BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: BB200 2020

Post by Dave Barter »

My daughter is in Swansea doing her masters via online teaching from her flat. This has potentially incentivised her to leave Wales before Friday and come here for 2 weeks where she will have more freedom. I suspect there will now be a mass exodus of students and it will make the problem worse. There is nothing joined up in this 5h1t-show at all. I'm trying to think of a single useful thing a "leader" has done in this country in decades.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:46 pm I'm trying to think of a single useful thing a "leader" has done in this country in decades.
Who brought in free university tuition fees during the 80s? That was bloody useful to me otherwise I almost certainly wouldn't have been able to go. Admittedly that was just over 30 years ago and I'm struggling to think of much of anything else so your point still stands.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:46 pmI'm trying to think of a single useful thing a "leader" has done in this country in decades.
Resign?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My understanding is that Wales has a population of 3 million and 400 people in hospital - I'm really struggling to see the reasoning behind another full lock-down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK. Just been on the phone to a Powys RoW officer, not for that particular part of Powys but he'll pass details of the problems on to the person whose area it is.

Padlocked gate at Middle Ffynonnau - he suggested that the owners needed a bit of education regarding RoWs :lol: He did wonder how a horse was meant to open a padlock :roll:

The line of the BW at Dreavour farm - the latest definitive map data I can find is from Oct 2019 which shows the line of the BW going through the farmyard. This is still the case: from the east the BW follows a track until just before the buildings, the track goes NW to a barn while the BW heads through the yard. The farmer may have put in a permissive route around the outside of the yard but the council have no record of him doing so.

He also commented that with the current situation a lot of people have their hackles up but that didn't excuse rude/aggressive behaviour.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
burty

Post by burty »

I can see me and mart making a full on winter attempt on the 200. We may well need ski's at this rate
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:09 pm My understanding is that Wales has a population of 3 million and 400 people in hospital - I'm really struggling to see the reasoning behind another full lock-down.
Politics. Don't worry Scotland will doubtless be joining you very soon.....
whitestone wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:55 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:46 pmI'm trying to think of a single useful thing a "leader" has done in this country in decades.
Resign?
I'm reminded of Bill Hicks description of politicians....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon you're right Phil. The population have simply become a political football and the whole notion of keeping people safe or whatever the message was is something of a smokescreen.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My understanding is that Wales has a population of 3 million and 400 people in hospital - I'm really struggling to see the reasoning behind another full lock-down.
Because it will save about a thousand lives and reduce the size of the peak

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/447ae0a9 ... bbc7a104fd

Graph and number on that link
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Jon, that graph appears to say 'estimate'. Wasn't the initial 'estimate' of deaths that kick started the whole thing over 3 million in the UK?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Of course its says estimated as its a prediction about the future
Please note I simply provided their rationale rather than wish to offer a personal comment on how accurate the prediction was/is - we will never know as we cannot do both alternatives and compare.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes but you said
Maybe , because it might would be more fitting? What I'm fairly certain it will do is put people out of work, make businesses fold, increase the likelihood of depression and limit the amount of care given to those with illnesses such as cancer but hey, it worked so well last time. :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Those are also predictions stu so same rules apply :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 pm and limit the amount of care given to those with illnesses such as cancer
How much care do you think cancer patients are going to get when the hospitals are full of Covid patients and we've run out of doctors and nurses? Or are you suggesting we just pile Covid sufferers up in a field somewhere and leave them to die.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How much care do you think cancer patients are going to get when the hospitals are full of Covid patients and we've run out of doctors and nurses?
Many of the hospitals here were empty Colin. The patients sent home while we awaited the Covid tidal wave.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Taylor wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm Wales has locked down now so you'll have to wait if you've not done it already.
My only date to ride is the weekend of 31st October. Decided to wait a little bit to buy train tickets just in case...and there it is, Wales in lockdown mode. :roll:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

htrider wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm
Absolutely. With a Tory government in Westminster, SNP in Edinburgh and Labour in Cardiff there are going to be big difference because they can.

I am not sure a national lock down was really needed. If areas need to have stricter lock downs, why not do that?
Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire would have had thousands or hundreds of thousands of visitors through August yet now just because its colder cases are suddenly rising nationwide? Call me a cynic...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:08 pm
How much care do you think cancer patients are going to get when the hospitals are full of Covid patients and we've run out of doctors and nurses?
Many of the hospitals here were empty Colin. The patients sent home while we awaited the Covid tidal wave.
Remember the Millennium Bug non-event?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Remember the Millennium Bug non-event?
Yes, I was in the US at the time, watching people stock up on guns and ammunition.
Call me a cynic...
Not at all Matt. It seems to me that for an overwhelming majority, the cure is now more harmful than the disease.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Part of the problem is the systems that might have really helped in this situation are not in place or working well e.g. test.and trace. Possibly the chronic underfunding of parts of the state system that should have been central in the response to this and the subsequent farming out of additional capacity to a bunch of private firms has not particularly helped.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The millennium bug non event was because people made a vast amount of effort to ensure it was a non-event. This was mostly done well in advance due to the doom and gloom message so by the time it happened the general public wondered what the fuss was all about. Just like now, some people made a mint out of it but most didn’t.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 pm The millennium bug non event was because people made a vast amount of effort to ensure it was a non-event. This was mostly done well in advance due to the doom and gloom message so by the time it happened the general public wondered what the fuss was all about.
Exactly my point. There's still loads of folk convinced that all the fuss was about nothing. That it was all hype.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verena

Post by Verena »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 pm The millennium bug non event was because people made a vast amount of effort to ensure it was a non-event. This was mostly done well in advance due to the doom and gloom message so by the time it happened the general public wondered what the fuss was all about. Just like now, some people made a mint out of it but most didn’t.
Yes but I did get my gas storm stove out of it, which I still use now, it's great. My husband bought it so we could warm up baby food in case of power failures for weeks or months :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 pm Yes but you said
Maybe , because it might would be more fitting? What I'm fairly certain it will do is put people out of work, make businesses fold, increase the likelihood of depression and limit the amount of care given to those with illnesses such as cancer but hey, it worked so well last time. :wink:
+1
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Sounds like it might be time to resurrect the "If we close up for a while" thread! :roll: