Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: BB200 2020

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:39 pm
I don't have to prove what I say
You really do - that is how it works.
Isn’t there an exemption on that rule for members of the Cabinet?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:22 pm So having had a few days to mull it over, I'm pretty embarrassed / annoyed at my decision to bail. To my knowledge I was still on track for sub 24, I just couldn't be arsed any more (I think partially because of being harangued by farmers, partially because I was burned out on stress from the descents / fear of crashing, partially because of ground conditions).

I've never failed one of these before, and I didn't ever expect my first failure to come from not being able to handle it mentally. I'm going to try and write something up tomorrow on it.

Oh, and I seem to have got a serious case of the squits again post ride, so I assume I must have been eating sheep sh*t during the event. Yay, injury to insult. :cry:
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts. No shame in not being mentally "on it", sounds like you've had a bit of a year since that massive stack. Least you had a go :-bd

Do you think you set off under a mental cloud? You seemed to be fighting uphill against various things from the posts you made on here before you had even set off?

:cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never failed one of these before, and I didn't ever expect my first failure to come from not being able to handle it mentally. I'm going to try and write something up tomorrow on it.
I think you've dealt with a reasonable amount over the last 12 months Richard, so all things considered .....

Can't really help with the bum issues though, sorry.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:55 pm And here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4SH7W ... yAUWi-%3A6
I skipped through that and realised that we both took the same wrong path at some point. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:52 pm I think you've dealt with a reasonable amount over the last 12 months Richard, so all things considered .....
Yeah, I know. The one major positive I took out of this is I never once felt like my hip was holding me back. I do know that I'm still not as fit / strong as pre-COVID though, so there's work to do there.
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:52 pm Do you think you set off under a mental cloud? You seemed to be fighting uphill against various things from the posts you made on here before you had even set off?
Yeah, definitely. Not least a massive lack of time in the saddle. Trainer fitness will only get you so far.

But yeah, mental resilience has been reduced to almost nothing, and it's usually one of my strengths.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:15 pm

I skipped through that and realised that we both took the same wrong path at some point. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:52 pm I think you've dealt with a reasonable amount over the last 12 months Richard, so all things considered .....
Yeah, I know. The one major positive I took out of this is I never once felt like my hip was holding me back. I do know that I'm still not as fit / strong as pre-COVID though, so there's work to do there.
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:52 pm Do you think you set off under a mental cloud? You seemed to be fighting uphill against various things from the posts you made on here before you had even set off?
Yeah, definitely. Not least a massive lack of time in the saddle. Trainer fitness will only get you so far.

But yeah, mental resilience has been reduced to almost nothing, and it's usually one of my strengths.
Nowt wrong with scratching, and at least you made it to the start line!
Looking at that vid, a gravel bike is the wrong bike for that route....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, I very much wouldn't want to do the gap on a gravel bike. My arms would be destroyed by the bottom.

With the right tyres I still felt I was plenty quick on the road sections.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Good effort from her, she's a very strong rider and wasn't on the ideal bike for it. Another person cursing the toughness of the route, is that mission accomplished Stu? :lol:

Well done again everyone who had a go!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

is that mission accomplished Stu?
No, not really. I never begin with the intention of making any one year easier or harder (let's just skirt round 2014 shall we). There's often certain tracks that I want to include and from there it kind of builds itself ... remember that you're aiming to produce a long circular route to the nearest km, which in itself dictates the outcome to a degree.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I also feel that a lot of people make it harder for themselves, thinking that 24 hours is the target, underestimating how hard that is, and then bail when it seems unachievable.

If people set off with the mindset to just complete the route, there would be a lot more finishers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

also feel that a lot of people make it harder for themselves, thinking that 24 hours is the target, underestimating how hard that is, and then bail when it seems unachievable.

If people set off with the mindset to just complete the route, there would be a lot more finishers.
Absolutely fella.

I think Juliet's film perhaps also demonstrates that the skill set required for something like this is much broader than cycling.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Chew wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:59 pm I also feel that a lot of people make it harder for themselves, thinking that 24 hours is the target, underestimating how hard that is, and then bail when it seems unachievable.

Good point - I'm just happy to finish, not at all bothered about when.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:17 pm
pretty clear we are a divided country and individualism is winning over the collective good - naturally I blame Thatcher for this
My default position on most societal maladies :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
faustus

Post by faustus »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:22 pm
is that mission accomplished Stu?
No, not really. I never begin with the intention of making any one year easier or harder (let's just skirt round 2014 shall we). There's often certain tracks that I want to include and from there it kind of builds itself ... remember that you're aiming to produce a long circular route to the nearest km, which in itself dictates the outcome to a degree.
Sure, I don't doubt it's difficult to come up with a route of the right length etc.

