Etrex 30 mapping not loading

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Etrex 30 mapping not loading

Post by sean_iow »

On a few occasions the mapping on my Etrex hasn't loaded when I start it up, so I just have a blank screen with the route on.

Turning off and on again seems to fix it. The maps are on the Micro SD card. Anyone else had this before? Wondering if it's the card or the contacts?

Is worthwhile having a second card with the maps on as a backup?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Re: Etrex 30 mapping not loading

Post by fatbikephil »

Used to happen to my dakota from time to time - the SD card had come loose. Then one day it wouldn't load the maps at all and it turned out the SD card was duff. Fortunately I had the maps backed up on the 'puter so dumped them on a new card and all was well.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Think it will be a trip to town tomorrow to get a new card. Not working here is one thing, but not having any mapping in the Cairngorms would be sub-optimal :lol:
Chew

Post by Chew »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:35 pmTurning off and on again seems to fix it. The maps are on the Micro SD card. Anyone else had this before? Wondering if it's the card or the contacts?

Is worthwhile having a second card with the maps on as a backup?
Now and again. Usually just take the card out, give it a wipe and put it back in and it’s worked fine.
Unscientificly it’s probably just the vibrations and a bit of oxidisation on the contacts.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've covered all bases.

1) cleaned the contacts in the eTrex
2) bought a new card

I also renewed my TalkyToaster subscription and now have the latest maps and the copy for basecamp. I hadn't had new maps for over 2 years, that went by fast.

The new card (32GB) was on special in Asda, only £13. This also meant I could install the new maps on a separate card and still have the old as a backup. The micro SD is so small I've actually stored the old one inside the etrex by just taping it over the card holder. So I'll know where it is and it's also protected from moisture.

The updated maps have more detail and now show a shaded representation of the terrain height when zoomed out :-bd The extra details include the hedge at the front of my house, thought how this is of any use I don't know as I see the hedge every day so don't need a map to locate it. Hopefully there are other new details of more use :lol: