so, this Columbia outdry stuff.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

so, this Columbia outdry stuff.....

Post by ton »

is bloody fantastic. :-bd

after years of boil in the bag goretex, cold sweaty sympatex, soggy merino, hot sweaty super roubaix and drown from the inside oil skin, i now have a waterproof that keeps me dry and not too sweaty.

rode home 10 miles yesterday in a deluge. dry.
rode in 8 miles this morning, in a deluge. dry.

just perfect, thanks for the heads up whoever told me about it.
quimarche

Re: so, this Columbia outdry stuff.....

Post by quimarche »

Tony

Which of the many OutDry jackets do you have?
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Interested to hear how it compares with gore shakedry, if anyone had experience of both? I've got the latter and was very excited to try it out on the cold/wet day at last year's tnr, but as with every other jacket I've ever owned, I ended up soaked, presumably in sweat, rather than from rain ingress. I am something of a super sweater, so wasn't too surprised, but might be tempted to try the the columbia stuff if people reckon it's materially better? For what it's worth, I've pretty much given up on wearing a waterproof for anything over about 10 miles due to the boil in the bag effect - I'd rather get wet but be able to breathe - but would love something that genuinely achieved both.
ton

Post by ton »

Which of the many OutDry jackets do you have?
the Ex Reign model.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Retiredtester wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:08 am I am something of a super sweater, so wasn't too surprised, but might be tempted to try the the columbia stuff if people reckon it's materially better?
I also fall into your super sweater category. The Outdry's decent - not perfect breathability but it's as good/ better than anything else I've owned. Doesn't pack as small as some of the more lightweight jackets but is noticably sturdier and more resistant to tears/rips off brambles etc. which have dogged things like a Montane Minimus I've had.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Retiredtester wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:08 am Interested to hear how it compares with gore shakedry, if anyone had experience of both? I've got the latter and was very excited to try it out on the cold/wet day at last year's tnr, but as with every other jacket I've ever owned, I ended up soaked, presumably in sweat, rather than from rain ingress. I am something of a super sweater, so wasn't too surprised, but might be tempted to try the the columbia stuff if people reckon it's materially better? For what it's worth, I've pretty much given up on wearing a waterproof for anything over about 10 miles due to the boil in the bag effect - I'd rather get wet but be able to breathe - but would love something that genuinely achieved both.
I don't have the jacket but mt deep winter gloves are in Outdry tech. Have taken em down to about -4 and remained comfortably warm as well as in heavy downpours over extended periods and remained warm. In warmer weathers like say 3 or 5 degrees I've not found em clammy or uncomfy at all. My background is that many years ago fingers would get so cold I thought I had Raynauds or some other problems...

I'd say try and borrow one and see you got on. Or buy one in the sales and try for yourself over an extended period. Almost bought one myself yesterday
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I only rode to and from the pub in it last night, but was very glad of it, it was absolutely torrential.

Noticed a small patch on the arm this morning though where the grey outer has completely come off just leaving the white inner layer. I presume I caught it on something very abrasive because it's otherwise pretty robust. I've had to put a blob of seam sealer on to stop the outer delaminating further. Shame but still the best jacket I've ever owned.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The thing I like about my Outdry is that you can just wipe it down with a damp cloth when it gets dirty rather than having to wash it which in my experience eventually leads to lack of waterproofing. I know you can re proof stuff but I've never really been satisfied with the results.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As Ray says, it's the longer term ownership thing that seems to set it apart.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Retiredtester wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:08 am Interested to hear how it compares with gore shakedry, if anyone had experience of both?
I have both and I love both,
You will sweat in both, but go for the Outdry with pit zips, when you feel yourself getting hotter in the rain, lean forwards more and undo the front zips to help air flow.
I feel that the Gore is more breathable and the Outdry is more boil in the bag
The Outdry is heavier and harder wearing
You can put a back pack on with the Outdry but not the Gore
The Gore packs down into it's pocket smaller than the Outdry and weighs less too
The Outdry isn't designed to be folded into a pocket
If weight and pack size is an issue go with the Gore and the Outdry is always bulkier and heavier
Both are as fantastically waterproof as each other, neither ever need re proofing with DWR, I wash mine in the warm shower with me after a ride if needed.
My Outdry hood can be made to go over a helmet whereas the Gore hood (on the running one that I prefer because of the hood - R = Running & C - Cycling) goes under your helmet.
My Outdry was one of the first where I started to sing it's praises, it's got the odd rub and wear mark on it now but still looks almost as good as new and works as good as the day I got it around 5 years ago.
The Gore is new this year so I can't comment on it's longevity.
The Outdry would withstand a bramble fight the Gore wouldn't

