Come back 2x, all is forgiven!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sunbeam

Come back 2x, all is forgiven!

Post by Sunbeam »

Hello,

This is my first post here as a brand new forum member :-bd

I live in south Wales (UK) and ride mostly in the tight twisty back lanes of the Gwent area twice a week for about 10-40miles per ride on average. I do sometimes find myself at the FoD, Cwmcarn or Bike Park Wales, but not very often.

I have a very nice 2016 full carbon Cube Stereo 140mm 29'er 2x, the moment I took her for a test ride around the shop, I knew she was the perfect fit for me! She matches the type of riding I do perfectly, with long fast lane down hills where you peddle out at over 40mph then hit a stupid steep hill needing 1st gear in some cases where even that won't get me up! I ride the lanes with 6" pot holes, rivers of field flooding pouring down the road with gravel in it, moss and grass growing down the middle, 2" of mud from the farms, cow crap etc etc. I also like to hit the odd steep grass enbankment and jump off steps and kerbs :mrgreen:

I love the 2x 11 setup as it allows me to find the exact gear that matches my strength at that moment using the very fine increments in gears. Big ring most of the time with 11 gears to use, hit a hill, drop into the granny gear with another 11 speeds to use. Coming to a junction, with one push, drop to the granny gear only and I have a perfect gear to stop and pull away in. I've never had a chain drop, my dropper seat lever has never been in the way and the cockpit is not cramped (even with a bell, computer and big light). I don't find gear changing an issue and both derailleurs have never given me a single bit of problems. In short I LOVE MY X2!

I guess you know whats coming? Over the years I have kept an eye on what is new in MTB, not that I'm looking to buy, just interested. To my astonishment, the 1x system has white washed the whole of MTB, I can't find one bike brand that still offer a 2x. I've read many forum threads about the demise of 2x and how it's never coming back! The odd guy that does say he needs a 2x gets slammed by just about everybody in the thread. They say stuff like, 1x works for me, so it must work for you and tons of other stupid stuff.

So I'm personally very sad about the total domination of 1x as the type of riding I do very much does need the range a 2x offers, and yes, I do use the whole range on every single ride (maybe not 1st every time). As I said above, I can spin out at over 40mph and crawl up a steep hill at 2mph all in the same ride.

It saddens me that my Cube 2x will be the last new bike I'll ever buy and I'll never be able to chill out in a bike shop and drool over the latest 'country lane basher beast' because none of the bikes on offer will ever be offered in the gear type that suits my style of riding perfectly :cry:

I don't want to choose between top speed or slow speed and I don't want large steps between gears. I also don't want to 'get stronger' so I can cope with the gear steps, nor do I want to over spin when tackling a long steep hill cos the next gear up to too much for me! Personally I feel 1x is perfect for the bike parks and down hill, but for general riding, it can't be as good surly.

Am I the odd one out or the only rider left in the world that still loves 2x?
ScotRoutes

Re: Come back 2x, all is forgiven!

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have 6 bikes and the only one that isn't 2x is a Singlespeed
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I did love my 2x.. as did I my 3x before that. But when I tried the 1x which I thought I'd hate, I was able to get the gears I wanted with one less thing to clog up or wash..
I am refining my current 2x road bike into gravel though and I get where you're coming from... How do them folks ride that 2x sillyness. I'll be sticking firmly to my 2x (on the gravel bike) and I'll be sticking firmly to my 1x (on my mtb). My 2x is gonna be vaguely exciting though - (maybe I'm currently a bit sleep deprived and my words are coming out like I'm stoned or whatnot - and it'll God Willing have a 50 x 12 big gear which I'll probably find very hard to spin out on... and a 34 x 40 asy granny and big sprocket respectively. Am hoping its gonna be marvellously ace and I can just imagine feeling that feeling that you just said you feel when you're feeling it...

Tis gonna be lovely and thanks for your post. Dont think anyone here will whine about you wanting 2x and most will probably wanna join your club and give you a covid friendly hug (whatever one of them is)...

Sorry about STW (just guessing) :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Welcome to the forum :-bd You'll find lots of sanity here (well except for Reg, he's just weird. I mean I think he's still on 26" wheels :wink: )

Unlike Colin (Scotroutes) I've five bikes and only the road bike has a front derailleur. I did have six bikes, that was a singlespeed. So you could say I'm a 1x fanboi and I don't do bike parks or trail centres, mostly big rides in the Dales, Wales and Scotland.

