who rides Ti ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

larsmars

Re: who rides Ti ?

Post by larsmars »

Another Ti tart here:
* Custom Jeronimo Rasputin, lovely ride -- albeit a bit flexy
* Kinesis Tripster V1 -- sadly cracked upper end of the down tube back in May :cry:

I bought both 2nd hand, as I am too tight to buy a brand new Ti frame.

I do love the ride quality and the look & feel. And assuming it doesn't crack, a Ti frame can last for many years. And hopefully this can help balance out the greater carbon emissions resulting from the production of 3Al2.5V. The production of as Ti frame contributes ~7 times the carbon emissions of that of a chromoly frame. Or so says these guys:

https://olsenbicycles.com/bicycle-footprints

But then again, it's still far better than a car!
Mart

Post by Mart »

hello - another Ti rider here
I’ve got a Singular Pegasus Mk2 (i believe that’s an important number)

The Mk1’s were Italian made i believe and had problems with cracking
Mk2 made elsewhere (don’t know where) has been very good for me. I got the frame second hand from Singular Sam. and ridden for 4 years by me. I believe it had been raced prior to me having it.
Rides beautifully and the geometry/build was the same as offered again recently.

Like Sean, I have shiny bits on the frame from bag straps but not bothered about a pristine frame. They show me what it’s been through
2924 miles per Gallon
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

So tube preparation and finish is very important prior to welding, mitre fits need to be much tighter than for steel
This! So, so important

I have UK built Ted James Ti frame and spoke to him loads during the build and have loads of build photos. The mitres are so tight it’s was incredible, he also showed pictures of weld penetration and little tube discolouration as the weld heat was properly contained.

I also have a Seven cycles and they know there trade and have many 20+ year frames still being ridden for the same reasons as above.

Lynskey get a bad rap and maybe it’s just due to volume. But I had one of the first 5 Ti456 in the country when they just started up and the quality was fantastic. There used to be photo of a snapped chain/seat stay if a Ti456 that always did the rounds on STW but the rider had a 200mm rear disc rotor on (when 160mm was the norm) and sounded like a brute of a rider. I sold my Ti456 and it’s still being ridden even though it had 10 years of Peaks riding week in week out
Last edited by polarcherry on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

larsmars wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:39 pm
https://olsenbicycles.com/bicycle-footprints

But then again, it's still far better than a car!
Thanks for this Lars. Currently am sat here knackered after a night shift on Sunday with 39.8 miles cycle-commute. Then in the morning after a decent breakfast I attempted the 39.8 miles back, of which the winds came at about 1030 (been cycling over 2 hours) so I took plan b and got the train at mile 25. Got home and then put (it's a steel, used) bike in the car and took it to the garage for brake failure repair. Rode back the 9 miles or so and was appropriately knackered.

Taken today recovering but the Olsen-guy (it's not a JamesO relation is it?) has really cheered me up and I'm raring/rearing (whatever) to go to Thursdays night shift. Won't have a time limit on the commute back so hopefully ride the full way and get in bed.

Ton(y), if I was you I'd just go for a nice used carbon frame. They're very very comfortable as long as you get one from the right makers who've dialled some nice give into the frame(set). Either that or get a top end used steel frame from one of the master-builders of the world... Maybe a nice IndyFab or similar and I doubt you'll regret. My ti-aspirations ended after looking into it and the amount of failures (even with Lynsky) and the whole point IMO is to get a steel-feel but without the downsides (weight, corrosion). They're negligible, so, carbon or steel would be my vote (if it was a vote)... and the article on footprints just pushes me to that conclusion that little bit more :-bd

