BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Re: BB200 2020

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 am I think she did a good job with that
Yep, it showed all of the various highs and lows of the event and lets people know what they are letting themselves into.
Also, she finished which is a good achievement based on it being someones first attempt and some of the other comments earlier on this thread.
I think it will perhaps put quite a few folk off attempting it in the future. Why is that good? Simply because the BB200 runs smoother and produces more finishers when it's frequented by bikepackers rather than cyclists
I’m surprised that given the unlimited entries and other events being cancelled this year, that there wasn’t more than the usual 80 riders sign-up, and that you didnt get a lot more newbies.

I know I’ve floated this idea before, but to save a lot of hassle you could make the entries for the BB200 invitational only?
Theres the balance of being “elitist” vs anyone can rock-up and have a go, but I’m sure you know which ones create the less hassle :wink:

Something like:
Tier 1: Anyone whos finished in the past 3 years
Tier 2: Other Boners
Tier 3: The masses

Or something similar to how Alan handles things. Probably a bit more hassle up front, but probably less in the long run.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Fair play to Juliet for attempting, and completing, the route. It's possible that she had a little "rosier" view of what the route and riding would be like if compared with those of us who've done previous editions. Perhaps best reflected in her continual comments about being "slow" when in fact 10km/hr is a decent average speed - I averaged 8.8kmh for example.

I get what Stu says about "bikepackers" vs "cyclists". Those of us on here who attempt the BB200 know of its reputation so it's not a case of "it's just 200km in Wales" as per some of the comments on her earlier video but "just how hard is it going to be?". Maybe it's a gravel bikepacking versus bikepacking as we'd understand it sort of thing. Her milieu seems definitely the former, indeed she mentioned that this was the first time she'd done anything "like this".

I like to know where things are, particularly resupply, and also where I am in relation to features on the route, particularly important junctions, but apart from that it's a case of "just keep riding".

I know that Juliet's more of a social media person than on here but it would be nice to have more dialog with her about her expectations and experience.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

’m surprised that given the unlimited entries and other events being cancelled this year, that there wasn’t more than the usual 80 riders sign-up, and that you didnt get a lot more newbies.
I think there were 101 entries in total. I know for certain that there were some others who hadn't entered but decided to tag along with someone who had. I suppose, the number was very similar to a normal year if you include reserves.
know I’ve floated this idea before, but to save a lot of hassle you could make the entries for the BB200 invitational only?
That is very much on the cards next year.
Theres the balance of being “elitist” vs anyone can rock-up and have a go
Elitest? Not arsed. I'm not the Coca-Cola corp' ... I've no desire to teach the world to sing :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I am not sure it really matters what label gets used but i think this place is at the TYPE 2 end of the cycling spectrum

I will leave you to decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I am not sure it really matters what label gets used but i think this place is at the TYPE 2 end of the cycling spectrum
I think you're right Jon, I don't think it really matters. I see the world of bikepacking / adventure cycling / touring / whatever fragmenting and you really can't be all things to all people. Do what you do and do what you enjoy. If some people get it, that's great, if some don't, then that's great too.
BB200 is definitely a massive head f&%£.

I went in with aims, or targets and I was way off and in years gone by I think I would have just stopped, or turned around
Weird innit - we joke about something as being 'character building' but I think Matt's just described exactly that.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Well my attempt is out of the window for this year, (next week was my opportunity) as predicted down to just having Sunday’s off from now until Christmas (and that’s not guaranteed) ,so I think it’s going to be another crack at the big bear next April instead of this , as the half I rode was very nice (restrictions permitting of course)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I enjoyed Juliets film. Looked very different from the (mostly early) reports on here. Weather would, of course, play a major part in that.

I'll be subscribing to her channel to see what else she gets up to, particularly regarding the bivvying side of things where she recognises she is deficient.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:09 am I enjoyed Juliets film.
Yeah, me too. I liked the fact that it showed the highs and lows of her ride (and the fact that she acknowledged them). There are so many glorified versions of bikepacking on YouTube that bear little resemblance to the real experiences that most people have. I've been watching Juliet's content on and off for a while and she always balances the positives and negatives of her life in her videos (she's had some fairly intrusive health issues)whilst still maintaining a cheery overall demeanour.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Landslide wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am I'm quite pleased that "ability to sleep" is seen as a useful skill. Just off to update my CV...
It really is though. I'd pay hundreds of quid (maybe more) to be able to buy that skill.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd also enjoyed juliets video.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Mike wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:35 pm :-bd also enjoyed juliets video.
Ditto.

Did I hear her say she's not bivi'd at all (it was around the same time she was talking about bringing a pit that she thought would be too cold)? Top marks for even considering doing your first ditch-sleep on the BB200 if that's the case :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

What made it for me was knowing she had left her partner at home with a young kid/baby that was clearly playing up or being ill. I can see why she didn't bale ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Euge

Post by Euge »

Chew wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:59 pm I also feel that a lot of people make it harder for themselves, thinking that 24 hours is the target, underestimating how hard that is, and then bail when it seems unachievable.

If people set off with the mindset to just complete the route, there would be a lot more finishers.
Exactly true for me, although I thought maybe 36 wasn't doable either. But not knowing if the terrain might be a bit easier later, was also an influence. If I thought it was easier later I might have stayed on it. My approach just seemed wrong looking back, and now I have a better idea of this and possibly other events. Anyhow well done to her.
DNF BB2020
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just checked, and at the point I bailed (2/3rds in) I had (including stops) averaged 6.9mph.

I could have walked 40% of the remaining distance and I'd have still got around sub 24. Sigh.

I had done all of these sections (altitude gain)...
- 3,225ft
- 3,125ft
- 2,075ft
- 3,045ft

Just had these two left...
- 2,250ft
- 2,375ft

Moral of the story, never quit until you have to.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Don't know if anyone's seen this, apologies if you all have!!

https://youtu.be/VW4SH7WI168
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

AndreR wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:41 pm Don't know if anyone's seen this, apologies if you all have!!

https://youtu.be/VW4SH7WI168
That particular rider is a forumite. A number of posts from her in this very thread. :cool:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Most of the ride reports and experiences of the BB200 are in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18285&start=150

Keeps everything in one place and (at the time, this may not matter so much anymore- Stu?) avoids spoilers and any "advantage" as more reports and experiences etc are accumulated, sort of trying to keep a level-field for everyone.

:cool:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Talking of which, are we allowed to unhide our rides yet, or is it a case of never now that things have got even stranger? :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Talking of which, are we allowed to unhide our rides yet, or is it a case of never now that things have got even stranger?
I'd ask that people still keep them private at present as some are still to ride it. I really don't see it's any hardship, making it public is little more than willy waving ... the whole 'if it's not on Strave it didn't happen' is no more than marketing bollox :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

the whole 'if it's not on Strave it didn't happen' is no more than marketing bollox :wink:
Here, here....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Or is it actually that they say

"Hear, hear"...
:smile:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ehh, I wanted to show some friends as obviously it's by far the biggest ride I've done since my surgery. But no biggy.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Still to do it? If South/Mid-Wales is anything like here at the moment I'd suggest a canoe rather than a bike! :lol:

Looking like the weekend of the 17th/18th Oct was probably the optimum window now.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:53 pm Ehh, I wanted to show some friends as obviously it's by far the biggest ride I've done since my surgery. But no biggy.
Stick it on Strava, call it "my big ride". What's the issue?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:02 pm Stick it on Strava, call it "my big ride". What's the issue?
I'm a good boy. But in fairness, it's not the whole route anyway, because I suck.