BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: BB200 2020

Post by redefined_cycles »

Richard G wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:17 pm I like these rules...
I would also ask that everyone enters into the spirit of things and makes a single attempt … taking a trial run really isn’t entering into the correct spirit.
Also, given the nature of things this year, I would also ask people not to publish their ride on Strava or similar until after November 1st as it’ll be much better if only those who’ve entered are riding the route until then.
I'd personally make them both grounds for DQ... but I'm harsh like that.
Hypothetical Q Stu... If someone rode it but only documented 1 mile of the route in social media - so they could showcase their rainy pictures... that'd not be against the spirit of your above requests right (cos the actual route wouldn't have been shown as such... well, maybe just 1 mile or so of it
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hypothetical Q Stu... If someone rode it but only documented 1 mile of the route in social media - so they could showcase their rainy pictures... that'd not be against the spirit of your above requests right (cos the actual route wouldn't have been shown as such... well, maybe just 1 mile or so of it
Absolultely no problems with pictures and things Shaf (in fact, I'm going to start a 'my BB200' thread later in the week). What I'm trying to avoid is people uploading their ride to Strava in the public domain, thus making the route known / available to all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I use Ride with GPS, for everyone using this please make sure your settings are set to private when using this platform too :-b
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Leerowe76 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:42 am What about New Radnor, small village just up the road from the layby & the Forrest Inn pub carpark. Few other options i guess
There's a car park opposite The Fforset Inn closer to the loop which doesn't say Pub Parking only on Google street view. Might be worth a drive past on the way to the laybys
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Well it looks like room in pub booked for the night before and it’ll be a end of the month ride for me as long as Covid restrictions don’t move any further north (not sure if the night before spent in a pub is the best idea but it’s literally 500m off the route)
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

There's a car park opposite The Fforset Inn closer to the loop which doesn't say Pub Parking only on Google street view. Might be worth a drive past on the way to the laybys
[/quote]

That's the one I was thinking about, looks a good landing spot providing it can be used. :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:07 pm I use Ride with GPS, for everyone using this please make sure your settings are set to private when using this platform too :-b
Good point John. I checked mine and it was public, so have now changed to private. There are a couple of others already on there for this year's route unfortunately.
May satan walk with you
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:24 pm
Absolultely no problems with pictures and things Shaf (in fact, I'm going to start a 'my BB200' thread later in the week). What I'm trying to avoid is people uploading their ride to Strava in the public domain, thus making the route known / available to all.
There are already 3 lots of the 2020 route published as public on RWGPS....im afraid the cats already out the bag.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Just in case any one is staying over the night before their ride the llanelwedd arms in Builith have just confirmed you can store your bike in their store room overnight didn’t ask about leaving a car there as I’ll be getting the train but I can’t see them having a issue as long as it’s not loads at the same time they seem very helpfully (that is of course if your starting from Builth
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 am There are already 3 lots of the 2020 route published as public on RWGPS....im afraid the cats already out the bag.
Any way to message users on that? Would be good to tell them to change their settings.

Unrelated, I'm thinking of starting at Crickhowell. Will be bizarre for me as I can't tell you how many of my Beacons routes started there over the years!

Tempted to start at Hay on Wye though, just so I can do the nastiest hills whilst fresh!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Planning tip - if you do it in Komoot, you get less climbing (4,980m) than either RWGPS (4,991m), Garmin (5,480m) or Bikehike (5,505m :o ).
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Anyone doing this on a gravel bike (44c tyres)? Ive no experience of the course, and wondered if its a bit bonkers. I fancy the fast and light approach this year.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 am
There are already 3 lots of the 2020 route published as public on RWGPS....im afraid the cats already out the bag.
And people wonder how data breaches occur :roll:

