BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: BB200 2020

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:34 pm FFS, managed to get my bike into the shop (not had a lot of use in last year and a half) and the front brake lever is toast (lever doesn't return). Second time I've had it happen. First time with XT, this time with XTR.
In a year when everything has changed it's good to see some things aren't affected.... your bike is broken just before the BB200 :wink:

I've had that happen with some Deore brakes but obviously that was cheaper to fix.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I really tried to be ready this time! :cry:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:51 pm I really tried to be ready this time! :cry:
Fixing a broken bike is part of your "ready" Rich.

Go cheap - Deore brakes are fine!!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I should be fine to use the old hose right? I'm thinking I can just get the individual parts (will replace lever initially, then caliper if it's still broken) given I can actually get those.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:57 pm I should be fine to use the old hose right? I'm thinking I can just get the individual parts (will replace lever initially, then caliper if it's still broken) given I can actually get those.
Yeah, I'd say it's the lever assembly so the old hose will be fine. When my deore one went it was the day before a local event. I managed to strip it down, clean it, put it back together and it worked again, but I ordered a replacement lever assembly as it was only £25 and I was worried it might fail again. I never did fit it, it's in the box with the brakes as I changed to Hope some months later :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, bulletproof Deore aside, I'd rather go with someone else going forward.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm a big fan of XT brakes but would definitely say the levers aren't the most durable.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:04 pm Perhaps so Colin but in the current situation, it's still a numbers game ... reduced amenities, parking and maybe even a reduction in that usual, warm Welsh welcome (amongst certain members of the population) mean that it can't be open season entirely. I appreciate that people might think I'm simply a miserable tw@t but generally there's a good reason behind things. Why is it folk are encouraged not to ride the HT last week in May? :wink:
I guess that, in theory, there are 30 days of starts available but in practice they'll be concentrated over the 4 weekends too.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Because we need to send Stu a gpx file, and because I'm too lazy to work it out myself - what's the method for saving a gpx track from a Garmin Edge? They save the ride as a .fit file if I recall correctly. I've always transferred that to Strava via Bluetooth/Garmin Connect. Not going to be able to do that this time so what do I need to do? :geek:
slarge

Post by slarge »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:37 pm Because we need to send Stu a gpx file, and because I'm too lazy to work it out myself - what's the method for saving a gpx track from a Garmin Edge? They save the ride as a .fit file if I recall correctly. I've always transferred that to Strava via Bluetooth/Garmin Connect. Not going to be able to do that this time so what do I need to do? :geek:
Still save it in Strava Andy, but make it private. Then you can download the gpx but no one else can see it
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Edited/deleted :-bd
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Does it need to be a single file Stu? I'm a bit paranoid about the Garmin losing the ride overnight, so was thinking ride part 1 and saving, having a kip, then riding part 2 and saving that.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does it need to be a single file Stu?
Two's okay.

As long as I get something that proves what went on, then I'll not be too worried.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Stu... the way I mentioned (private main ride but a screenshot of the main ride displayed in another 2 mikes of same ride, to display in Strava). Would that be a, 'not good' and 'no invites next year' kind of sin :???:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Am I missing something here, why the need to hide my ride on strava??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Am I missing something here, why the need to hide my ride on strava??
i did ask that people would keep the route to themselves until November fella.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mike wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 pm Am I missing something here, why the need to hide my ride on strava??
From the email you were sent:
I would also ask that everyone enters into the spirit of things and makes a single attempt … taking a trial run really isn’t entering into the correct spirit. Also, given the nature of things this year, I would also ask people not to publish their ride on Strava or similar until after November 1st as it’ll be much better if only those who’ve entered are riding the route until then.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd I don't read much
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

slarge wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:55 pm
In Reverse wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:37 pm Because we need to send Stu a gpx file, and because I'm too lazy to work it out myself - what's the method for saving a gpx track from a Garmin Edge? They save the ride as a .fit file if I recall correctly. I've always transferred that to Strava via Bluetooth/Garmin Connect. Not going to be able to do that this time so what do I need to do? :geek:
Still save it in Strava Andy, but make it private. Then you can download the gpx but no one else can see it
Cheers Steve. Hadn't actually considered that. Was thinking everyone would wait until the end of the month before uploading then 1st Nov would be like the usual post-BB Sunday/Monday on Strava with everyone chucking their rides up and everyone else dishing out praise/taking the piss as appropriate.

Found this online converter too. http://garmin.stevegordon.co.uk/
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm enjoying your patient aaproach in here btw Stu :lol: :lol: :lol:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Yeah, you'll probably miss out on all the praise/piss take/kudos/oh wow I love you type stuff (ok, so I've never had the last bit either), unless of course you ride and post at the end of October, but at least you'll know where and how far you went.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The faster you upload, the better your segment positions will likely be! :lol:

Given the bike madness it's looking like my start is probably going to be Tuesday or Wednesday now. Quite tedious.
Verena

Post by Verena »

macinblack wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:41 pm
Raggedstone wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:34 pm If I have enough dry weather to finish the job I am doing at the moment I hope to set off towards the end of next week from Builth Wells early morning in the wildly optimistic hope that I might get to Crickhowell for late food . I know most of the route after the much discussed track/river to beyond the gap so if I end up there in the dark it should help !
Any ideas on a place to leave the Van in Builth .

Good luck to everyone out there and heading out this weekend
The Groe car park is £4 a day for a car. You can get a ticket for multiple days.
No need to pay, there's plenty of residential streets nearby where you shouldn't have any problem leaving the car
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

Attempted the ride yesterday, small report just on my experience with no specific route detail in the other thread
Verena

Post by Verena »

So I have a plan of sorts. Start from Brecon, that's a no brainer for me as I can ride to the track in twenty minutes or so. I've done some maths and to finish in 36 hours, if I ride from 7am till 11pm and then 7 to 7 the next, I would need to average 7km/h... I'd get to Hay just as everything is closed, then find somewhere to bivvy for the night. Which would mean first thing on day two when I'm likely to feel like crap the biggest climb and a long way to Crick and the first opportunity to get some food and coffee. Ideal. Seriously though, I'll just start first thing either 22nd or 23rd, and just take it as it comes...