BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: BB200 2020

Post by In Reverse »

Chew wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:35 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:56 pmStop this route discussion now. The surprise is being ruined.
I was going to say something similar

Half of the "fun" is not knowing what you're going to find en-route.

Going to suggest that any ride reports are left until November?
(potential safety issues aside)
I agree with all of this tbf. Photos removed.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:23 pm
Chew wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:35 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:56 pmStop this route discussion now. The surprise is being ruined.
I was going to say something similar

Half of the "fun" is not knowing what you're going to find en-route.

Going to suggest that any ride reports are left until November?
(potential safety issues aside)
I agree with all of this tbf. Photos removed.
Andys my mentor in all this cross country, cross days packing thing. So I've done the same including my ride report :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Remember, there is a thread already set up for those having already ridden it who wish to share: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18285
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bah, rain seems to be slipping to later in the week. If it keeps going that way I might have to go Tuesday instead of Monday.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Is anyone mad enough to try this years BB200 on a gravel bike?
I am tempted, but having looked at the Komoot stats of this yr vs last year, i think there is more off road this year than last year, and last year would have been tough on a gravel bike..... The other thing that putting me off is how wet the ground will be. Thoughts? Mtb or Gravel? Or dont care?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

As an avowed fan of gradventourers and underbiking in general, I'm taking the MTB.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

At least one rider is. I personally wouldn't be able to ride some bits of the gap on a gravel bike but that's probably because I'm crap.

Unrelated. I ran some numbers last night and if I'm going to get to the visitor centre before it's closed (without turning myself inside out) then I'm going to have to start much earlier than I originally intended. That said, if I do start early and make it there by say, 15:30, then I can finish the ride at a reasonably chilled pace as short of mechanical issues I'd easily make Builth before everything is shut.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:25 am Is anyone mad enough to try this years BB200 on a gravel bike?
I am tempted, but having looked at the Komoot stats of this yr vs last year, i think there is more off road this year than last year, and last year would have been tough on a gravel bike..... The other thing that putting me off is how wet the ground will be. Thoughts? Mtb or Gravel? Or dont care?
MTB for me Alex. I'm expecting ground conditions to be dreadful for large stretches and the extra grip/float could be the difference between riding and pushing.

You doing the 200 or 300?
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I am I wrong to still be clinging to this comment from Bob ? :???:
Back on track - unless it's well hidden I'm struggling to find any hike-a-bike on the route. A landslip or two that might make things interesting but most of the route looks eminently rideable.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've seen hike-a-bike. Bob's just not looking closely enough.

I'd say the biggest issue will be waterlogged ground though. It goes through quite a few "damp" areas.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I’ve no looked at any of it really bar where resupply is (possibly) , a bit like marriage I’ll take it as it comes for better or worse :roll:
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:49 pm
Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:25 am Is anyone mad enough to try this years BB200 on a gravel bike?
MTB for me Alex. I'm expecting ground conditions to be dreadful for large stretches and the extra grip/float could be the difference between riding and pushing.

Im doing the 200 this year again. My endurance Fitness has taken a beating with Covid, ive not done anything over 4hrs this year.
I think despite doing the sensible thing and taking the mtb, im just going to risk it and take the gravel, and risk bailing if i have too. (I like a challenge).
Im heading to FForset this Friday night for a pub meal and setting off early doors sat. Aiming for sub 17hours elapsed time. We shall see...just depends if i can actually ride the boggy bits.
RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:33 pm I’ve no looked at any of it really bar where resupply is (possibly) , a bit like marriage I’ll take it as it comes for better or worse :roll:
Well, where do we start with the analogies :smile: . Sorry, gotta go, Mrs Perrin just calling me to heel....
Last edited by RIP on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:27 pm
I'd say the biggest issue will be waterlogged ground though. It goes through quite a few "damp" areas.
And with all this rain I think I'll delay my start date by a week of so.

