Ti tent pegs: worthwhile or liability

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Ti tent pegs: worthwhile or liability

Post by redefined_cycles »

Current pegs being the AK alu ones at around 16g each. I reckon if I got some decent Ti one's (for not too much money suprisingly) then I could know about 11g each. A saving of almost 60g :o

Anyone got any thoughts on the subject (the alu wouldn't really go to waste as could go with the wife's cheap tent which she keeps nicking my AL pegs for!)...
ScotRoutes

Re: Ti tent pegs: worthwhile or liability

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have some. I also have some of Stus carbon ones.

They're tent pegs and all seem to do the job. I like having a mix of materials and shapes to handle any odd ground conditions.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I find that I need a variety of pegs from Stu's lightweight carbon ones all the way up to MSR Groundhogs depending on soil conditions, weather and the size of the tarp. Remember that they "work" by providing resistance to movement through the soil so if you've sandy or loose soil you need bigger, broader pegs. The other month the ground was so soft, about 200mm of pine needle litter, that the only way I could peg out my tarp was to find dry sticks and use those.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I bought some ti pins from alpkit once as they were in a sale but found they just pull out in soft ground. Now I just take my aluminium triangular ones and don't care about the extra weight, not that it's much.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

TI pegs come in all shapes and sizes.
I’ve some very well used ti skewer pegs and some hefty ti nail pegs. The nails are super sturdy and take a bunch of abuse. The skewer ones are good general pegs and I can use them inmost situations on UK bikepacking trips. They aren’t the lightest, I also have some 2g ti pegs that are mostly useless except for steadying a groundsheet.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Reach down to your waist. If you can pinch a few inches then you know the answer.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:04 pm Reach down to your waist. If you can pinch a few inches then you know the answer.
Thanks Dave... I have my answer now :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

I love my 6" 9g Ti V pegs - they provide excellent resistance as per Bob's comment. Never use wire/round ones now.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ti pin pegs (Alpkit ones in my case) generally chuffing useless. Mix of round and V alloys always go out with me nowadays. ETTO and ground-permitting but skinny ti pegs not worth it.

And I love Ti :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The Ti pin pegs I got with my Vango helium are now used by my mother to pin down slug netting. She says they are very effective for this.....

Where yous getting your ti v section pegs from?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I got my ti V pegs from alpkit. I also have ti pins. Depends on the ground as to what holds best.

I was amazed the ti pins held the Deschutes down on Dartmoor on the winter bivi in the gale but the ground was hard.

I've probably got 10 types of peg, I keep them all in a tupperware box and take whatever seems appropriate.

I always use the alpkit alloy pins, the red ones, for backyard bivis, they are easy to spot so none get left in. A ti pin would not go through my mower very happily :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I usually use Easton Golds which are similar to the Alpkit ones but lighter, great in soft tussocky ground.
I also carry a few ti skewers to worm in when the ground is rocky.
The square section carbon pegs on Ali hold really well in all sorts of ground, never tried Stu’s but heard good things about them from a few mates.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:02 pm

I always use the alpkit alloy pins, the red ones, for backyard bivis, they are easy to spot so none get left in. A ti pin would not go through my mower very happily :lol:
I’ve added some yellow heat shrink to the head of my ti skewer pegs so they are easy to spot when packing up camp.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Shewie wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:14 pm I usually use Easton Golds which are similar to the Alpkit ones but lighter
I've been looking for some of them for ages, I can't seem to find anyone selling them in the UK. Mountain Laurel Designs sell them in the USA but carriage makes it uneconomical.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 pm
Shewie wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:14 pm I usually use Easton Golds which are similar to the Alpkit ones but lighter
I've been looking for some of them for ages, I can't seem to find anyone selling them in the UK. Mountain Laurel Designs sell them in the USA but carriage makes it uneconomical.
I’m sure somebody in Europe was selling them not too long ago, possibly backpackinglight.dk or maybe Outdoorline
I’ve accumulated quite a few with MLD and TT shelters, only broken one trying to hammer it into Kinlochewe CC campsite with a rock
RIP

Post by RIP »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:15 pm
sean_iow wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:02 pm

I’ve added some yellow heat shrink to the head of my ti skewer pegs so they are easy to spot when packing up camp.
Knotted some fluorescent 1.5mm dyneema onto the ends of my Ti V's (there's cutouts along their whole length which helps). Added benefit is I then don't trip over them if I get up during the night to chat to James Riddle or something. Obviously increases the weight but am happy with the trade-off.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Shewie wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:09 pm I’m sure somebody in Europe was selling them not too long ago, possibly backpackinglight.dk
Good call. They have them in a set, listed as Six Moon Designs although SMD no longer show them on their website. No wonder I couldn't find them as I was googling for either Easton or Mountain Laurel Designs pegs.

Here's my current choices

I also have Hilleberg alloy Vs, Ys and square sections in the loft along with some snow/sand pegs I bought from the local Blacks when we had snow a few years back and it looked like there might be enough to make it worthwhile heading out overnight, sadly it stopped before it was deep enough :sad:
RIP

Post by RIP »

I never knew you curated the IoW Tent Peg Museum, Sean :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For anyone with 10 minutes they don't want back.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... -test.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Forgotten about that article - fantastic. Love the length chart and the lab test conditions!

Rather than losing ten minutes, I reckon I've gained 5 minutes - only took me 5 to read it so I'm up on the deal :-bd . Now what shall I do with them....

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Nice one Stu.
Did you measure the velocity with which the pegs took your eye out as well :lol:
WSC
psling

Post by psling »

I know that's not a comprehensive test but (to me) it's interesting that the results seem to reflect the peg lengths as much as shape or material - the further into the ground the more secure which of course makes sense.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It needs a graph for weigh/holding power :geek:

Of note is that the Aluminum Spike (34g) failed at 58lb. The Ti nail (8g) failed at 32lb.

So, would 2 x Ti nails close together with a y shaped line fail at a combined 64lb? They would only weigh 16g so stronger and lighter than a single aluminum spike. More testing required please Stu :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When we got tractors stuck in bogs we'd use a winch to get them out but often one stake wouldn't provide enough anchorage so we'd improve things by adding two more to form a 'Y' with the main stake at the junction and the two assistants at the top of each arm - the stuck tractor would be at the foot of the 'Y' if you were. You wanted around 60-90 between the wires leading to the two extra stakes.

There's a few factors at play with tent pegs: length, width, shape, angle in the ground, angle to the load; soil type and moisture.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry