Impossible to fit a bar bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

UnderTheRadars

Impossible to fit a bar bag?

Post by UnderTheRadars »

This is my ‘busy’ bar set up on my cross bike. Just wondering if this is the most impossible set up for bar bag use? Cross top/wuss levers, Hope V-Twin and old school cables coming from the top of the levers (these do my head in) If you think it could be done let me know your suggestions

Excuse the worn bar tape, I’ve some lovely Jo Burt Kinesis tape to wrap when I can be arsed
jameso

Re: Impossible to fit a bar bag?

Post by jameso »

I'm really no fan of internal cables and all that fussy tidying up on current bikes... but that is almost enough to convince me it's a good idea : )

If you had a sensible steel fork or some useful eyelets on the fork you have I'd say a light rack would be an great solution.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Maybe something using a Rixen Kaul Klickfix mount? You'll need at least 83mm of space for the clamps between the cross-top brake levers, and it will space a bag out ~50mm from the bars.
For the gear cables, I've seen folk hack them using V-brake noodles where the cable comes out of the shifter. This makes for a sharper change of direction, and can free up space between the shifters.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Yup, to coin an old phrase used for Jones bikes (?)...... It looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory

That’s an idea For the gear cables, mind I just need to get my arse in gear and post a wanted thread for a pair of shifters that don’t have this problem
Last edited by UnderTheRadars on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

You’d probably get away with a Specialized Stabilizer bar bag harness.
The harness is held away from the bars with a simple frame.
I use one and it works well on drops.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... gLa4vD_BwE
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

Those KF mounts or the Salsa/ BurraBurra type bag extensions are a bad idea for anything but a heavy-loaded tourer imo. Yes we need to clear the cables but punting the weight of your bar bag another 80-100mm out front isn't good.

Compared to mounting a bag directly to a bar that's attached to an 80mm stem, if you push the bag out another 80mm you have to move that weight in an arc twice as long for every movement you make at the bag. Over a 45 degree steering arc you need to swing that bar bag in a 125mm arc instead of 63mm. And the more it moves in a given amount of time (ie you still want to steer at the same speed, right?!) the more momentum it has, so the harder it is to react/correct. It's just a a bad idea if you want the weight in your bags to have as little impact as possible on the handling. It's an easy solution to sell but I'd re-cable my bike before using a bag that makes it handle worse.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

True. But if you need to push the weight out because you have no other option then you have no other option.
FWIW you don’t need to send the Specialized bag out any further than you need because the mount is adjustable.
I probably only have 1.8kg attached to my bars and don’t have any problems.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
chris n

Post by chris n »

Ditch the cross top levers and get the hope thing mounted as close to the underside of the stem as possible, maybe with some elbow/banjo fittings to get some clearance to the hoses.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 am True. But if you need to push the weight out because you have no other option then you have no other option.
FWIW you don’t need to send the Specialized bag out any further than you need because the mount is adjustable.
I probably only have 1.8kg attached to my bars and don’t have any problems.

Yeah, a balance between position and weight might not be too bad.