What Handlebar Bell - I know forgive me

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: What Handlebar Bell - I know forgive me

Post by Lazarus »

cheers all interesting debate tbh i prefer to speak and only have a bell to avoid those sort of complaints as my commute has about 8 miles of narrowish [ you can get past if they dont move ] so it gives me the "moral high ground" .Its not perfect as it wontmake everyone polite and cheerful/considerate.

Some actually thank me for having a bell amazingly some still moan i dont have bell even though I have used it
Interesting article that justfies their product and " copyright" infringment and i can see why they are annoyed - however they would never get that amount of money from me for a bell so even if i buy a copy [ not sure yet] they wont be losing a customer.
Lovely sound from one mind and I like the idea of one bell for life
Mm decisions decison.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I love my Ding-Dong bell.

Sure, few on here will like it 'coz of the size and weight, but it does give a very pleasing "Avon calling" ding-dong that has never got a grumpy response from anyone. I ding it when 50-70 metres away and it gets people out of my way with a smile. People smile at the ridiculousness of it.

But, it ain't easy to move between bikes and it's big and heavy. It works fine in the rain though, and only cost a tenner.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice ringer. I think MuddyPete might just have the edge over you though Lu :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Delighted to oblige, Reg old chap :wink: .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEaI4yWFgiz ... 3c3bvwgouq

Made by Yepp.nl and bought from a bike shop in Amsterdam in 2016 :grin: .
May you always have tail wind.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

The Crane bells are almost excellent, walkers can heat you a long way off and they even seem able to penetrate the heating of the headphones on and oblivious crowd.

The band is annoying, just a coated wire on mine that’s probably to movement
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Beware the cheap pinger bells sold in LBSs. This is the type that are a dome on a central pillar with a sprung pinger - they/mine don't work in the rain.
Water gets into the support bit and the resulting dull sound cannot be heard.

My Knog Oi seems to keep working in all weathers but rather annoyingly they do two size versions but no adaptor if you want to change the mounting position from thick to thin part of your bars.
(Use those left over Shimano front mech plastic mounting adjusters and trim them down a bit) :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I thought the Oi was awful, but they do a bigger one now that might be better?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

The Lezyne bells are useless IME. I have a mini one that looks lovely but is so quiet I have trouble hearing it myself.

I swallowed my scruples and bought a job lot of Rockbros bells. Very pleased with them.

However, it is definitely true that old people sometimes just don’t hear a high-pitched bell. I’ve had several run-ins with old ladies who’ve just not heard my repeated dinging and then have given me the “Haven’t you got a bell?” Once I’ve given up and tried a loud but polite “Good afternoon”. :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was once riding down a narrow bridleway when I spotted an old couple walking ahead, going the same way as me, him at the back and his wife about 20 foot ahead.

I rang my bell in good time to warn him, upon which he got his phone out of his pocket, looks at the screen and then puts it back in his pocket.

I ring my bell again and once more he gets his phone out, looks at the screen and puts it back in his pocket.

I'm now riding at waking pace behind him, a third ring of my bell eventually attracts his wifes attention who gestures to him my presence. He moves out of the way and as I ride past he asks "haven't you got a bell?" :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

And in a spooky coincidence there are new signs on the cycle-path

You may also spot that I rode the Spearfish to work, at only about 150 feet of climbing in 7.5 miles of mainly tarmac I was somewhat over-biked :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JackT

Post by JackT »

Lion Bell Works is making bells in Manchester (parts are manufactured in Birmingham and Barnsley). Nice low pitch, good resonance - judging from the website, I don’t own one. £20. And they’ll engrave it for you for £6. Tempting!

https://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just had my rockbros bell turn up... I think I actually prefer the ring on it to my Crane.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

well I went for the rockbros as well but not turned up yet and also went for the HTrider [iirc] recomendation as its easier to swap between bikes
neither has arrived but thankfully the shared use path is quiet at the minute -
the one thing i would say a bell has - because you can use it from distance, without it being seen as agressive, as opposed to shouting - is that you dont have to slow as much if they respond to the bell. Using the voice i do slow a lot more so I dont sound angry when i shout