2 person shelter under £200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

2 person shelter under £200

Post by lune ranger »

I’m looking for a 2 person shelter for bikepacking that has something of the feel of my Gatewood cape.
Not a flat tarp.
Not a tent.
£150-200 including extra expenses like a pole etc.

So far I’ve eyed the 3F UL Gear 2 person Teepee and the DD Ultralight Pyramid 2 person.
Any others I should be looking at.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Re: 2 person shelter under £200

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:26 pm I’m looking for a 2 person shelter for bikepacking that has something of the feel of my Gatewood cape.
Not a flat tarp.
Not a tent.
£150-200 including extra expenses like a pole etc.

So far I’ve eyed the 3F UL Gear 2 person Teepee and the DD Ultralight Pyramid 2 person.
Any others I should be looking at.
Shouldn't you be looking at the tent version of the Deschutes?? Or a Trekkertent Stealth 2...
________
Sorry, Lunar Duo I wss thinking but seems their well over budget. What bout this https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p13913 seems to be a forward thinking company that give more than they claim (my sleeping bag of same make, came with 750 down but was claimed as 650 and its certainly one of my best bags I own with lovely thoughtful touches).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lanshan 2 seems popular.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Al

Post by Al »

How tall are you? I had a Lanshan 1 and found it too short at 6’1” - I’m assuming the Lanshan 2 would be similar. Apart from that it was a great little tent.
(I’ve since bought the newer pro version which is longer and am very happy with it)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Where does one get a Lanshan 2?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aliexpress Dave but there are a few places now selling them in the UK ... obviously the price is higher but you don't have to await the slow boat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lanshan-outd ... 3631622591
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

eBay or aliexpress

Damn it... beaten by the Bear
WSC
ton

Post by ton »

just a quick note, i have the ul3 tipi tent. and it us huge. 2 of me can live in it fine. and it packs ace to fit in my acepack bar harness
Al

Post by Al »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:09 pm Aliexpress Dave but there are a few places now selling them in the UK ... obviously the price is higher but you don't have to await the slow boat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lanshan-outd ... 3631622591
Last one I got was pretty quick - less than 2 weeks.
I guess covid could be a spanner in the works.
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

Probably a stupid question - but isnt't the Lanshan 2 a bit non-bikepacking friendly due to the need for two sticks of some kind? I presumed by the time I'd acquired and carried two walking poles I probably would've spent/carried the same as if I bought a poled tent.

Also first post, hello folks!
RIP

Post by RIP »

"walking"?? I tried that once but couldn't get along with the idea at all :wink: :smile:

Luxury sticks, often favoured by those in This Place: https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop ... bon-pole-2

I have a 4-part folding 110cm "under the counter" special carbon stick weighing the grand total of 48g...

And yes, "hello", welcome aboard :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BordersSteve wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:51 pm Probably a stupid question - but isnt't the Lanshan 2 a bit non-bikepacking friendly due to the need for two sticks of some kind? I presumed by the time I'd acquired and carried two walking poles I probably would've spent/carried the same as if I bought a poled tent.

Also first post, hello folks!
Why hello BordersSteve... Jolly good show wot...

Welcome btw :-bd
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

Two piss takes for saying hello, bunch of bastards around here... nah sure you're all lovely really.

Not sure why I didn't think (or Google) lightweight folding poles for those walking stick tents. Doh. Looks like a great solution though.

Anyone have thoughts on whether my lanky 195cm frame would fit alright in the 230cm length of the Lanshan 1 Pro? Concerned I'd soak the sleeping bag at the hood or feet by touching the outer.

Looks a bit like it's possible to get a proper 1 man tent with pole that's sub 800g for around £150-160 which seems disturbingly good value. Suppose that's presuming customs don't sting me for smuggling in Chinese goods...
Al

Post by Al »

BordersSteve wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:34 pm Two piss takes for saying hello, bunch of bastards around here... nah sure you're all lovely really.

Not sure why I didn't think (or Google) lightweight folding poles for those walking stick tents. Doh. Looks like a great solution though.

Anyone have thoughts on whether my lanky 195cm frame would fit alright in the 230cm length of the Lanshan 1 Pro? Concerned I'd soak the sleeping bag at the hood or feet by touching the outer.

