Very minimal tarp tents

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Very minimal tarp tents

Post by jameso »

If I was looking for the lightest, smallest-pack and simplest tarp tent, what should be on the shortlist?

I'm thinking no midge net, single pole or better, no pole and upright bike supported, no need to be truly storm-proof. Just a good rain shelter at the weight of a proper mountain bivi bag. I like the bearpaw lair shape/type or similar with just one open side.
I might be shocked at the price but I'm starting to think the number of ropey urban bivis I've had means I could actually justify something like this.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... nt-aeon-li

This looks good at ~450g. 350g would be better... What would be smaller, lighter, similar shape - anything better than a Lair in dyneema at ~220g?
thenorthwind

Re: Very minimal tarp tents

Post by thenorthwind »

SMD Gatewood Cape?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd second the Gatewood cape. New version is (just) sub 300g, packs to very little, can be erected very quickly, not too spendy and offers complete coverage ... really, there's nothing not to like.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thirded. Did my first night in mine last night in a monsoon. So simple to set up and tons of space
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I'm sure someone will be along with a different recommendation eventually. But not me. Another Gatewood Cape fan here!
May satan walk with you
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I don't even have one! For the sake of an alternative (albeit still SMD): consider a Lunar Solo since you can use it in more or less the same way (unzip it and roll the door up and it's basically a tarp) and you get the option of a tent too, and it's still only 700g.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Gate wood here too , packs down to very little and then you can scrunch it a bit more to make it tiny
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

There’s the z-packs pocket tarp with doors @ 172g
Unlikely to pack particularly small however and expensive.

https://zpacks.com/products/hexamid-pocket-tarp-w-doors

I opted for another 250ish grams and got a floor and net door, again eye wateringly expensive but it does stop me being eaten.

Actually the aeon makes Z-Plack look almost reasonable :shock:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

James, your local to me, if you want to borrow my Altaplex for a night give me a shout, I’m only up in Banbury.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

This thread is doing an excellent job of making me regret buying a Lanshan 1...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Another vote for the Lunar Solo, midge net and sewn in bathtub base, crushes down small.
The extra weight is for these added 2 luxuries.

Or I've just take my bivi bag or Cuban tarp.......

I don't want a Gatewood Cape, I don't want a Gatewood Cape, I don't want a Gatewood Cape, I don't want a Gatewood Cape, I don't want a Gatewood Cape, I don't want a Gatewood Cape, I don't want a Gatewood Cape, :ugeek:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

trekker stealthe and you get an inner tent
its 570 combined and then 340 for just the outer.

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/3-stealth.html

You can get two under it used just as a tarp[its tight but dooable] - if you have the zip at the back and pitch lower[ I do ]this gives more room but less height
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:42 pm trekker stealthe and you get an inner tent
its 570 combined and then 340 for just the outer.

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/3-stealth.html

You can get two under it used just as a tarp[its tight but dooable] - if you have the zip at the back and pitch lower[ I do ]this gives more room but less height
Don't forget to factor in the waiting time which I won't go into too much. I managed to finally get one off BumpyJonas off here...

I have an orange The Knot which might fulfill your needs. About 300g. Bought off Stu in one of his famous clearouts but then the Stealth came along...

Happy if you wanted to just try before deciding if thats any help :smile:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Landslide wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:28 pm This thread is doing an excellent job of making me regret buying a Lanshan 1...
What an amazing tarp... well done...

(Did I help or hinder :-bd )...

Sorry about the Lanshan :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

I knew this post would come up with the goods :-bd
I'd seen the Gatewood cape before but this is an area of kit I seem to have no memory for somehow. Thanks for the reminder. Can you ride while wearing it? It's a great idea.

But
There’s the z-packs pocket tarp with doors @ 172g

:shock: That might be it. I want this for superlight road tours as much as anything. The MTB carries more with less fuss and the larger 300g tarp I have pitched under trees does the job pretty well.
jameso

Post by jameso »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:43 pm James, your local to me, if you want to borrow my Altaplex for a night give me a shout, I’m only up in Banbury.
Thanks Steve, that's a kind offer. If there's a local ride happening and you brought it along it'd be good to have a look at it, though it's a bit bigger / more luxurious than I've got in mind here. Have you seen the pocket tarp you mentioned pitched? I'm a bit over 6' so that's one concern but it looks long enough.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had a ZPacks pocket tarp James. Nothing wrong with it and very light but didn't offer the same space or protection of the Gatewood as the front is completely open.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

jameso wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:05 am . Have you seen the pocket tarp you mentioned pitched? I'm a bit over 6' so that's one concern but it looks long enough.
Not seen one pitched but there’s a video here, the bloke is 6’

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IGM4A6mxeec

JackT

Post by JackT »

Much love for the Gatewood Cape. My question re that and the others recommended here is how they compare to the experience of being inside a Terra Nova Laser Comp 1, which I find to be a bit of a nylon coffin and prone to condensation. Are the 1person tarp tents any more spacious?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My question re that and the others recommended here is how they compare to the experience of being inside a Terra Nova Laser Comp 1, which I find to be a bit of a nylon coffin and prone to condensation. Are the 1person tarp tents any more spacious?
Generally there's more room in them Jack and most folk can sit up okay. Condensation is usually no more of an issue than anything else and the amount will often be dictated by conditions and use. In the case of the Gatewood, I'll always leave the top vent open (unless it's raining) and sleep with one door open (even if it is raining).

I often think that those coming to something like a Gatewood from the direction of flat tarps will think it's a palace. Those coming from a tent might think it basic or spartan.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 am I often think that those coming to something like a Gatewood from the direction of flat tarps will think it's a palace.
That's what's stopping me getting one. I'd be getting ideas above my station :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I've seen Zippy and Chickenlegs with Zpacks shells...no base or nets. I've been looking at one myself to keep the water off and using the Kestrel to keep the bugs out. Lots of space inside without the weight penalty of heavy DCF used on the bathtub. Heh...heavy DCF. /me facepalms self

Greetz

S.
JackT

Post by JackT »

Thanks Stu. I tend to tarp and alternate between a Trailstar (palatial but bulky & requires a large area to pitch) and a Rab Siltarp 1 (a bit Spartan if I'm being honest). I used the Laser Comp when I was up North for extended trips and wanted more protection. Hence the interest in something Goldilocks would consider "just right".
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:20 am I had a ZPacks pocket tarp James. Nothing wrong with it and very light but didn't offer the same space or protection of the Gatewood as the front is completely open.
My bearpaw is open also, it's OK - if it's really wet I'd look to use trees for additional shelter. It was this one that appealed at 170g though, has a protected front in a similar way as the Gatewood poncho - https://zpacks.com/products/hexamid-pocket-tarp-w-doors
Would add a pole to the packed weight of either but it's still impressive to get it down to under 200g for the shelter itself w/o pole
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It was this one that appealed at 170g though, has a protected front in a similar way as the Gatewood poncho -
I hadn't seen the version with the door James. I wonder what condensation would be like with no apex vent*?

*from what I can see.