This won't drain away any time soon and with more to come... #waterwings
Last edited by JohnClimber on Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

middleagedmadness wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:33 pm I’ve no looked at any of it really bar where resupply is (possibly) , a bit like marriage I’ll take it as it comes for better or worse :roll:
I prefer a pre-nup! :lol:
Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:43 pm Aiming for sub 17hours elapsed time. We shall see...just depends if i can actually ride the boggy bits.
I'll be very encouraged if you get that! So good luck.
Euge

Post by Euge »

Yes I am going to try - 1 am 1x 38 11-42 with Hunt 4 season and 40 tubeless. I ride off-road/gravel on this. Just did Plymouth/Minehead bikepaking off road route, Midlands Reiver and 2 day Peakland Ramble.
DNF BB2020
redefined_cycles

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:43 pm
In Reverse wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Im doing the 200 this year again. My endurance Fitness has taken a beating with Covid, ive not done anything over 4hrs this year.
I think despite doing the sensible thing and taking the mtb, im just going to risk it and take the gravel, and risk bailing if i have too. (I like a challenge).
Im heading to FForset this Friday night for a pub meal and setting off early doors sat. Aiming for sub 17hours elapsed time. We shall see...just depends if i can actually ride the boggy bits.
You have 'Peaks' in your name. You were made for a sub 17 finish Alex...
Euge

Post by Euge »

I wanted to ask about importing the GPX file.

I use Komoot and imported the route without matching to known byways. This produces some odd sections. If I match to known routes it makes more sese as a route but might differ from te original. They both have different time estimation and distances too.

I tried importing directly into garmin GPS and this is different again. And very optimistic in time to completion!
DNF BB2020
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Euge wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:51 pm I wanted to ask about importing the GPX file.

I use Komoot and imported the route without matching to known byways. This produces some odd sections. If I match to known routes it makes more sese as a route but might differ from te original. They both have different time estimation and distances too.

I tried importing directly into garmin GPS and this is different again. And very optimistic in time to completion!
The route that we have been sent uses dot to create a straight line between points.
Sometimes the route runs through this line, parallel to this line or zigzags under it.
So use the most obvious route which is the very closest to the line and one which you are legally allowed to ride your bike on (not foot paths) and you should be fine.

I hope I'm right in saying that following the line exactly is not possible most of the time
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

tried importing directly into garmin GPS and this is different again.
If you can do this, then my advice is don't mess about with it. The gpx file should really be accurate enough to navigate by. As John says, it might not tally exactly but once out there riding, it'll make perfect sense.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:03 pm ... but once out there riding, it'll make perfect sense.
I'll say one thing Stu, you'll always be remembered for your great sense of humour... :lol: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:03 pm
If you can do this, then my advice is don't mess about with it. The gpx file should really be accurate enough to navigate by. As John says, it might not tally exactly but once out there riding, it'll make perfect sense.
Btw... does the route have a finisher yet? :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:03 pm
Bollocks :lol: I well remember battling my way down through some shoulder-high bracken in the pitch dark because I was following the line slavishly - and then seeing some lights going downhill 200-300 metres away as folk who knew there was a track away over there had found it. I'm pretty sure there was a similar issue with a river and a ford/bridge. I guess my expectation was that the supplied gpx file was more accurate than a randomly plotted selection of waypoints. My reluctance to deviate was also partly due to my unfamiliarity(and desire to stay the right side) of the access laws.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:43 pm
A few of us are in the Red Lion down the road so might pop in the Fforest for a pint.

I'd have been surprised if you hadn't taken the Ribble tbh.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

and then seeing some lights going downhill 200-300 metres away as folk who knew there was a track away over there had found it.
Well, they were in the wrong Colin.
I guess my expectation was that the supplied gpx file was more accurate than a randomly plotted selection of waypoints.
It is. My point earlier was that, you'll likely be following some type of track or at least a RoW where no path exists, rather than trying to navigate yourself through a maze of roads or such. A gpx that may stray a few metres off the line shown on your map, will (a) be difficult to even notice (b) make little difference to the ability to navigate.