Ultimate full suss do it all

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Re: Ultimate full suss do it all

Post by Leerowe76 »

99percentchimp wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:57 pm Same here... thinking of a 120mm travel bike that will take either bottles or a frame bag (of some use). SC Tallboy was in my list too but I’ll have a look at Colin’s Orbea recommendation and the Scott Spark/Salsa Bikes too. Son seems to have commandeered my secondhand Whyte too; so I have an excuse to look for something.
Specialized epic comp jumping into mind now, Scott spark is a great bike but only room for 1 bottle Salsa Spearfish is tasty too.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Shewie wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 pm James Hayden seems happy with his new Canyon Neuron ..

https://youtu.be/NRAz6NP9_N4
Love the fact he went with Shimano too, Sram being like butter an all. Thats another thing most munfacturers are chucking Sram on everything these days, I would of purchased by now if that wasn't the case I'm sure
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Quite liking my orbea oiz tr.

The tr means 120 travel front and rear, so not especially racey. Mines been good for 160km and summer bike packing duties

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JESiLuP9EWaDB5hV9
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

fatbikerbill wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:20 pm Quite liking my orbea oiz tr.

The tr means 120 travel front and rear, so not especially racey. Mines been good for 160km and summer bike packing duties

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JESiLuP9EWaDB5hV9
Looks nice mate
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Maybe slightly more travel than you first mentioned but a salsa just popped up in the classifieds looks pretty good.

And what the hell, 20mm extra travel will mean a 20m wider grin.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ibis Ripley V4.

Best 100 – 130 mm bike I've ever ridden. Haven't ridden any such bikes of the 2020/2021 crop, but quite a few of 2016 – 2019 and wow…
Unfair comparison though, since mine is built and tweaked (components, damping and geo) to my personal and specific likings, but the platform Ibis produced is truly amazing. I could go into details, but will just let this stand for now.

Give it a try, I bet you'll buy one, once tested. It's so good.

Much more versatile and in many area capable than the Kona HeiHei DL (2017) it replaced. The Kona should have been the faster bike on paper, but nope. Ibis does everything better.
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

Second the Ibis Ripley, love it but I use it as my trail bike, would love to know the build spec of yours Alpinium.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Alh14 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:06 pm Second the Ibis Ripley, love it but I use it as my trail bike, would love to know the build spec of yours Alpinium.
Frame size L, self 182 cm with ape like arms and short torso.
50 mm stem,
flattish 760 mm bars,
Eagle X01/GX mix (seeing how much better the XX1 of my other bike works after same amount of use, I'll invest in a X01 rear mech sometime),
old X01 cranks,
tuned 34 Fox with 130 mm,
Rear Fox shock with full compression damping (it's so active, I'm really glad I went with the Factory shock),
180 mm OneUp dropper,
SLR TT saddle,
Nukeproof SPDs (just because I only have broken XT and XTR trail pedals in the cellar which I usually/mostly ride with such a bike)
32 t chainring,
30 mm IW Lightbicycle rims, 28 spokes, DT 350,
XT brakes with Swissstop e-bike pads and 200/180 mm Formula rotors and
-2 ° angleset (I've not ridden it in its original HA setting, but know from other bikes how big and what kind of a difference it makes - yet it's definately not for everyone).

If I currently had to have only one full suss trailbike it would be this one, since I live in the Emmental and not in the middle of the Alps.
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

Nice, I’ve upgraded my NX to XT and got some blueflow carbon wheels on the way :-bd
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

After a couple of years drooling over new bikes Ive taken delivery of a new trek top fuel and its had its first taste of whats in store for it - poor creature- with two nights out on the amazing byways and bridleways of Dorset. Really pleased with it. Last night I ragged it round the Teign valley near Drogo - again it was superb. I had an offer on a new 2016 Carbon model of the top fuel 9.8 at a good price but went for the newer slacker aluminium frame. Looked at Colin's suggestion of the oiz but couldn't find one anywhere but that would have been a strong contender for me. Plotting some post stalking options in scotland if travel, social/covid obligations and weather allows.