Cycling glasses... getting old

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Cycling glasses... getting old

Post by JohnClimber »

I need distance glasses to bring trees on the horizon back in to focus and clear as HD,
And close up different ones for reading.

In between I''ve perfect vision.

So long distance one's means I cant see my GPS clearly and I've never tried my reading ones for riding... I will crash...

So which glasses do you recommend for me?

Where's the best and most inexpensive please to buy them from?

Also what are those inserts called to go behind the interchangeable lenses please?

Growing old is sh!te isn't it?
lune ranger

Re: Cycling glasses... getting old

Post by lune ranger »

I use Rudy Project Rydon glasses with the RP clip on insert. My optician makes lenses to go into the insert.
The system allows me to use any lens I like in the sunnies whilst still being able to see.
My prescription isn’t straight forward, I had a blast injury so one eye is considerably different to the other. I can’t get the likes of Oakley Rx that work.
My main gripe is they are prone to misting when it’s very wet, probably a function if the double glazing, most of the time they are ok.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have much the same issue. After lots of trying other things I finally bit the bullet and got contacts( who honestly fancies putting your finger in your eye?!)
I found it far easier than prescription lenses etc and I can wear whatever dummies I like.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I'm a 50 something, with awful eyesight and aging really isn't helping.

I too would recommend contacts, partly because glasses either get rained on or fug up.

Also because when your prescription changes it is no cost to get different lenses.

Mine are dailies which I'd recommend. My optician has said they are fine to sleep in once occasionally and that has been fine.

As for the needing 2 prescriptions issue. I have one lens set for 'normal' and the other adjusted slightly to aid phone / GPS use.

The right lens is important for long days riding.
Mine are acuvue oasys hydraluxe.

You'll want front mudguards and crud catcher and I use cycling glasses. You don't want sub standard in your eye when you wear lenses.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Agreed, I looked at prescription Oakleys(I have numerous glasses) but replacing a lens regularly is very costly(£2-300)!!!
I use contacts for distance, though they are fine for checking map/phone on bars. My optician said that the £1 shop glasses are fine for reading as the contacts are the prescription. I take a pair for reading and they’re cheap to replace:) I use monthly but imagine the cost is the same-ish?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've never been brave enough to wear contacts on a multi-day ride though I wear them all the time for day rides. I do find though that I have to do that strange hold at arms length type stance to properly read anything. I hadn't thought about getting a pair of cheap reading glasses to go with.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I wear contacts with one eye adjusted for distance and one for close-up. This is usually OK but I struggle with reading when I’m tired. After a similar thread a while back I bought some riding glasses with a small reading lens built into the bottom of the main, plain (riding) lens for use on long rides.

I’ve never actually used them and forgot all about them until the other day I put them on to go riding, thinking they were ordinary riding glasses. I thought I was having a funny turn till I realised what was going on. :roll: :oops:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm so fed up with glasses that I've been looking into Lasik, but may be too old
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

I use safety specs from Amazon, £10 a shot with a small bifocal section to read Garmin and phone

. https://www.amazon.co.uk/voltX-CONSTRUC ... 152&sr=8-8
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

SeannyD wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:12 pm I use safety specs from Amazon, £10 a shot with a small bifocal section to read Garmin and phone

Me too. Yellow lenses. But if OP needs three fields (distance, mid-range and reading) then they wouldn’t help much.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:04 pm But if OP needs three fields (distance, mid-range and reading) then they wouldn’t help much.
I use the voltx safety bifocals as well.

John C, do you really need the trees on the horizon to be HD sharp? Just ride towards them until they are in the middle distance and you'll be able to see them fine :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

+1 for Rydons. Mrs Scattamah has the inserts and says they're great. Weight is right for forgetting you have them on. On the downside, they are designed for your face and will not survive in your pocket. I have a set with cracked frame from this. Treat them kindly and you won't be disappointed.

Greetz

S.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Are you sure those trees are on the horizon?

Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I use the Tifosi readers.

https://www.tifosioptics.com/product/ve ... 0-fototec/

Work really well, only come in dark or clear though.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:02 pm I'm so fed up with glasses that I've been looking into Lasik, but may be too old
Had mine done 13 years ago. Bought it on eBay... (true), brilliant except for the smell of burning flesh. Lasted 10 years now just as bad as before.
TBH though Dave, 10 years would see you out :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

rufus748 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:09 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:02 pm I'm so fed up with glasses that I've been looking into Lasik, but may be too old
Had mine done 13 years ago. Bought it on eBay... (true), brilliant except for the smell of burning flesh. Lasted 10 years now just as bad as before.
I quite fancy this. Quite a lot in fact
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I used to carry a pair of readers but they kept getting squashed.

Been toying with going back to correct prescription in both eyes and getting a monocle.

I jest not.

Should cause a laff at the very least when it comes out in the pub!
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:04 pm
SeannyD wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:12 pm I use safety specs from Amazon, £10 a shot with a small bifocal section to read Garmin and phone

Me too. Yellow lenses. But if OP needs three fields (distance, mid-range and reading) then they wouldn’t help much.
I was working on the same principle as Sean :wink:
A monocle would be cool :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

A monocle would be superb! Trouble is you'd need to be wearing the full Bertie Wooster tweed clobber as well to pull it off with complete panache..
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I had mine done a long time ago, cost nearly £4k per eye at the time as it was still very new. Lasted about 6 - 7 years and then started fading, great while it lasted
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Shewie wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:27 am
I had mine done a long time ago, cost nearly £4k per eye at the time as it was still very new. Lasted about 6 - 7 years and then started fading, great while it lasted
My mum got them done when they did her cataracts. I'm sure she was well into her 70s. You're not that old are you Dave?

:wink:

But seriously, there's an age limit?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Problem with laser treatment is that it’s a one off correction of a (in most cases) dynamic change in visual acuity.
It will stop working at some point and you will need glasses again.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:52 am Problem with laser treatment is that it’s a one off correction of a (in most cases) dynamic change in visual acuity.
I'd pay that price for 10 years without them
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 pm
lune ranger wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:52 am Problem with laser treatment is that it’s a one off correction of a (in most cases) dynamic change in visual acuity.
I'd pay that price for 10 years without them
Absolutely.
It won’t help me anyway. Prescription is too complicated now.
Previously I was put off by the fact that there’s no guarantee you won’t still need glasses after the procedure. I’ve never spoken to anyone that happened too though.
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I had one friend that had them done that used to wear glasses for driving but that was as much to do with a slight sensitivity to glare as much as a mild distance correction