Salsa recall

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Salsa recall

Post by jameso »

These and the Cutthroat forks all recalled within a couple of weeks. Made by one of the biggest carbon frame and fork manufacturers in China - if Salsa's forks aren't sound then there may be a lot of others out there with questions over safety, since process is so often at fault rather than just the design (from what I've seen, which I'd be the first to say still isn't a lot when it comes to carbon).
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:00 am Made by one of the biggest carbon frame and fork manufacturers in China
which one?

I don't ride Salsa but would get a replacement from QBP and happily ride on.
It's not like the recalled forks all fall apart, more likely that a few or even just one out of many has failed.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not exactly the first QBP fork to have recalls either.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I didnt see the Waxwings but for the cutthroat it's only the batch that have a "g" in the serial number.

I'm pleased to say mine aren't from that batch so are OK. I expect they are being over cautious, but either way its good they are being very vocal in their recall.
jameso

Post by jameso »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 am I expect they are being over cautious, but either way its good they are being very vocal in their recall.
They have to be by law - CPSC or UK Trading Standards etc make it very clear what you have to do in these cases. You need to make it really clear and obvious to your customers and do it fast.
This will be a really expensive and time-consuming process and they wouldn't do it unless there was evidence of material defects or production flaws (vs a crash/misuse), though the batch point suggests they identified where the problem was or what went wrong.