However I understand exactly where you are coming from with the lack of 2x compatible frames. I don't think it's come about because designers/manufacturers want you to go 1x but because 1x gives them latitude to remove compromises in design. Things like wider tyres and shorter chainstays whilst keeping a narrow q-factor on the crankset, all seen as desirable in the current market.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Reg? 26” with tubes :shock: and loads of chainrings!!!! No wonder he has to take trains everywhere :wink:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hah!

I'm not sure I could manage with only 2 rings :smile: .

All this rubbish about a one true ring - sounds like we've ridden into a Tolkein story :grin: .

Oh, they forgot to mention I'm cold hard steel as well, forged deep in the furnaces of blinding hot stars. Or something. One reason I've not wasted money on a new bike is this one will outlast me!

What they haven't twigged after all these years in Here is that this is a bikepacking asylum - and the bike has absolutely nothing to do with it :wink: :lol: .

Welcome to the madhouse by the way :-bd
Last edited by RIP on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

Am I the odd one out or the only rider left in the world that still loves 2x?
No, I still love chainrings and Shimano FDs. 1x is primarily about chain retention which I don't need at the moment. I used to ride 1x around 1998-99 when I had a large size jump/4X bike I used for a mix of 4X, local DH and XC. I wanted the chain to stay on and had 1x8 with as wide a range as I could get on a bike I could get uphill.
Now, clutch mechs give me enough chain retention for the rigid MTB and gravel bikes I ride to still use 2 rings (2x on road is a given). If I lived somewhere that justified an enduro-style FS bike I'd be 1) very happy 2) using 1x for max chain retention.

Thankfully we mostly have the choice. I think what would be tricky is what you're hinting at, buying an XC FS bike now I'd want 2x for long days out but so many are 1x specific. If that was the case on a bike that was otherwise right I'd go SRAM 1x12 at least on the cassette, to get the long life they have a good rep for. ie, 1x wouldn't put me off the bike. I just might wince at the chain line at times in winter conditions..

"Welcome to where time stands still, no-one leaves and no-one will
Moon is full, never seems to change, just labeled mentally deranged" - for Reg, the madhouse and 3x :grin:
Mike

Post by Mike »

2 x 10 on my hardtail
3 x 9 on my gravel bike ( still the best range out there in my eyes )
1 x on the suss because its how it came.

3 x 9 on my 26" R8

:-bd
Al

Post by Al »

I live in south Shropshire - ran 1x on most bikes when we moved here. Everything has now been moved back to 2x10 for the reasons you describe and the price of replacement cassettes.
I really love thumb shifters too, but that’s another story....
FLV

Post by FLV »

Not keen on front mechs personally.

Glad to see the back of them.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dnt think i have ever had a front mech fail on me so not sure why one would dislike them

I am somewhere between the two - bike packing bikes are 2x others are not
so 2 of each and a single speed[ which is 26" as is the FS
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As the OP might have guessed- we are madder than a box of frogs :lol:

There’s really no one right answer or solution, what works for you is right for you. Well apart from singlespeed which as everyone knows is the one true way. :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Quite happy with 2x11 but notice 11 speed chains are getting harder to find at a reasonable price. If I see one in a sale I usually buy it. Shimano seems to have rebranded (downgraded) 11 speed as e-bike.

The one good thing on the Fargo was the 2x10 SRAM drive chain. I did consider it for the Stooge build but as they have rebranded everything and like Shimano steer you towards 12 speed I stuck with what was easily available at the time and recognisable.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
jameso

Post by jameso »

w/o wanting to get into the kind of pro-con debate that wheel size, FDs or E-bikes can produce... I can see why some don't like FDs. Mud traps. Not that easy to set up well. Chain-drops and chain sucks when shifting if worn or not in adjustment. But 1x has it's own set of drawbacks imo/ime - it's just a case of making the compromises work for you.
ton

Post by ton »

i too love 2X and 3X, but cycling is fashion led, so much more now than ever before.

my present bikes are,
tourer, 3 X 9
erc 1 X 11
mtb 1 X 12

the latter 2 are how they came from the shop. the 1st i built.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mariner wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:17 am Shimano seems to have rebranded (downgraded) 11 speed as e-bike.
I thought e-bike chains were stronger than normal chains? So I look at that as an upgrade?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I don't think I've got anything still running a 3x but several 2x and 1x (no singlespeeds, what kind of weirdo do you think I am :???:). What each bike runs is more likely related to what I can get hold of or is in the spares box than the current trend. Plus, I am a weak rider and did a lot of stuff for many years on really rocky trails where a bash-ring was the best thing to bolt to the outer chainset tabs so loosing the biggest ring was not issue / became my default set-up.