Back on track - unless it's well hidden I'm struggling to find any hike-a-bike on the route. A landslip or two that might make things interesting but most of the route looks eminently rideable.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Landslide wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:11 am Planning tip - if you do it in Komoot, you get less climbing (4,980m) than either RWGPS (4,991m), Garmin (5,480m) or Bikehike (5,505m :o ).
Do any of those mess with the route? I know a few sites try and tweak the track to make it match nearby roads / footpaths etc. Probably not a great idea for one of Stu's monstrosities (or maybe it is!).
Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:18 am Anyone doing this on a gravel bike (44c tyres)? Ive no experience of the course, and wondered if its a bit bonkers. I fancy the fast and light approach this year.
There are some pretty chunky rock sections in places. Depends how much of a battering gravel bike wheels can take.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Richard G wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:19 am
Landslide wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:11 am

There are some pretty chunky rock sections in places. Depends how much of a battering gravel bike wheels can take.
Thanks - should be ok, im running cush cores. No issue with descending Jacobs Ladder and stuff like that, think im gonna risk it for a biscuit. Boggy sections are the hardest after a reccie on Black hill last week!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Richard G wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:19 am Do any of those mess with the route? I know a few sites try and tweak the track to make it match nearby roads / footpaths etc. Probably not a great idea for one of Stu's monstrosities (or maybe it is!).
Komoot (and I think Garmin?) gave me the option to either stick to the file, or use known ways (I stuck to the file).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, messing about with he file probably isn't a good idea as it could easily result in a DNF.
unless it's well hidden I'm struggling to find any hike-a-bike on the route. A landslip or two that might make things interesting but most of the route looks eminently rideable.
I did my best Bob. It should mostly be covered by reasonable tracks.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm going to cross check it against my veloviewer map when I get a chance. Really interested to see if there's any new stuff for me!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Richard G wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:04 am
Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 am There are already 3 lots of the 2020 route published as public on RWGPS....im afraid the cats already out the bag.
Any way to message users on that? Would be good to tell them to change their settings.
I've messaged a few of them. One replied to say they'd set the "route" to private, but hadn't realised the "ride" was public. Something to bear in mind for anyone using RWGPS.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Is it me or is Komoot crap? Really clunky to use and seems designed to give you RSI by enforcing multiple clicks for everything. Doesn't help that their mapping has some bridleways marked as footpaths but on one bit it sent me off route via a BW then returned via the line of the England - Wales border!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

So, it looks like I've not done from Heol-Fanog to Libanus before. The bit North of Trallong to Builth is completely new to me, so that's cool.

Just to check something, it's OK if I go off route and come back at the same place right? There's a Veloviewer square quite close to the route that I fancy grabbing on the way!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just to check something, it's OK if I go off route and come back at the same place right? There's a Veloviewer square quite close to the route that I fancy grabbing on the way!
Fine but the clock doesn't stop for detours :wink:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Had a brief debate with myself about starting at Hay to do the biggest climbs first but have decided I'll just go with the closest-to-me start at Crickhowell which means Builth Burger King at 90k :lol: then it's whether I can get to Hay at 150k before closing time...

...or whether I can get to Wales before I'm not allowed into Wales. :sad:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:33 pm Just to check something, it's OK if I go off route and come back at the same place right?
We did that in 2018 when we left the route to go to the garage, as long as you rejoin at the same place you left I think it's ok.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:37 pm
Fine but the clock doesn't stop for detours :wink:
I'll make it snappy!
sean_iow wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:39 pm
Richard G wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:33 pm Just to check something, it's OK if I go off route and come back at the same place right?
We did that in 2018 when we left the route to go to the garage, as long as you rejoin at the same place you left I think it's ok.
Seems like an age ago. lol

Can anyone confirm that Oxford Road Car park in Hay-On-Wye will basically be £4 for as long as I stay for? Seems to indicate it here, but I can't be sure: https://en.powys.gov.uk/article/4696/Car-Park-Charges

Wyeford Road looks like another option... but maybe don't park there during wet weather...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... r-51523074 :shock: