Alpkit Kraku and gas canister issues

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Alpkit Kraku and gas canister issues

Post by barney »

I took my new Alpkit Kraku out for its first trip last night. Not sure if I had the flame on too high but once it had cooled and I took it off the canister (a brand new JetBoil canister) something appeared to snap and the gas didn't seal, it all escaped leaving me with an empty canister. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the stove but there is a raised blue cap like thingy on the canister (is that normally the "stopper valve"?)

A bit awkward because it meant I had no gas for my coffee and porridge this morning. Luckily I borrowed my mates stove but if I was on my own it wouldn't have been a fun breakfast.

I'm not sure if I imagined it but didn't people have issues with Kraku's and canisters?

I'm going to ring Alpkit tomorrow/Monday but I just thought I'd ask on here first if anyone had similar issues. I have to admit to not having much faith in it for the WRT next week.

cheers
Wait for me...
voodoo_simon

Re: Alpkit Kraku and gas canister issues

Post by voodoo_simon »

Can’t help with the alpkit but my MSR pocket rocket has been faultless in the last 15 or so years
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I think the issue was the opposite, they wouldn't screw on far enough to depress the little plunger that lets the gas out of the canister.

I've had no issues with mine, I've used msr and coleman canisters.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think the issue was the opposite, they wouldn't screw on far enough to depress the little plunger that lets the gas out of the canister.
Yep, that was the issue. Not limited to Alpkit stoves either ... I've had similar troubles with others when using Coleman canisters.

No idea about your problem Mark. Sounds very much like a problem with the canister itself.
May the bridges you burn light your way
substandard

Post by substandard »

I’ve had jetboil and other brand canisters play up in the past even when used with my actual jetboil as well as kraku. Normally a gentle press of the ball with a multi tool and the ball will reseat properly. Have never got to the bottom of why some canisters seem to do this. I always check after I’ve used it by putting it to my ear to check its seated perfectly, most times it does but occasionally it doesn’t seat. Never had one fully empty though.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:51 pm
Yep, that was the issue. Not limited to Alpkit stoves either ... I've had similar troubles with others when using Coleman canisters.

No idea about your problem Mark. Sounds very much like a problem with the canister itself.
I *thought* it was that the base of the kraku bottomed out on the canister before it had screwed down enough to seal so (internal O ring at top of threads inside the burner) the risk was leaking gas whilst using.

Happy to be corrected if anyone has the warning they put out?

I thought it was all a pit pony at the time but equally have happily kept (carefully) using mine.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

It'll be a compatibility issue with the type of gas canister you're using. I have a Kraku and only use it with Coleman canisters and it works perfectly.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:00 pm I *thought* it was that the base of the kraku bottomed out on the canister before it had screwed down enough to seal so (internal O ring at top of threads inside the burner) the risk was leaking gas whilst using.
Actually I think you're right, I knew it was something to do with the stove bottoming out on the canister. Mine's been fine with every brand of canister I've used.

The issue I have now is that my local shops have sold out of canisters :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uhm, I'm thinking it was that the pin in the stove didn't / wasn't long enough to open the valve on some canisters? I've got a prototype Alpkit Brukit thing that does the same and won't work at all with Coleman cylinders.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

As said avoid the jet boil cans.
Had the exact same issue.

Stick to msr ones.