Go save a steel or carbon frameset :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:56 pm My ti-aspirations ended after looking into it and the amount of failures (even with Lynsky)
LOL. Lynskey have a reputation in the Ti world.
Not a good one.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:05 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:56 pm My ti-aspirations ended after looking into it and the amount of failures (even with Lynsky)
Not a good one.
heehee... I know... BUt they did (claim to be the) pioneer ti frames. Whats the name of the Russian builders who you bought yours from Colin (Ton might wanna investigate em)... :smile:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My ti-aspirations ended after looking into it and the amount of failures (even with Lynsky)
Its just internt selection bias
Not many threads or blog posts on my frame is 15 years old and still not broken etc
Secondly there is no material that wont break so I am not sure what good it does to do this - except perhaps to avoid those with a poor reputation for either frames or customer services

Take your boots how many threads do you think there are on my boots are 5 years old and still great V ones like yours*? We all complain more than we praise

*not a dig at you to be clear - I am sure I have done the same
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:45 pm
My ti-aspirations ended after looking into it and the amount of failures (even with Lynsky)
Its just internt selection bias
Not many threads or blog posts on my frame is 15 years old and still not broken etc
Secondly there is no material that wont break so I am not sure what good it does to do this - except perhaps to avoid those with a poor reputation for either frames or customer services

Take your boots how many threads do you think there are on my boots are 5 years old and still great V ones like yours*? We all complain more than we praise

*not a dig at you to be clear - I am sure I have done the same
Totally agreed. My personal reasoning was/is the cost effectiveness and long term ownership.When/if my carbon frame fractures I'll try and repair myself and if the steel one then a local place can easily put a few welds on (and did do on my steel Orange Clockwork/MuddyFox) for a few quid. Would love to try one one day though just to tick a box...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Talking about titanium...
https://huhncycles.com/MOORHUHN-129-TI

"The Moorhuhn is a 129mm travel 29er designed to be agile, playful, and "cut corners like a chicken does." "

Not sure sure I want to cut corners like a chicken...

Writing this, my ti fatbike is waiting in the cellar for some fun in the snow. Frame has not cracked.
jameso

Post by jameso »

it's not a JamesO relation is it?
No, though there aren't that many Olsens in the UK so that 2 of us are bike nerd product guys is fun, and he's a SSer too. I think he takes the nerd award over me though, I mean that in a good way - impressive stuff he's doing there.

Talking of impressive stuff... that Moorhun looks to have a similar tube junction as Tom Sturdy's bikes. I met Tom a while back and he's a really nice guy, very unassuming. His bikes, the process and his ability and methods, are incredible. There's a good feature on him on the Radavist home page now.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I’ve had two. Mostly out of curiosity.
First was stolen before I had much riding on it. The replacement is OK, but nothing special. It’s no lighter than Alu, and I’ve not detected any magic ride quality. Even less to be gained in a FS bike, where alloy performs at least as good and better value.
At present, I can’t think of a reason why I’d buy another Ti frame.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I dont have one just now, generally I like Ti frames and am a bit of a shiny stuff magnet. But, I have been suckered into the 'value' and of Ti a couple of times now and wont go there again.

My personal experience is that the lower end Ti frames suffer from poorer quality ( or simply lower specs, and are manufactured to within the required quality spec) so aren't always up to scratch for me.*

Like I say, personal experience but I'm no longer a fan of the bottom end Ti frames built to a lower cost. I'd rather a higher end steel bike.

*I would add, I also feel the same about other materials.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Purely for ride quality, i love skinny steel, but my "nice" bike is a Reilly Gradient ti gravel bike, chose it over the Mason Bokeh i was eyeing up, purely because it was going to be used for a few events like TNR, and i knew that i could attach bags to frame and not have to worry about paintwork, and have been very happy with it, rides lovely.
ton

Post by ton »

just wondering, easiest way to keep Ti looking tip top ?

are Ti frames clear laquered ?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ton wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:21 pm just wondering, easiest way to keep Ti looking tip top ?

are Ti frames clear laquered ?
The only thing to "worry" about is bag rubbing making it a matte finish. Even then it will polish back if you can be bothered.