I can't think of anything else ATM, but I would never consider any so called waterproof with a DWR going forward
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

their is a lightweight outdry that does fit in its pocket - well a pouch as the pocket is huge
Its packs down to under 1 litre in size - its going to be warmer than shakedry I assume though I dont have one of them.

Tend to agree that its often a question between wet from rain or wet from sweat - i end to base this on how hot it is and how much rain there is and really cold is the enemy not wet - wet is just unpleasant- STOP BEING SOFT
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'll second everything JC said.
Both are great for waterproofing, DWR is dead to me.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Agree with everything that's been said above.

The robustness, durability, ease of care (I just dunk mine in a bucket if it's got really muddy) are big points for me, for environmental, financial, and just convenience reasons.

The pit zips are another big win for me - the fabric might not be the most breathable, but in most conditions you can open them up and get enough airflow that it's not an issue. The massive pockets are also really handy for shoving food, drinks, and other bits and pieces in for easy accessibility rather than faffing with bags/rucksacks/jersey pockets.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've not been struck by outdry's as having such good breathable but I can overcome most jackets being the sweaty barsteward that I am.

However, I have always killed (in relatively short order) every DWR jacket and found re-proofing / washing etc a fag. On this front Outdry wins hands down and for that alone, to me, it's worth it.

Everyone else has made lots of good points about it's other advantages. Not perfect but the best combination of compromises.

Wish I could find the lightweight one going cheap again to justify a second as the first lives in my walking sack and it is the best coat for most of my jaunts. Would love another to live in my riding pack.
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

Outdry ex reign jacket £93 if you're an XL Colour: Collegiate Navy Heather
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... 49092.html

Personally I love my Shakedry, It has never let me get wet and breathes brilliantly... not very durable though, put my thumb through it the very first day when doing the zip up, no more holes since though but I definitely would not put a rucksack over it

As for Outdry, I have a pair of Sportful gloves in Outdry and found them to be as waterproof as a sponge!
techno

Post by techno »

Delv4 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:12 pm Outdry ex reign jacket £93 if you're an XL Colour: Collegiate Navy Heather
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... 49092.html

Personally I love my Shakedry, It has never let me get wet and breathes brilliantly... not very durable though, put my thumb through it the very first day when doing the zip up, no more holes since though but I definitely would not put a rucksack over it

As for Outdry, I have a pair of Sportful gloves in Outdry and found them to be as waterproof as a sponge!
all sizes for £93 in the "Bright Chartreuse Heather" :lol: This:
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks all. It's the lack of breathability that stops me wearing jackets, so if the outdry is, at best, equivalent to the shakedry in this regard, I'll probably swerve it.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

techno wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:27 pm all sizes for £93 in the "Bright Chartreuse Heather" :lol: This:
To be honest, I'd rather wear this colour wen riding on roads than the grey of my Outdry or Gore.
Safety first fashion later.
But this yellow is £155

It's the blue at £93 if anyone is interested
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... A2%20Reign
techno

Post by techno »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:45 pm To be honest, I'd rather wear this colour wen riding on roads than the grey of my Outdry or Gore.
Safety first fashion later.
But this yellow is £155

It's the blue at £93 if anyone is interested
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... A2%20Reign
Ah, whoops. My mistake, sorry to get people's hopes up.
javatime

Post by javatime »

Yes, at last something that works and isn't too expensive if you find a deal.

Very comfy riding wear during mixed conditions on Offa's Bike last week

Now, why don't they do trousers ??