Spare/cheap phone + Spotwalla app?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Spare/cheap phone + Spotwalla app?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not sure if anyone's tried the Spotwalla app. Never did much for me the first time I tried downloading it and using for local testing. But then again it does seem complex (for me :o ). Then today I came across this site via Chris Elissons email and it appears to have minimal battery drainage so a 2nd phone carried and dedicated to that (tracking)...

Anyone done such a thing and have any pros and cons on the matter. Seems much cheaper than a Spot/Inreach + plan (obviously for good signal areas and not remote desert locations).

https://burlycross.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... ntracking/

NB. Life360 has worked well for me over the years (just to show location to my mates so they can find me etc) but this most recent ride to London, it failed to find much signal or update itself...
Asposium

Re: Spare/cheap phone + Spotwalla app?

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:33 pm Anyone done such a thing and have any pros and cons on the matter. Seems much cheaper than a Spot/Inreach + plan (obviously for good signal areas and not remote desert locations).

NB. Life360 has worked well for me over the years (just to show location to my mates so they can find me etc) but this most recent ride to London, it failed to find much signal or update itself...
You pretty much explained the reason behind a spot/inReach; having that peace of mind that the sos will work whenever and wherever required.

And having used the sos feature on my imReach it is nice being able to chat with someone about the emergency.

Unfortunately, one cannot dictate having an accident in a location with a good cellular reception; and there are plenty of places (even in the uk) with non existent cellular coverage. That said, a Manx telecom SIM card is one’s best bet in the UK for coverage
redefined_cycles

Re: Spare/cheap phone + Spotwalla app?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Manx... thanks for that Asposium :-bd