Water wheels

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Water wheels

Post by BigdummySteve »

After my weekend trip I distinctly heard sloshing from the rear wheel, I assumed it was from the liberal amount of sealant I’d poured in (it was near the end of the bottle so it got the extra) but when I removed the tyre to swap it it was still there in the rim.
The only way I could remove it was to take out the valve, now I’d had a river crossing and it was VERY wet in the night but that’s not an unusual combination.
I can imagine this may cause a problem long term but what can I do?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
pistonbroke

Re: Water wheels

Post by pistonbroke »

Not wishing to add to your woes but are the fancy nipples you built them with aluminium? If so the water will corrode them and cause failure. I saw a lot of this when PX were selling deep section carbon rims when I worked there, the fix was to swap to brass nipples. I've seen tiny holes drilled in the rim to let the water out, it seems to get in by running down the spoke, but this would probably invalidate your warranty.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Not unusual if you submerge a rim, although I can get away with a very wet (road) ride without water ingress if it's just failing from the sky not fording giant puddles.

Ditto, had to take valve out to get water out.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 am Not wishing to add to your woes but are the fancy nipples you built them with aluminium? If so the water will corrode them and cause failure. I saw a lot of this when PX were selling deep section carbon rims when I worked there, the fix was to swap to brass nipples. I've seen tiny holes drilled in the rim to let the water out, it seems to get in by running down the spoke, but this would probably invalidate your warranty.
Yes they were Duncan, hence my concern, i did use ACF50 to lubricate the nipples and spokes during building which will help?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark