BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: BB200 2020

Post by Richard G »

burty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:05 pm if you have entered just have a go you may even enjoy yourself
Only parts of it. Usually the first 10 minutes. :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

burty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:05 pm if you have entered just have a go you may even enjoy yourself
That is broadly my plan :-bd
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

burty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:05 pm bad back here john cant spunking move and antibiotics for tonsilitus ,
I was going for this weekend to as its the one it should be run on ,
but now it will be later on in the month , i cant miss out on 200k with me grandad paramart and all his moaning .
if you have entered just have a go you may even enjoy yourself
When you and pops planning on going burty , I’m booked into a boozer on 27th so planning early start 28th
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'd love to see the interaction between the 'Infamous Farmer' and this ^ particular trio as they hove nigh, having strayed two inches from the official route :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

psling wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:58 pm I don't want to put the kibosh on it but the forecast for this coming weekend looks quite good (light rain, sunny intervals, & gentle breeze) plus the water levels in streams drop off quite quickly in the area :cool:
Well that was the kiss of death.....rain showers all day on sat with moderate breeze now...thanks...just thanks!
burty

Post by burty »

[/quote]
When you and pops planning on going burty , I’m booked into a boozer on 27th so planning early start 28th
[/quote]
Not sure yet stu .
I think mart only gets weekends off and I know he's got a dodgy knee ATM ,
So we will see how it goes , but we'll have a crack at it at some point this month
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:15 am Well that was the kiss of death.....rain showers all day on sat with moderate breeze now...thanks...just thanks!
In reality it only seems to be averaging a couple of MPH over the baseline. Doesn't look too bad.

Wednesday currently looking OK for me, but I'm expecting it to all change.
middleagedmadness

No bother just texted him , between the 3of us we might make up one fully functional human being :lol: :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: I know which third you'll be
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am :lol: I know which third you'll be
That is not very nice reg , maybe true but not nice
RIP

Post by RIP »

It was meant as a compliment! Oblique admittedly hence why it didn't work :sad: .

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

middleagedmadness wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:45 am
Mam.. would this work to take your mind off things.

Watch "Induction Innovations Mini Ductor Venom HP - Burning Bolts For A Cause" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/X7uB6d5f6ys
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting bit of equipment that Shaf, thanks for the share, certainly beats waving a blowtorch around :smile: .

middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 pm Interesting bit of equipment that Shaf, thanks for the share, certainly beats waving a blowtorch around :smile: .
Nah inductors are brilliant as it’s localised heat and very quick but oxy/acetelyne has a special smell to it and a certain skill when using the torch
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:25 am
middleagedmadness wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:45 am
Reg... would this work to take your mind off things.

Watch "Induction Innovations Mini Ductor Venom HP - Burning Bolts For A Cause" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/X7uB6d5f6ys
Soz... this was supposed to read, 'Stu'.. glad Reg likes it too :-bd
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54069466

Thoughts on implications for an attempt this weekend? I'd be travelling from Oxfordshire, starting from Kington, England, then crossing into Wales via that much discussed Cussop Dingle ford / mythical footpath bridge. Planning to carry a lot of food, but I am starting to wonder if this is irresponsible, supposing rules might change :???: Seems like it's mainly North Wales in lockdown and Powys is okay?
Last edited by larsmars on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verena

Post by Verena »

larsmars wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:35 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54069466

Thoughts on implications for an attempt this weekend? I'd be travelling from Oxfordshire, starting from Kington, England, then crossing into Wales via that much discussed Cussop Dingle ford / mythical footpath bridge. Planning to carry a lot of food, but I am starting to wonder if this is irresponsible, supposing rules might change :???: Seems like it's mainly North Wales in lockdown?
I'd say Go for It. Weather forecast is as good as it's going to get in October. Powys is not in any kind of lockdown or travel restrictions, and as we know bikepacking is a generally very low contact activity. Just try to avoid getting admitted to A and E. Have fun!
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Elite athletic training and competitions" - if anyone stops you, BB2/300 certainly seems like the elite of bikepacking to me..

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

For me I opted not to go this year and did my own local 200.
I’d need to take trains to get to the route travelling through some of the highest transmission areas in the country. At this time I personally find it hard to justify that for the sake of going for a ride.
I realise this puts me in a minority here.
Maybe if I could have driven to the route and kept myself to myself I’d have planned to go but as things stand right now I don’t think I would’ve. I think my personal circumstances make me much more cautious than others.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Thanks guys, I’ll mention elite bog trotting! :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Enjoy!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

(As far as I'm aware) the first of this years 300 riders has recently set off.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm expecting 100% completion from the 300 riders. They're all to stubborn / hardened to fail.
lune ranger wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:59 pm I’d need to take trains to get to the route travelling through some of the highest transmission areas in the country. At this time I personally find it hard to justify that for the sake of going for a ride.
I realise this puts me in a minority here.
No, if I had to get there via train I probably wouldn't go either.
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

Now then Stu, did you have a really good drink before you rode the route to record it and give us the GPX? It might be the case that I need to then have a similar amount to drink before setting off!

I now I’m really anal, but I’ve been spending some time looking at the BB200 track as I’m hoping to ride next Saturday. I have no idea at all about the area as it’s all new to me (this Wales-Thing). I’ve retraced the GPX issued with GoogeEarth and OS maps and see that the GPX seems to skip about a fair bit! Maybe it’s OK in the daylight but guess in the dark it might be entertaining. My map is blue, the issued GPX is yellow

I don’t do all that Komoot and similar bollocks stuff. In the Dales people were having a nightmare. The GPX issued there was the ride we had ridden during the year so was perfect to the inch, on the track. You could even see which side of the track to ride on if you zoomed in. Komoot though had altered some peoples routes, to send them down what ‘it’ thought was better, sometimes down dead end footpaths!!
So I’ve put both Stu’s and my GPX in my eTrex and hopefully that will get me through. Like I handed out for the Dales Divide, there is a shareable GoogleMap for people (use my phone as a backup) and a profile created in Excel with stuff on including the tarmac sections highlighted. Of course I’m not sharing these just yet as the track is embargoed but see below what you could have won! I could email them to Stu in case it’s worth looking at and maybe look at it afterwards as part of upskilling us all for whatever 2021 brings us…

Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Re-tracing the BB200 is a sensible idea, in the dark one can be metres from a perfectly rideable track and not know any better.
Then again, the map can say there “should” be a track whereas the ground has other ideas.

As for sharing, it’s the bb200, it’s not suppose to be easy.
There are sportives for that.