GRVL-bar bag... and stuff?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

GRVL-bar bag... and stuff?

Post by redefined_cycles »

So... The Revelate integrated (the one without a seperate harness... so an all in one design) bar bag doesn't really fit here on the bars of the roadie/gravelly...

But it turns out the Trekkertent with the BB poles and pegs should fit neatly at this junction if I had the appropriate(ly) cheap bar bag.

It seems the Aguille (which fits the appropriately cheap criteria) might be a tad bit small at 3.5L as this Alpkit drybag with the poles/pegs/TTstealth is 5L but fits it all nicely...

This is the 25 quid (what a bargain btw, if it's a good harness design) Aguille bar bag I mentioned which probably won't work for me https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/produc ... ontour-bag

So the 1.2kg (why do I keep forgetting name of that bag brand!!) 600g of down Zissou bag with my Thermarest mat and 400g RAB down jacket fits nicely in the 17L Ortlieb saddlepack with room to spare for snacks...

Once I find an appropriately sized bar bag, I'll have the actual hard-inner Trekkertent with poles covered (well... 'carried'). Water either in the frame bottle cages or on my back if it's just gonna become icy cold and knacker my chest (ex heart infection periMyocarditis survivor - Thanks to Allah - so really need to protect my chest from too much cold... in the cold, if you get my meaning). So I suppose it'll be on my back with summst like what Bob carries on his silly expeditions, though I know mine won't be that bad. Having said that, last years but one, end-of-year orphan charity-ride had a mate tap out from meeting me as he kept slipping on the ice and i managed to keep going as I'd prepared a route with bus-lanes in mind (again, got fortunate: Thanks to God).

That thwn leaves me to empty the half-frame bag (Apidura 4.5L waterproof thingy) from the tool kit (will be in touch with Stu in due time to grab a new swanky Acepac tool pouch) which can live above the BB. So coffee/stove/pasta or whatever can live in there with spare socks and waterproofs (need to still grab that superlight and lovely Montane Atomic the HT550 veterans suggested)...

Hmmmm... Maybe the VHB 3m needs ordering to strengthen my waterproof TT bag on the topTube (thanks Slarge, the Kitchen and Bathroom sealant worked lovely but still in phase1)...

Sorry for the long read. Might aswell clear it all up in my head whilst am at it, especially since I always chicken out from BAM12monther due to the lovely winter :shock: (chickenPoop me :o )...

Oh, and don't forget to suggest that cheaper grvl-bar-loving bag I needs for my tent to go on bars!
jameso

Re: GRVL-bar bag... and stuff?

Post by jameso »

I reckon all that tent needs to fit your bars is an hour of DIY ...

- 2 lengths of 25mm+ wide webbing with clip buckles that have a ladder-lock to tension on one side - this wraps n straps the tent tight into the bar
- a bit of sewing to add 2 or 3 'ladder rungs' of the right length between those lengths of webbing
- a tough-ish bag to put the tent in

And if you need the bag to be spaced away from the bar
- a couple of foam stand-off blocks as used on Revelate or Ortlieb bar rolls
- a couple of plastic loops ('Glide Slides' work well - pass one strap through each loop) to double back the webbing / create the loop that goes around the bars, these sit on the bag side rather than the bar side of the foam and take the stress of the foam block and make tensioning it all into place a bit easier

I made a DIY bar roll strap like this for my first few trips - it didn't use foam blocks which made tensioning it all down easier. If you use stand-off blocks it can help to use buckles that have a ladder-lock tensioning ability on both sides.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I use a Revelate Harness and 13L Alpkit drybag. Fits well within the drops.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've used the 15l ortlieb bar bag between drops - just had to put a few extra rolls in it so it was probably closer to 10l capacity.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:20 am Oh, and don't forget to suggest that cheaper grvl-bar-loving bag I needs for my tent to go on bars!
I've probably missed something again, but for the above, based on the photo at the top that looks good to me! Just add some voile straps/toe straps and strap it onto the bars. Optional bin bag if you want it really waterproof...
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I agree, you've got the answer right there - just add a couple of Voile straps to the drybag and you're done. I used the exact same setup this weekend just gone:

I've used the Alpkit drybag with a couple of straps much more than my harness or full bar roll setup, as it's so easy to just lob on and go.
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that everyone... Voile straps (well mine are) a bit short but I reckon I could make myself a simple harness with similar to what Jameso said but without as much complexitiy (only cos I'm thankfully using the AK bag which has them welded loop points)...
Really grateful and will post on here what I come up with (I have a tiny plan :-bd based on the above responses... or did I already say that :smile: )
redefined_cycles