Your go-to waterproof trousery pants

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Your go-to waterproof trousers

Post by RIP »

extra ones in case the first layer leaks... :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:04 am In that case, what are underpants?
They go under these pants :grin: (but you have a very good point there Colin...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Another vote here for Berghaus Paclite troos. And Madison Tempest for 3/4 waterproof (for a while) shorts.

Tena make good waterproof pants - best to buy in bulk though.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:04 am In that case, what are underpants?
I assume we've dropped the 'under''as only superman wears overpants :smile: That brings back happy memories of pants over pajama bottoms and your pillow case as a cape, it was the 70s, they hadn't yet invented the computer to keep us occupied.

As Americans call their trousers 'pants' what do they call their actual pants?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

When they drive to the beach do they put their trunks in their trunks?

Tomayto. Potarto. Ridiculous language :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevewaters

Re: Your go-to waterproof trousery pants

Post by stevewaters »

I hadn't used waterproof pants for many years and always scoffed at my wife for wearing them on mountain walks etc. but I took a pair of Montane Minimus Waterproof Pants (150 grams) on my HT550 ITT and was so grateful - I think I wore them for 3 days straight and they - along with my Buffalo-style jacket - helped me avoid hypothermia.

I have used them on a few big rides since and they are holding up surprisingly well.

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/clothin ... pants-p402
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I have the alpkit ones and have just done a section of the Great North Trail, it peed down for one solid day with no let ups and amazingly I had dry legs at the end of the day, they where brand new though and that was there first outing but I was impressed.
I'm doing the dd and will definitely be taking them whatever the weather forecast says.
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for all the overwhelming responses ( :lol: )...

Colin... I tried finding them Zeniths you mentioend but none in stock anywhere... Good call and I shall chase em up for my winter riding when back in stock...

Glad the Alpkit and Montane are both seemingly working. If I manage to get paid and order in time I'll try and get a set. If not it looks like it'll have to be the heavyweight ArmyIssue once more...

:smile: BearbonesBikepacking and the folk that frequent it: what an amazing resource for the world (sorry SingletrackW)
99percentchimp

Re: Your go-to waterproof pants

Post by 99percentchimp »

Blackhound wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:44 pm I have been using Montane Atomic DT if still available, wore them yesterday for a walk as it happens. Lightweight and zips below the knee. Wore them on the Tour Divide and now on second pair having lost the first.
I’ve got these too. Good for a decent time, pack small and have lower leg zips so easy on. Used on Cairngorms Loop in anger :-bd where the wind proof properties in the wind add warmth. Over leg warmers when the going gets going
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

When looking for troops I narrowed it down to the Berghaus or Alpkit ones. Picked up a pair of the latter in their sale early in lockdown. Have sat in a bag ever since thanks to lockdown and life :|
thenorthwind

Re: Your go-to waterproof pants

Post by thenorthwind »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:31 am
Endura Something-or-other
If soft shell its stealth - they are waterproof but the material is not like a coat so the water does not run off and prolonged use can make you cold as the water is cold- to some degree offset by knee warmers etc
I would not expect to be warmif i wore these allday in the rain - i would expect to be dry .

I use mine for commuting and local night rides- they are not t all packable either so they are tights you ould wear at he start of a ride
Turns out they're actually Altura - I always confuse the two :roll: They're a hard shell material - "React" according to the label.