Good points made about expected finishing times vs just finishing....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well this thread went weird :shock: I wonder what odds you'd have got for the Millennium Bug getting a mention in a thread about an MTB event in 2020?
Chew wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:59 pm I also feel that a lot of people make it harder for themselves, thinking that 24 hours is the target, underestimating how hard that is, and then bail when it seems unachievable.

ITT/event wise I've not had a good year so was just aiming to actually finish something this year. Obviously having done two BB200s in under 24hrs I've an idea of what to do.

Of the three I've done I'd say this year was the middle one in difficulty but not much in it between 2020 and 2018, the weather made that year particularly tough. 2016 was probably one of the easier ones.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd have finished had I not had to be somewhere the next day, but I'll explain all that when I finish scribbling some thoughts.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

The 200 is a definitely a mental game, rather than the physical for me.

Most days of the week, I know I could ride 200km. However, add Wales, Stuart Wright and a clock and it's a different story!

I love the event and the challenge it gives me, but I experience the biggest extremes of emotion when I do it. From total elation to a complete snivelling wreck (I'm thinking 1am, Snowdonia 2014 in particular)...

I know there are harder and longer events out there, but the 200 is the daddy for me.

Who knows, I may even enter again in 2021... :shock:

Si
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

BB200 is definitely a massive head f&%£.

I went in with aims, or targets and I was way off and in years gone by I think I would have just stopped, or turned around.
Actually I felt like stopping before I even started because my Wahoo hadn't loaded the route properly.

The mind plays horrible tricks.
I'd assumed Juliet hadn't finished, so fair play to her for keeping going. I know she is more into racing than big days out not that fast.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

darbeze wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:11 am The 200 is a definitely a mental game, rather than the physical for me.

Most days of the week, I know I could ride 200km. However, add Wales, Stuart Wright and a clock and it's a different story!

I love the event and the challenge it gives me, but I experience the biggest extremes of emotion when I do it. From total elation to a complete snivelling wreck (I'm thinking 1am, Snowdonia 2014 in particular)...

I know there are harder and longer events out there, but the 200 is the daddy for me.

Who knows, I may even enter again in 2021... :shock:

Si
Si, so is this the first year you've missed one?? I was hoping to have an interrupted CV of completions too but unfortunately after 20 miles (very poor do I know!) I chucked in that towel... But had a nice bivvy to make up for it before heading back to the car...
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:44 am
Si, so is this the first year you've missed one?? I was hoping to have an interrupted CV of completions too but unfortunately after 20 miles (very poor do I know!) I chucked in that towel... But had a nice bivvy to make up for it before heading back to the car...

Yep, this is the first BB200 I haven't entered since 2013...

I am missing it? Yes and no :wink: :wink:

Si
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For me, the key to anything like the BB200 is to simply think of it as 'a bike ride'. I also largely ignore the route before setting off, so I'm not anticipating 'that big climb' or 'long boggy section' ... riding in the moment perhaps.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Re Juliet's video ... I think she did a good job with that and I think it will perhaps put quite a few folk off attempting it in the future. Why is that good? Simply because the BB200 runs smoother and produces more finishers when it's frequented by bikepackers rather than cyclists. I know that may sound weird but give it some thought. :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 am Re Juliet's video ... I think she did a good job with that and I think it will perhaps put quite a few folk off attempting it in the future. Why is that good? Simply because the BB200 runs smoother and produces more finishers when it's frequented by bikepackers rather than cyclists. I know that may sound weird but give it some thought. :wink:
I think I agree Stu, but now you’re making me question what I am. I’ve joined a cycling club - does that make me a roadie cyclist? I’ve put bags on my bike but not bivvied, slept in a van not under a tarp, and am now looking outside wondering what indoor jobs I can do today😂
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm quite pleased that "ability to sleep" is seen as a useful skill. Just off to update my CV...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

think I agree Stu, but now you’re making me question what I am. I’ve joined a cycling club - does that make me a roadie cyclist? I’ve put bags on my bike but not bivvied, slept in a van not under a tarp, and am now looking outside wondering what indoor jobs I can do today
I think you're safe Steve ... I've not figured it out 100% yet but I reckon you can be a bikepacker and a cyclist but been a cyclist doesn't make you a bikepacker ... or something like that.