Used Ti develops patina like a classic car or your fave jeans, doesn't need to be looked after. I think that's its greatest trait, moreover than any Ti Zing nonsense.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mine's not. I just wash it off and it comes up like new. It's got a light brushed finish so it's sort of matt. It gets polished up by the straps of my frame bag so I use a non-stick scouring pad very lightly with water to restore the finish if I'm going to use it for any length of time without the bag.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

No clearcoat.

Ive been known to give my Ti frames a little polish with Brasso wadding once every year or so. Gives it a nice lustre.

Depends on how the Ti has been finished though.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Brushed finish easily re done with wire wool and WD40 although ti does acquire a nice patina.
I only do mine once a year as any shinny bits caused by bags and harnesses will be covered up again when fitted.
I fitted Helicopter tape on my first frame but didn't bother on this one.
It either looks clean or dull and you never have to fret about paint chips.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:05 pm
Not a good one.
Ironically my first Ti frame (which I snapped the chainstay on) got repaired in a Lynskey welder’s garage when I was over in the US. They do good repairs at least!
ton

Post by ton »

is there a good/bad list of Ti builders ?

or a certain type of Ti tubing that is know as the best ?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Most of them are made in factories in the far east now Tony and the quality's a lot more uniform than when it was Lynskey or Van Nicholas doing it in workshops, and generally very high from what I know - did a bit of noseying around it before I bought my new frame a few months ago.

A lot of "builders" actually use Waltly, others (eg Travers) use Titan. Planet X and Reilly are built in Vietnam somewhere.
Kinesis are Korean but I think they outsource the Ti to China too now so probably one of those already mentioned.
Van Nicholas - China, Ribble - Taiwan.
FLV

Post by FLV »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:05 am
A lot of "builders" actually use Waltly, others (eg Travers) use Titan. Planet X and Reilly are built in Vietnam somewhere.
Kinesis are Korean but I think they outsource the Ti to China too now so probably one of those already mentioned.
Van Nicholas - China, Ribble - Taiwan.
I'd love a look round some of these of factories. Personally ive seen a variety of quality of workmanship from at least one of these manufacturers (waltly) that makes me think theres a variation in quality of machine / manufacturing cell or set up or just control.

Im not trying to bash anyone or anything, but personally I'd advise looking into common problems with a brands chosen maker before splashing my cash. After my last issue I didn't convince myself another was worth the outlay.

Just my 2p
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'd love a look round some of these of factories. Personally ive seen a variety of quality of workmanship from at least one of these manufacturers (waltly) that makes me think theres a variation in quality of machine / manufacturing cell or set up or just control.

Im not trying to bash anyone or anything, but personally I'd advise looking into common problems with a brands chosen maker before splashing my cash. After my last issue I didn't convince myself another was worth the outlay.
I'd say that's the point, more so than anything else. Factories with variable QC levels may simply be badly managed in that area at that time. Staff turnover is one thing that should ring alarm bells when you visit a factory a few times.

Most factories are capable of doing a good job but doing it consistently across the range of designs they make - some sound, some seemingly having problems designed in - it's no suprise that materials like Ti and carbon show up the range of quality even within just one factory's output.

Edit to add. Blaming QC can be an easy way out for a brand. I remember an MTB brand that had really high failure rates and they blamed the factory quite publicly. I went to the factory in Taiwan to do some work on a Genesis bike sample, working with the engineer there (was a FS bike and I needed the help of someone who knew what they were doing in that area). He showed me round a few projects and test jigs etc, including a frame from that brand, said it couldn't be made well, but they insisted. He explained why they kept breaking and it all seemed quite logical, said it was clear from sample frame/design stage onward and that they kept ordering them because the basic design couldn't be changed. Felt bad for him as his team were the scapegoat for a brand that thought they were smarter than the guys who have all that production experience. I don't know for sure why those frames broke but they way it was resolved a year or 2 later suggested the factory engineer was correct.
Last edited by jameso on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ton

Post by ton »

are there any American built Ti frames ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Well, Lynskey, but "not even with your bargepole".

And there's Black Sheep - frames start at $3,500.