Personally I like the simplicity of 1x (don't look at the Gryphon Gearing thread :wink:), particularly on MTBs and the general ease of set-up but accept the gear ranges can be a bit limiting at times. However, I don't mind spinning out downhill or jumping off to push up (it's the engine not the gears that usually makes that happen!).

I suspect the industry is just following it's own flow at the moment and they're using the convenience of 1x to avoid a bunch of compromises / awkward bits in design and/or use the advantages 1x gives as Jameso has mentioned. I'm not convinced it'll stick, permanently, on 1x. Look at PF BBs, flappy lever paddle Shimano shifters etc. Some things don't work or get a bad rep (deservedly or not) and get dropped (mostly).
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:11 am As the OP might have guessed- we are madder than a box of frogs :lol:

There’s really no one right answer or solution, what works for you is right for you. Well apart from singlespeed which as everyone knows is the one true way. :-bd
I've got a confession to make.... When I rode up to the top of the Maccynleth climb, and saw the newt... that was a bewt. Well, on the way back down, I tried my best not to. But they kept trying to cross the road and I got worried they were getting trampled and squashed by cars.

Well, I stole (well, I was looking at it as rehousing to our back yard swimming pool which looks like a pond) 3 frogs... Or were they toads :o Got told off by the kids after the first night cos as soon as the dark came they managed to jump out and was gone into the surroundings.

:sad: I'm very 'ashemd' and the kids were of me too :sad:

Don't think he was one of em but he did kinda make me do it :shock: sorry Wales
faustus

Post by faustus »

Common Toad. Definitely best left in Wales!
redefined_cycles

faustus wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:38 am Common Toad. Definitely best left in Wales!
Yes... I'll never ever do it again. Learnt my lesson. At least they were organised and are happily jumping away in one of the back gardens behind my house :roll:

If I wasn't on a 2x then maybe would never been able to climb that hill and spot em trying to cross the road :smile:
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Having gone from 3x to 1x to 2x I’m now back on 1x

It’s not actually because I think 1x is better, I just prefer it when in use.

Gravel bike went from 2x to 1x
Full suspension went from 2x to 1x

Was chatting with Scotroutes about this on Saturday, he doesn’t get 1x and I don’t get 2x. The important thing really is to not GAF and ride what you like.
faustus

Post by faustus »

As has been put succinctly above, it's a lot about (personal) choice of compromises for the type of riding you do. I've got used to 1 x on all my bikes, and part of it is adjusting to a particular set-up. The gravel bike will be used more on the road in the winter, so may well revert back to 2x11...but maybe not as I do love the simplicity!
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Hi,

Thanks for all the good posts :-bd

I would agree that 1x is a good thing, IF it were a choice, but it's not!

If I wanted to buy a new (quality) trail bike today, there is not one 2x or 3x on the market from any shop or brand I can find in the UK. This is my real problem.

So if 2x and 3x have been dropped, how long will the 2x spares be available for and would I be able to buy a 29er 2x frame if my carbon one ever dies?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

1x12 is perfect for me off-road but when I hit tarmac I want closer gears, oh gawd you’re set me off again x(
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sunbeam wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:46 pm If I wanted to buy a new (quality) trail bike today, there is not one 2x or 3x on the market from any shop or brand I can find in the UK. This is my real problem.

So if 2x and 3x have been dropped, how long will the 2x spares be available for and would I be able to buy a 29er 2x frame if my carbon one ever dies?
You're just getting into building a bike from a frame up rather than off the peg specs. FDs will be with us for some time yet, really. Shimano's side-swing MTB mechs are superb and the Europeans still use FDs more than we do. Brands are simply offering completes with a spec they see as most likely to sell.