Lamina to Alpkit bag choices

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Lamina to Alpkit bag choices

Post by ootini »

hi.

I currently have a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35 sleeping bag which I like but I fancy an upgrade.
Based on experience with the Lamina I'd say I sleepwalk, and I'm comfortable to uts EN limit rating of 0*c or thereabouts.

Bang for buck seems to lean toward the Alpkit offerings. Specifically, the Sky-high 500 at a similar weight to the Lamina, but a limt of -4*c, and cost of around £150. Question is, is this really an upgrade or a sideways step?
The Pipedream 400 is obviously a better bag with higher FP down used, weighs less at 865 grams, EN limit of -10*c (I doubt I'll ever be out at this temp), but is more expensive again at £220. I could stretch to this, but dont want to ignore the more budget friendly Sky-high option.
Anyone have experience of these bags?
Chew

Re: Lamina to Alpkit bag choices

Post by Chew »

ootini wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:27 pmBang for buck seems to lean toward the Alpkit offerings. Specifically, the Sky-high 500 at a similar weight to the Lamina, but a limt of -4*c, and cost of around £150. Question is, is this really an upgrade or a sideways step?
Sideways

Look at the comfort rating rather than limit rating.
Comfort is where you will be able to sleep
Limit you’ll be ok but uncomfortable/miserable

What are you looking for specially?
ootini

Post by ootini »

Chew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:45 pm
ootini wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:27 pmBang for buck seems to lean toward the Alpkit offerings. Specifically, the Sky-high 500 at a similar weight to the Lamina, but a limt of -4*c, and cost of around £150. Question is, is this really an upgrade or a sideways step?
Sideways

Look at the comfort rating rather than limit rating.
Comfort is where you will be able to sleep
Limit you’ll be ok but uncomfortable/miserable

What are you looking for specially?
Ideally, a reduction in pack size and a minor improvement in insulation would be good too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ideally, a reduction in pack size and a minor improvement in insulation would be good too.
I'd have thought the Skyhigh will certainly pack smaller than the Lamina given it's down. However, an increase in fp is usually worthwhile as it'll produce an increase in rating and reduce packsize. It's also worth considering the shell fabric as a reduction in weight there will also reduce packsize (and weight obviously).
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

With all this in mind... when will you have the Criterion bags available Stu?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

when will you have the Criterion bags available Stu?
Should be by the end of this week hopefully - although I'll be away from Sun until Wed of next week.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:11 pm
when will you have the Criterion bags available Stu?
Should be by the end of this week hopefully - although I'll be away from Sun until Wed of next week.
No panic Stu. I can hang on.