Looks a bit like it's possible to get a proper 1 man tent with pole that's sub 800g for around £150-160 which seems disturbingly good value. Suppose that's presuming customs don't sting me for smuggling in Chinese goods...
You won’t. I’m 6’1” and I sold mine for exactly the reason you describe.

The lanshan 1 pro has more room and they’ve just brought out a lanshan 2 pro so I’m assuming it would be similarly roomy, but obviously don’t just take my word for it.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400033297 ... 6806xX0g0x

I’ve never got stung for customs and I’ve bought quite a lot of things off there.

Quality has always been excellent too.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

BordersSteve wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:34 pm Two piss takes for saying hello, bunch of bastards around here... nah sure you're all lovely really.

Don’t think They we’re taking the piss.
They are known for being.... ‘special’. Adds to the rich biodiversity of This Place.
:-bd
WSC
RIP

Post by RIP »

Correct :smile: .

As for special, I've proposed before that EVERYONE on Here is special in possibly more ways than one :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

Al wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:05 pm

You won’t. I’m 6’1” and I sold mine for exactly the reason you describe.

The lanshan 1 pro has more room and they’ve just brought out a lanshan 2 pro so I’m assuming it would be similarly roomy, but obviously don’t just take my word for it.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400033297 ... 6806xX0g0x

I’ve never got stung for customs and I’ve bought quite a lot of things off there.

Quality has always been excellent too.
Done some serious googling last few days and it seems like the options for UL tents built for people over 6ft 3 are slim pickings.

Some people have recommended the SMD Skyscape, which looked ideal initially with an inner length of c260cm. But the angle of the outer is very shallow on the head-end with no guy point to pull it out. So I'm pretty confident this one (and all other SMD designs) are out.

Other one I've seen a lot is the Solong 6, seems like it'll do the job but after poles and pegs the total cost is creeping towards £500. Way outside my budget sadly.

Tarptent also recommended a lot, particularly the Rainbow. Liked the look of this one but again it's well over £400 all-in :|

Think I'm going to give the Lanshan 1 Pro a try, maybe if I tension the crap out of the head/feet sides it'll be alright. Unless any other tall folk have other recommendations?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

BenP1 of this Parish is your height and has a few shelters for the long legged, including something from TarpTent if I recall right. If you say his name into a mirror five times he will appear. I promise.

PS: I just make, at home, all by myself, with no help from anyone, the most delicious chicken korma, with some basmati rice and steamed beans from my garden on the side. Well made up. As you were.
I'm just going outside ...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Cheers TBD. Two person shelters that'll work for you, I'm 6'3

Tarptent Scarp 1. Really roomy inside, but not ultralight. Let guy enough though. New version is two person capable

MLD trailstar, or the Ali express copy - the TrAliStar. Huge inside

MLD supermid. I have one and it's very comfy for two inside. Can fit more. Had three of us playing cards and drinking whiskey sitting upright in it on one trip

I have and use all the above. I looked at the SoLong but it's expensive. I'd like an Aeon Li but it's ridiculous money. I keep browsing but I'm happy with what I have for now. MLD do a few XL versions. Check them out

Alpkit Ordos is supposed to be ok too but I've never tried it. It only pitches inner first and I don't like those tents
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Done some serious googling last few days and it seems like the options for UL tents built for people over 6ft 3 are slim pickings.
Not sure if you're after two person, or that was someone else, but at 6'3" (and a bit), I'm happy so far with my Trekkertent Stealth. I've learned it's best to peg the foot end direct through the eyelets to stop feet straying under the fly. You need pegs and poles. I had some old alloy tent poles that I cut down, or you can use a bike wheel for the foot end. Pegs from China for £10.
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

Thanks Box, Ben & Dog. I'll have a look at those suggestions, seems the Americans are served very well by cottage tent makers, wish importing them over here wasnt so damn pricey.

Ps - I'll believe the quality on that korma when I see it
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

Just in case any future vertically blessed individual stumbles across this in the future, I've decided on a custom trekkertent stealth 1.5 with a bit of added length. Marc was very helpful, sizing looks ideal, weight is good and get to support a small UK manfacturer so :-bd all round