Whats your DD600 kitlist look like??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Whats your DD600 kitlist look like??

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per title so i have some ideas of what most of the crazy people are doing.... my main dilemma is leaving the stove behind or not but will decide after this thread becones populated :grin:

I'm drawing out the route into 4 or 5 bitesized chunks which you can call your payback for itemising your kit list here. Its on Strava so you'd need a strava account to get the route I'm making.

[Edit: Just off the top of your head will do]
Taylor

Re: Whats your DD600 kitlist look like??

Post by Taylor »

I believe I've missed what the DD600 Is?
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Last year I didn't pack a stove, deciding to ride slow and light!!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Come on you lot .... what is the DD600. Google says its thttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-DD60 ... B0016ZU5ZI
I'm just going outside ...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

dales divide 600

If its more than overnight i take a stove
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When did the 600 bit get added?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:14 pm When did the 600 bit get added?
I think it was a decision by the organisers to celebrate the first running of the event in 1420. It was originally instigated by Henry V as a celebration of the winning of the battle of Agincourt 5 years earlier.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

He got married in 1420 and his wife had huge tracts of land which ties back nicely to the DD
substandard

Post by substandard »

If the weather is looking changeable, then the ability to heat water is a no brainer for me, got myself out of all sorts of mental battles on last years gbduro with my little kraku, a ti mug and a coffee or rehydrated veggie meal.

Kit wise.... I’ve just about finished building my new bike for this sort of thing... the fatbike is staying at home for once!
redefined_cycles

substandard wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:50 pm If the weather is looking changeable, then the ability to heat water is a no brainer for me, got myself out of all sorts of mental battles on last years gbduro with my little kraku, a ti mug and a coffee or rehydrated veggie meal.

Kit wise.... I’ve just about finished building my new bike for this sort of thing... the fatbike is staying at home for once!
Thanks Substandard (I'm sure you and your bike/s aren't :smile: )... You've sold it to me. My little msr-whatever stove it'll be then :-bd
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:14 pm When did the 600 bit get added?
Not sure it is officially Stu... Just heard some people mention it as such (well one) and its regularly mentioned (take for example Stu taylors recce write up) with 600 in the same or next sentence to Dales Divide. Surely it'll become know as that.

Just finished making (redrawing) the first 80ish miles of it yesterday and I think I understand why Andy was cursing the first section (in another thread of same topic of DD). It made my legs hurt with the amount of off road climbing it seemed to involve! :sad:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

no need for a stove.
didn't take one last year, won't take one this year

what to take...
day riding kit
night riding kit, plus spare light batteries
sleeping kit
means to recharge Garmin
credit card
redefined_cycles

Asposium wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:46 pm no need for a stove.
didn't take one last year, won't take one this year

what to take...
day riding kit
night riding kit, plus spare light batteries
sleeping kit
means to recharge Garmin
credit card
How hard is it actually... worse (alot tougher) than last years BB200?? :smile:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

It’s 400km longer for starters.
Most (*) of it was rideable (there was note worthy cliff face that was interesting, route misses that section this year)
All the tracks actually exist on the ground; same cannot be said for a typical bb200

—-
(*) I was on a gravel bike, not making that mistake again
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:00 pm finished making (redrawing) the first 80ish miles of it yesterday and I think I understand why Andy was cursing the first section
Not cursing it tbf Shaf, just acknowledging that it's a tough first day's riding. It's a fantastic day's riding that everyone should enjoy too.

I'm also of the opinion that the "600" bit in the title is unnecessary :grin:
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:22 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:00 pm finished making (redrawing) the first 80ish miles of it yesterday and I think I understand why Andy was cursing the first section
Not cursing it tbf Shaf, just acknowledging that it's a tough first day's riding. It's a fantastic day's riding that everyone should enjoy too.

I'm also of the opinion that the "600" bit in the title is unnecessary :grin:
Good point... I'll have to have a word with whoever used it first. It will be the DalesDivide600 in coming years though, you mark my words :smile:

I've decided that my legs might not manage the full route so will 'enjoy' that first section and once at York and got some grub will just take the shortcut to join the northerly end and cont back to Arnside :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The first day was tough last year due to the heat, in slightly less extreme weather it would be a really great day.

Also..... I made it 610km last year when I rode it, so shouldn't it be the DD610 :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 pm I made it 610km last year
I got 614km. NO WONDER you were faster round it than me. :roll:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Chapeau gentlemens. It would take me five days to ride 600km.
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 pm The first day was tough last year due to the heat, in slightly less extreme weather it would be a really great day.

Also..... I made it 610km last year when I rode it, so shouldn't it be the DD610 :wink:
Lol.. I think (but could be wrong) I caught the statement (of 600) from yourself :lol: make your mind up man...

Anyway... FWIW I've decided I'm not gonna do the 600+ route anyway. Maybe the 450ish version... Maybe none at all (feeling a bit soft and sorry for my knee... neuropathic pain stuff going on with it like phantom limb!!)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:39 pm Anyway... FWIW I've decided I'm not gonna do the 600+ route anyway. Maybe the 450ish version... Maybe none at all (feeling a bit soft and sorry for my knee... neuropathic pain stuff going on with it like phantom limb!!)
Shaf, as I follow you on Strava I see the rides you do, you are more than capable of doing the full route, start and see how you get on. These rides aren't about how fit you are, they are all mental strength, you just need to take the fist step and believe in yourself.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:01 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:39 pm Anyway... FWIW I've decided I'm not gonna do the 600+ route anyway. Maybe the 450ish version... Maybe none at all (feeling a bit soft and sorry for my knee... neuropathic pain stuff going on with it like phantom limb!!)
Shaf, as I follow you on Strava I see the rides you do, you are more than capable of doing the full route, start and see how you get on. These rides aren't about how fit you are, they are all mental strength, you just need to take the fist step and believe in yourself.
I already told him that but he’s got his ears closed.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Luke... Sean... that's really really nice of you to say that but don't forget that just a few years ago my biggest (tough mtb) ride would have been the Mary Townley Loop. Hence I'm trying to not take too big a leap too fast... :grin: you've really inspired me though once again...

In the last 2 years - thankfully to the forum - my range in mtb terms has gone from 60ish straight to 130 miles. I really should slow down... But reckon my gear collection is now happy enough to be able to warrant a bit bigger riding :wink:
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Hello Shaf
I rode this last year with absolutely no idea if I would make it and had plans of being in bed by 9pm :lol: , I met Sean on the first morning and he said about riding quite late and it dawned on me that I would have to do the same if I was going to get round, the first day is the hardest for sure but after 100 miles the going gets better.
I didn't overthink it and just kept riding and I got to the end so if you can do 130 miles in one go I think you should be fine, the North York Moors where spectacular I thought and if you do the short version you would miss that- just saying :-bd
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that insight too Tim... Maybe I should rethink my strategy of what scenery I'd like to see and start at York instead :lol:

Thing is I finish the night shift on the Thursday morning and it takes a little to recover from them (shiftwork... designed to make you old quicker I think). Then I need to be back at work on the Tuesday (or is it Wednesday... but lets go with Thurs as it works for my inner debate) which means a very very tight (and rock solid stupid) schedule for me... Hence if I work on 450km-ish then it means I have more likelhood of not pulling a sickie (as it puts too much pressure on everyone all for the sake of type2 fun :smile: )...

Yeah (thinks to himself) the abridged route sounds rather lovely and ensures I manage to actually see the scenery...

NB. Who told you I could do 130 in one go (mtb miles :o )... that's boring old road riding which I might have a chance at...