Post by The Cumbrian »

Perfect, thanks for that.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
RIP

Re: UK right to roam campaign

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:34 pm
RIP wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:40 pm Good spot there 'Wind. He nicely summarises the situation. Should be thrust under the nose of Priti "Useless" Patel.

In fact, I've just written to my MP to urge them not to support the proposed change in the law. If all 1,974 of us did the same, that might cause some ruffled feathers and, who knows, may even help a little.
I prefer "Vacant" :wink:
Good one :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
techno

Post by techno »

Got this from the right to roam people too, perfect for those of us too idle to even send an email:
Petition: Don’t criminalise trespass
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300139

:wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Tech - yes, it just turned up here too. Done.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Also signed
Sadly my MP is the speaker so he is literally apolitical and of no use to anyone he "represents" - I reckon 15-20 years before we have a proper MP [ was deputy speaker so not voted for 7 years so far- aint democracy great :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Signed, but given their recent record on public opinion I don't hold out much hope of our signatures having much influence, but if you don't at least try then you are just complicit in the result.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:38 am Signed, but given their recent record on public opinion I don't hold out much hope of our signatures having much influence, but if you don't at least try then you are just complicit in the result.
Absolutely, I've emailed my MP too using
Perrin's Prefabricated Parliamentarian Provocation (Patent Pending).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's worth looking up your MP to find their interests, what they campaign for, etc. and modify Reg's letter or something similar to show that the proposed changes would negatively impact those.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:38 pm It's worth looking up your MP to find their interests
My MPs appears to be going to bbq's in lock-down with the leader of the Brexit party at a second home and taking his girlfriend, then claiming he thought it was a meeting about the test and trace app. When he reailsed it was a party he left early so only had time to eat half a sausage. Obviously he's now known locally as Bob 'Sausage' Sealy :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Signed but seeing as my MP wanted to sell off the Forestry Commission and is a gerroffmalaind farmer who never appreciates me throwing the carrots and potatoes at him that his tractors drop on the road, I don't think the e-mail that I will send him will do much good.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Over 107,000 signatures now so parliament have to "consider" it for debate.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Richard Leafe, Lakes National Park CEO, just been on mainstream Radio 4.... interviewer stsrts with: "wildcamping... and people not doing it properly".

Richard was excellent. "Fly camping" by inexperienced visitors.... real wildcamping long accepted in Lakes... in high mountains... takes skill and effort... leave no trace... arrive late leave early.... etc. Made a clear dinstinction between "fly" and "wild" camping. Plenty more in a positive tone. Thank you Richard!

RIP

Post by RIP »

As well as "fly camping" we now have "dirty camping", which is rather less compromising, courtesy of MSP Murdo Fraser talking in an, ahem, Waitrose newspaper article. Two page spread about wildcamping, not much new but worth a read.

Apparently John Harold, Director of the Snowdonia Society, is going to engage some psychologists to "understand the mentality of people who abandon campsites"! General conclusion about the solution: better education about how to responsibly use the outdoors.

The article writer, Oliver Smith, says his favourite wildcamping time is winter so good for him.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Well it's 'Autumn' now and not heard owt about the proposed trespass Bill. I mean it's not as though they've got anything else to be thinking about.

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Knowing this lot, they'll somehow find a way to make things worse rather than better.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes it is uncanny that isn't it..

RIP

Post by RIP »

In fact you'd almost think they were doing that on purpose.

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

As an interim measure I'd happily settle for a rationalisation and expansion of the bridleway network. I'm sure we're all too familiar with BW's that turn into footpaths in the middle of nowhere, footpaths that are doubletrack and have farm/access traffic etc.
The Ramblers association claim a membership of over 100,000 with the British Horse Society ( our logical, if uncomfortable for some, allies) claiming the same amount. Add the 68500 membership of cycling UK an seemingly the weight of numbers would be in our favour.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes agreed that would certainly be a good start. I think I got a bit confused in this thread tbh because it started as R2R then seemed to morph into Right To Bivvy then Right To Ride and then a bit about the Trespass Bill (or maybe not - I did say I was confused :smile: ). I think I personally see it as Right To Roam (On 2 Legs) which would include R2B (in fact we know the R2R Campaign includes that) but not really Right To Ride (Anywhere) which would be a tall order. So yes let's convert a load of ('suitable'?) FPs to BWs, and bin the Trespass tightening, and that would be a huge step forward. We can then ride a 'super-FP' somewhere and crash out on the moor next to it. Given the lack of resources to maintain our existing RoW something interesting would have to occur first.