What sleeping pad /mat?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tempo10

What sleeping pad /mat?

Post by Tempo10 »

Hi new to site, trying to get my kit smaller got alpkit and vango 3/4 mats don't pack down small though, any suggestions on alternatives please
ScotRoutes

Re: What sleeping pad /mat?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Exped Synmat or Thermarest Neoair are the two forum favourites.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

What's your height and build, and do you camp all year round?
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Colin says, Exped or Neoair generally favoured. There is some love for the Alpkit Numo too but you need to remember that it's not insulated so many folk would find it too cold to use all year round.

I've heard good reports about the Big Agness insulated mats but never tried one.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Remember that unlike a sleeping bag or quilt there's no real upper temperature rating for a sleeping pad so you might as well get the warmest that you can afford or are comfortable with the packed volume because it will be fine in summer as well.

I've an Exped Winterlite Synmat while my wife has the Hyperlite Synmat. We've used them in the Arctic in winter and in a heatwave in France. The Hyperlite rolls up to about the size of a standard water bottle whereas the Winterlite is a little bigger.
The photo below has from L-R: 500ml water bottle; cheap uninsulated Multimat; Hyperlite; Winterlite; 750ml water bottle.

The mats are well packed but not extremely so, they unravelled a little while I was setting up the shot.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Tempo10

Post by Tempo10 »

Normally 3 seasons but looking at increasing my hardability 😂😂... I'm 6ft, 125 kgs so not small.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I'm quite a warm sleeper and I use a Thermarest Uberlite unless there's frost on the ground (I can get away with this on freezing nights as long as the ground isn't frozen when I set up camp), and an Exped Synmat UL when the ground will be frozen, both in the full length, wide versions. I always carry a torso length of 3mm CCF mat to lounge around on, which I can use to back these up if necessary.
Bilbo Baggins.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you use a quilt in preference to a bag, you might also prefer an insulated mat.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The two Exped mats in that shot are mummy shaped and I think are the standard width which are just wide enough for me at 86kgs. You might want to look at the wider models depending on how you sleep - active, on your side/back, etc. Obviously that will add bulk and weight.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Tempo10

Post by Tempo10 »

Cheers all, a lot to weigh up, got to be 3/4 and I sleep hot... Carry a footprint of insulated bubble insulation when it gets to lower single figures
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

You might find that it's lighter and less bulky to carry a lightweight, full length mat rather than taking the bubble wrap to extend the 3/4 mat.
Bilbo Baggins.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Based on the advice from this forum I bought an Exped Synmat. First impressions on the living room floor are favourable. Non slip, quiet, clever pump bag thingy and a super toasty colour scheme!
I went for a non tapered model as I'm a wriggler.
Tempo10

Post by Tempo10 »

The foil bubble wrap goes under my mat in colder temperatures not at the end of my 3/4 mat