Fork leg storage

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Delv4

Fork leg storage

Post by Delv4 »

What are you guys using to store some stuff on the fork leg? Is it just two voile straps done up nice and tight or is there a cage there also to put the dry bag in to before strapping down tight?
Lazarus

Re: Fork leg storage

Post by Lazarus »

I use gorrilla cages* though I suspect soft stuff - ie a jacket- could be secured with straps alone though i have not tried this

* they came with the bike and i have not used anything else - no issues in use the straps are a bit of a faff and i think an actual platform at the bottom would be an easier solution
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Depends what mounting hardware you have on the fork leg. If you have threads for front panniers or mudguards, then a rack like the Gorilla,Blackburn or Anything cage is a no brainer as it stops bags rubbing the fork leg or worse, the bag slipping down or rotating into the wheel causing an unplanned trip otb.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nothing. I much prefer to reduce weight and bulk as much as possible and then don't mind carrying a small backpack if needs be. My couple of experiences with fork leg cages were less than stellar as I found they caught on too much bracken and heather, rocks etc.

Without casting aspersions on anyone on this forum, I reckon they are as much a fashion accessory as #danglemugs.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Gorilla cages on the fatty as I have the tripple mount points.

On the suspension bike I've got the planet X fork bag kits. Only mod is to use inner tubes permanently tie wrapped to the forks. With those the cages are rock solid.

Cheap and they work. Recommended.
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

Thanks all
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

they came with the bike and i have not used anything else - no issues in use the straps are a bit of a faff and i think an actual platform at the bottom would be an easier solution
The new version has revised strapping and a peoper base to the cage :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

In that case they are probably perfect -the old version do work but you have to faff to get it secure
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I use Gorilla Cages as well and find them decent. I have used them on my fat bike fork legs and on my hardtail 29er bike packing bike in the past but these days they're restricted to use on my gravel bike (which has mounts on the forks already)mainly for the reasons that Scotroutes mentions above.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Gorrila cages here too as they came supplied with the bike. On the rare occasions I use them I pack only the lightest stuff in them like tarp, bivi bag or down jacket.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I used to use Gorilla cages but found all the velcro a bit too much faff, even for me.

So I've got these now. Not light by any standard but very tough and so far waterproof. I've ditched the straps for Voile ones because they mark me out as a man who just knows .....

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODTFB/ ... e-and-ties.
I'm just going outside ...
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:48 pm I used to use Gorilla cages but found all the velcro a bit too much faff, even for me.

So I've got these now. Not light by any standard but very tough and so far waterproof. I've ditched the straps for Voile ones because they mark me out as a man who just knows .....

Jubilee clips look a bit... agricultural. Do they mark the fork leg?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm sure this had been mentioned, but I'd like to see pics of stuff bolted to bouncy forks, got anything cages and apidura bags but non of my bikes currently accept this set up.

I will end up with rigids again at some point but would like to still use bouncy forks and bags on legs carrying waterproofs or a bit of extra food.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Not the best photo, but here goes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5ejb3zJGJtfT5km9

Just done 180km in the peak district with these, didn't budge.
ripio

Post by ripio »

To me, one of the advantages of bikepacking gear is that is kept well clear of the wheels and the potential to snag on vegetation on rough narrow tracks, so putting stuff on the fork legs seems to be a bad idea (might as well use panniers).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Its the same width as where my pedals are and that is with boost forks and its also higher up
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Although not too often, I occasionally mount Blackburn Outpost cages (or basic bottle cages, as in the attached photo) on my MTB's or fat bike's suspension forks. I use the SKS Anywhere Mounts and find them pretty effective. They generally sit very tight against the forks but sometimes after riding over rougher terrain they might require a re-tightening of the Velcro. https://www.inspiralcycles.co.uk/5291/p ... mount.aspx

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Delv4 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:30 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:48 pm I used to use Gorilla cages but found all the velcro a bit too much faff, even for me.

Jubilee clips look a bit... agricultural. Do they mark the fork leg?

My forks have braze ons but Ive used similar on others and just protected the fork leg with a strip of inner tube. It's not going to look elegant, but it'll work fine
I'm just going outside ...
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Latest GMBN Tech bikepacking film had some strap on Topeak frames and panniers for front and rear. The interesting bit was how they secure the frame to the bike without bolting it on, Velcro and a wee threaded cam I think that tightens it further than by hand. Probably best suited for road/gravel types.
https://youtu.be/6Jx-vThuNpQ
There’s also a competition to win a rear set.