BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: BB200 2020

Post by ScotRoutes »

View from Scotland...

Prior to F&M, when the draft Land Reform Bill was published it included restrictions on evening access. Post F&M, when it was actually being debated, it was pointed out that the more legitimate folk there were around, the less opportunity there was for burglary and animal theft.

On a more general point, every one of these interactions I read of - angry farmer, locked gates etc - just makes me want to avoid coming to Wales to walk or ride. In some ways, I'm surprised that the route should include any contentious areas but then as it changes every year, and Stu can't be expected to ride it all (at all times) before route setting, then perhaps it's almost unavoidable.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I think part of it might be because it's this year. I've encountered more tied up gates, locked or held shut with cable ties locally than all the previous years combined, not to mention home made signs saying the right of way is closed because of Covid or that you can only go through it once a day :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On a more general point, every one of these interactions I read of - angry farmer, locked gates etc - just makes me want to avoid coming to Wales to walk or ride. In some ways, I'm surprised that the route should include any contentious areas but then as it changes every year, and Stu can't be expected to ride it all (at all times) before route setting, then perhaps it's almost unavoidable.
It's not really that areas are contentious as such. It's far more that some people don't fully appreciate the RoW system or choose to ignore it. I think some people have also become overly scared at present and are wary of anything out of the ordinary.

Edit: Sean kind of beat me to it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Thanks folks. I'd got turned around somehow about who was responsible for the cost and maintenance of "furniture" :-bd

I can only imagine the fun of explaining / pointing this out to any grumpy landowner (particularly the bit in bold - my emphasis):
Lawful stiles and gates

A stile or gate, although on a public right of way, is not a part of it. Such structures are for the advantage of the landowner, to permit enclosure of the land and to control the movement of livestock, rather than for the benefit of the public.
:lol:
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:34 pm Personally, I think the issue of locked gates or badly maintained track is generally down to a lack of use. Mid-wales doesn't see anywhere near the same number of visitors most parts of the UK does and people can be unaccustomed to visitors. However, that is no excuse to be rude or aggressive towards people who do happen to use them. By all means, ask people what they're doing and if you don't like the answer, go inside pull a face and stamp your feet but no one should ever try and deny access.

People talk about expanding the RoW network in Wales but until we can properly look after those we have, then there's probably little point.
Just saying that... It's always so nice that Sir Bear Bones Norm always manages to see things from both perspectives. I often thought about this (both sides the story) when I used to do buses. Was it the grumpy bus driver that caused grumpy passengers or the other way round. Conclusion was, 'a bit of both' and its a vicious circle (is it not)... I got out of there whilst I was still ungrumpy.

Anyway, I'm certainly gonna use the one bypass that Stu has provided just to make life easier. I imagine that there farmer is only gonna become slowly more stressed/obstructive as the weeks go on! Hopefully someone from the HA will get word and have a word!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:07 pm Thanks folks. I'd got turned around somehow about who was responsible for the cost and maintenance of "furniture" :-bd

I can only imagine the fun of explaining / pointing this out to any grumpy landowner (particularly the bit in bold - my emphasis):

Lawful stiles and gates A stile or gat ... ublic[/b].

That link is shown as 'forbidden' and 'for the benefit of landowners'..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:00 pm I think part of it might be because it's this year. I've encountered more tied up gates, locked or held shut with cable ties locally than all the previous years combined, not to mention home made signs saying the right of way is closed because of Covid or that you can only go through it once a day :roll:
Ah yes. Covid is a thing too.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Richard G wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:10 pm
Charliecres wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:20 am I’m aiming to head for Hay on Friday evening and start Saturday morning. All my digits are crossed.
300 this year?
God, no. I’m not brave or foolish enough to think I’m in that league. :o
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Well that's me out, the new Liverpool lockdown says to "avoid non-essential travel".

Now to plan a 200km loop around
Liverpool
Knowsley
Wirral
St Helens
Sefton
Halton

I can be sure the climbing will be a little easier than in Wales.

It's only going to get worse across the whole country, so get your ride in sooner rather than later as this situation will change every week for us all.
Last edited by JohnClimber on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:10 pm Well that's me out, the new Liverpool lockdown says to "avoid non-essential travel".

Now to plan a 200km loop around
Liverpool
Knowsley
Wirral
St Helens
Sefton
Halton
I've not read the latest update but surely heading out to cycle a 200km loop for pleasure would be "non-essential travel" - or does it just rule out travelling to another county?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm I've not read the latest update but surely heading out to cycle a 200km loop for pleasure would be "non-essential travel" - or does it just rule out travelling to another county?
From Wednesday we can only leave the area for work and school.... I might be able to sneak over the border from Sefton into West Lancs on a couple of off road lanes.

Reading between the lines, it's non-essential travel out of and in to the area.

But everything, like everything this government it's always woolly around the edges and open to interpretation in a Dominic Cummings type of way
Last edited by JohnClimber on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:20 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm I've not read the latest update but surely heading out to cycle a 200km loop for pleasure would be "non-essential travel" - or does it just rule out travelling to another county?
Reading between the lines, it's non-essential travel out of and in to the area.

But everything like everything this government is always woolly around the edges and open to interpretation in a Dominic Cummings type of way
Ah. Up here, the rules in the most affected areas are "do not travel out of your local health board".
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:10 pm Well that's me out, the new Liverpool lockdown says to "avoid non-essential travel".
Commiserations JC :sad: . Very galling after getting yourself psyched up ready.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
burty

Post by burty »

your prayers have been answered john :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 pm
Commiserations JC :sad: . Very galling after getting yourself psyched up ready.
I'm thinking of a 3 day trip around it between Christmas and New Year or a Spring pre WRT ride when this might be over in some form or other.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

burty wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:40 pm your prayers have been answered john :lol:
Shut the feck up.......... :oops:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Charliecres wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:29 pm God, no. I’m not brave or foolish enough to think I’m in that league. :o
Based on your time last year you definitely are! When you easily black badge this one you'll know.

:-bd
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

You’re mixing me up with someone else, Richard. But I’m taking it and using it as a confidence boost anyway :grin: :-bd :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

So I've not been keeping track... are we at something like:

1 Orange
0 Black
1 Blue
1 Green

7 DNF?
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Just catching up on the debate about farmers. - Some great discussion there.

I just wanted to clarify that although I was challenged by two different farmers in the dark hours, I wouldn't describe either as angry. The first appeared genuinely concerned about his cows and the second wondered what I was doing and intercepted me when I got to the road. Neither insisted that I get off their land etc.

As many have said - I got the impression that these bridleways are rarely used !

The gates were a pain. - I recon I hefted my bike over about 15 of them in all.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:40 pm So I've not been keeping track... are we at something like:

1 Orange
0 Black
1 Blue
1 Green

7 DNF?

There were four green finishers that I'm aware of at the Fforest on Sunday evening not counting myself.

My 28:01 includes a bit of overlap at the end where I didn't turn it off so I might be very tight on the blue/green divide. Haven't done anything with the GPS/bike/clothes/self yet.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

stevewaters wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:40 pm The gates were a pain. - I recon I hefted my bike over about 15 of them in all.
I'll definitely be stripping my bike to be as light as possible then!
In Reverse wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:01 pm There were four green finishers that I'm aware of at the Fforest on Sunday evening not counting myself.
Fair enough, not everyone posts about it I guess.
psling

Post by psling »

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:26 pm I'll definitely be stripping my bike to be as light as possible then!
You could always remove the brake levers; reduced weight and less to go wrong :lol:
What could possibly go wrong :shock: :shock:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've found out today that we've had out first female* finisher too. :-bd

*actual female, not just a big girl.
May the bridges you burn light your way