talking about is to the bottom left of this pic and I suppise the screenshot (and Reg description as well as Colins were bob on... Obviously google maps hasn't managed to capture what I saw very well!)
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Yup, that’s the badger

And where your location was when you took phone screen shot you were just about on Offa’s Dyke
redefined_cycles

Have heard the word 'Offas Dyke' mentioend on the forum before. Now I understand why. I'm gonna ride there and take a proper look one day (God Willing) as the google driveCam obviously can't do even a half decent shot. Hope Stu puts it on the BB200 somewhere (or shouldn't I wish such things!)..
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 pm Aye, another of those weird BBB threads that throws up interesting connections :smile:.

Offa's Dyke goes across it so probably had quite a colourful history with skirmishes and whatnot.

Good pub near that campsite Radars (oops many apologies for mentioning that in Shaf's thread, I'll get me coat :???: )
Lol... nothing stopping you mentioning pub in my thread Reg. Just don't get me a drink :lol: :-bd
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:17 pm Have heard the word 'Offas Dyke' mentioend on the forum before. Now I understand why. I'm gonna ride there and take a proper look one day (God Willing) as the google driveCam obviously can't do even a half decent shot. Hope Stu puts it on the BB200 somewhere (or shouldn't I wish such things!)..
I could put together a nice* ride that takes in Shropshire’s highest peaks and plenty of Offa’s Dyke for you

* if you like lots of steep climbs :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

So to add to Radars campsite connection here's another wacky one. Considering I was being naughty with the Golfa / Golfer reference (c'mon gimme a break..) ((and thank goodness we're not in Spain..)), there actually is a golf-course nearby at Llanymynech, and it has an interesting claim to fame...... :smile:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk- ... -dilemma

Well this has livened up a boring Saturday evening thank you Shaf :smile: .

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Yes it’s a very scenic course that
RIP

Post by RIP »

I thought my golfa / golfer thing was just a feeble attempt at a pun, but I've confused myself further because the Welsh English translator says 'golfa' indeed translates to 'golf' :???: . However in the other direction 'golf' is 'golff' so I have absolutely no idea what's going on now and intend to wander off in the direction of a cup of tea and a biscuit and pretend Shaf had never started this thread.

(Nice part of the world you live in there Radars..)

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

At least you didn’t go down the route of rock puns, it wouldn’t have been very gneiss of you
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: :-bd

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:32 pm I thought my golfa / golfer thing was just a feeble attempt at a pun, but I've confused myself further because the Welsh English translator says 'golfa' indeed translates to 'golf' :???: . However in the other direction 'golf' is 'golff' so I have absolutely no idea what's going on now and intend to wander off in the direction of a cup of tea and a biscuit and pretend Shaf had never started this thread.

(Nice part of the world you live in there Radars..)
Ok... Funny you should mention that Reg. Cos when I was riding (UTR, probably a no thanks to your route as you've scared me off with the mention of hills.. but in true Boris fashion... I do like hills :smile: so yes please... erm... will there be a bivy spot up high with good views and where my road bike won't grt overwhelmed... long way to ride on the mtb!) cos as I was climbing Long Mtn, I considered that the Welsh titled their mountain Long Mountain but then over in sunny Shropshire England they decided to title their Long Mntn with the welsh equivalent wording of Long Myynd...

Did they discuss it over dinner and decide to pretend theong mountain in englad should be given the welsh name. Also, (maybe ask Boris) does the welsh titled Long Myynd hold the welsh rules cos its named in Welsh. So bloomin confusing. Glad I found my rock (looked better in person on lack of sleep!)...

Apologies on that long bracket above but the Guardian article had Boris' old vid on. He confused me... again...
redefined_cycles

UnderTheRadars wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:35 pm At least you didn’t go down the route of rock puns, it wouldn’t have been very gneiss of you
Nice :lol:
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Ah I don’t live over that way (just spend a lot of time in Shropshire and the borders) I’m about 50 odd miles east
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well spotted with the Mountain / Mynd inversion Mr Shaf :smile: .

Or is it? Maybe a Shropshire Lad (or Lass obviously) could tell us if Mynd is a corruption of Mynydd or is actually an old Salop word meaning 'Very Icy Place Where Reg Ripped His Brand New Jacket To Shreds'.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Look familiar Shaf?

May the bridges you burn light your way