Winter gravel tyre - Resolute v Ravager

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Winter gravel tyre - Resolute v Ravager

Post by ootini »

A lot of the routes and trails local to me get quite gloopy during the winter months so I'm considering swapping the WTB Riddlers on my Arkose for something a little more mud friendly / MTB-esque. I only have a 700c wheelset at present, so the two current contenders are the Maxxis Ravager and WTB Resolute, does anyone have experience of both ?
Or suggestions for another option?

Thanks
Boab

Re: Winter gravel tyre - Resolute v Ravager

Post by Boab »

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I can' be any help, but I'm watching this as I'm in a similar position. The Maxxis Ramblers I'm running have been great all through summer for the mixed riding that I do, but are quite disconcerting in the mud.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'm in a similar position, but tend to just ride more roads/lanes in the winter as i'm no fan of real slop. Purely judging by pictures, i'm not sure the Ravager is much of an improvement over the Riddler, they both have a similar tread down the middle, the Ravager just has bigger side knobs - which doesn't really help with braking or straight line traction. I tend to think that if you're in the mud you're unlikely to be going fast enough to be leaning over to use the side knobs. Resolute looks better as the knobs are deeper. Maybe g-One Ultrabite depending how muddy you go?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Not tried the Ravagers, but have ridden Resolutes a fair bit. I'd say they're excellent on rough/loose gravelly surfaces, but do get overfaced quickly by gloop (though still better than G-one allrounds and Teravail Cannonballs). Senderos were an improvement, but I think they're only 650b.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Also, I'd forgotten, but the Continental Mud King 1.8 is an option. But i guess once its that muddy, you just get the hardtail out...
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I was thinking of a Riddler/Raddler combination or all round as my winter tyres.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I put resolutes on the bike last winter but one to replace a set of riddlers and I never did get round to swapping them out again for the summer. I've even done the coast to coast by road with them on because I was too lazy to swap them back out again. A really nice grippy all round tyre that's coped well with a wide range of sand, gravel and dirt and isn't too draggy on the road. The only time I can remember them losing traction was over a wet root system while running them at over 40psi - I've not taken them through really deep mud though
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Could a user of Resolute 42mm tyres please measure across the casing of an inflated tyre with some callipers. I’m interested in how wide they are in reality including the side knobs.
I may just have room to run some on my Transition Rapture CX. Thanks
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC