using a tipi type shelter without a inner of bivi bag ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

using a tipi type shelter without a inner of bivi bag ?

Post by ton »

i have a tipi type shelter, used with a single walking pole.
using it without the inner would half the weight and packsize, so i was gonna try it with just the outer, with some tyvek for my mat lo lay on.
good idea without a bivi bag ? or would my kip bag get wet with dripping condensation.
ScotRoutes

Re: using a tipi type shelter without a inner of bivi bag ?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Condensation will depend on how well it is vented. Pitch it off the ground a bit, leave a door open etc.
ton

Post by ton »

it has a couple of vents in the top.
used it last week for the 1st time. bloody ace. loads of room and up in 3 minutes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Remember that in order to reduce condensation you need air flow Tony. Pitch it too low and no amount of top vents will help. Think of it as a chimney or an engine and you won't go far wrong :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what they said + pitching location +weather/humidity/dew point

Drafts are certainly your friend though
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Done it a few times in the deschutes (when no midges or errant slugs are guaranteed...) and I'd agree its a nice thing to do, particularly at -5 in your winter bag. Condensation is not that much of an issue as it tends not to drip, just collect on the inner. I just be careful moving around in the morning..
psling

Post by psling »

The tarp can actually be a sacrificial vapour barrier under certain circumstances; by providing a surface for condensation to form on it can stop it forming on the surface of your sleeping bag. As ht says, just be careful not to brush against it.
If there's a temperature differential and a source of humidity then there is likely to be condensation on a surface somewhere. Ventilation can reduce the temperature differential.

disclaimer!: It's a long time since I studied condensation (in buildings) but the principles are similar :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

I never use my Locus Gear Khafra with an inner, though I do use a groundsheet that I think helps keep moisture down. It’s so massive that touching the sides is never a problem even with two occupants!