A new(ish) frame bag company to consider

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

A new(ish) frame bag company to consider

Post by JohnClimber »

As Covid19 limits the enjoyment of going to the pub for a pre bivi meal or a cafe for a breakfast and lunch stop I've come to realise that it's time that I go for a for a full frame bag, this "need" has turned in to 2 full frame bags one for the Fat bike and one for the 29er+

As Wildcat have yet to come back on track with their custom frame bags, and I feel that I need one for The WRT I've had to look around and after many emails to lots of companies out there I've decided to go with two brothers Mathew and Mickey Wong working out of Amsterdam with their small company Custom Merit Gear https://www.custommeritgear.com/

After several emails I was asked to send over a picture of my bike with a tape measure up against it Image

The they sent me back the following
I was asked to double checked the measurements which were spot on.

Much quicker than posting over a cardboard cut out covered in writing.

I've chosen to go for roll top bags like these with a few tweeks, different fastenings, a zip pocket on the other side, a pump/pole holder fixed in the top of the bag, hydration ports and we are looking at a movable floor to go above the bladder, with a red colour for the red 29er+ and in blue to match the Fat bike.

Here are some pre production pictures sent over today

As and when new pictures come out I'll post them up on this thread and will show them on the bikes before The WRT as I won't be able to show you them at Bear Bones Towers this year.
FLV

Re: A new(ish) frame bag company to consider

Post by FLV »

They look very smart, look forward to seeimg them finished
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

FLV wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:36 am They look very smart, look forward to seeimg them finished
Me too
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:20 pm
FLV wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:36 am They look very smart, look forward to seeimg them finished
Me too
Me 3
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

They look lovely John!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Coming together, some nice stitching (in the photos)

That looks to be the the pocket side done, next I guess is the roll top side
redefined_cycles

Am a bit confused (not alot... just a bit). If its got a roll top closure then why the zips which seem to be high enough to be wanting to give access from the top section. You see I always assumed, but never knew for sure, that the roll top was such that it increases proper waterproofing!! Or have I I missed the point.

How much is it setting you back please John and was there a specific reason for giving the local folks (like Straightcut Design and others a few others that offer a proper custom service other than AK). Just wondering as I've been in the market to upgrade my Wildcat for a little while but don't wanna end up with an expensive but sagging bag.

NB. Can't wait to see the final product... does seem quality
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:57 pm Am a bit confused (not alot... just a bit). If its got a roll top closure then why the zips which seem to be high enough to be wanting to give access from the top section. You see I always assumed, but never knew for sure, that the roll top was such that it increases proper waterproofing!! Or have I I missed the point.

How much is it setting you back please John and was there a specific reason for giving the local folks (like Straightcut Design and others a few others that offer a proper custom service other than AK). Just wondering as I've been in the market to upgrade my Wildcat for a little while but don't wanna end up with an expensive but sagging bag.

NB. Can't wait to see the final product... does seem quality
The zip is on the left hand side (I think) for a thin no load bearing pocket for small and thin bits and pieces.
The roll top is for waterproofing for the main pocket but mainly not to split open the zip when on the trail, so that when a bulky load is put inside it isn't putting any extra pressure on to the zip, I've (and others) have had these zips bust open in the past.

They aren't the cheapest at €179,99 for a complete custom but they do have the items, materials and colours that I wanted.
Strqaightcut came back to me saying that they weren't taking custom orders, only to come back to me a few days later once I'd ordered mine from Custom Merit Design to say that they now could make it/them.
Alpkit couldn't guarantee the bag in time, as they took their time to come back to me and when they did they said that there would be a 3 week build queue once they received the cardboard cut out.
Others couldn't do it in time and the ones who could I didn't like them as much as these lads bags.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Jon... yes, the zipper is a pain. I managed to uograde the zipper on my Wildcat (well used, me 2nd owner) with the Revelate equivalent (YKK heavy duty plastic teeth which is meant to handle stresses better.

You'll be glad to know that your lads are us8ng the very same zipper that I'm on about. In use you can actually feel the extra strength of this specific YKK item. So well done them (and you)...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Cheers, that's one of the main reasons that I went with them.
There was no talk of corner cutting it offing a cheaper alternative.
It was all quality parts and materials, that's what you get and that's the price. Take it or leave it.
And they are looking to expand their range with top tube stem bags next.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

The finishing touches are been made this weekend

I hope to get the bags late next week.

Fingers crossed they fit
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

My frame bags have arrived complete with free made to measure platypus protectors

I couldn't have asked for higher quality better made to measure frame bag.

The roll top entry side shot

The attention to detail is amazing

Even the drop to accommodate the cable outlets are spot on

The zip is strong on the left and has a nice cover over the front of it too.
At the top front end the added Molle straps perfectly fit the Alpkit top tub bag straps.
It's also near the nicely overlapped hydration port too.

And the smaller one for my 29er+, showing the roll top entry

And the zipper side

Test ride success

www.custommeritgear.com
redefined_cycles

They look gorgeous. Finally understand why you had 2 lefts showing in an earlier post as I hadn't realised you were having the 2 made... Does the bag not catch on your knees when pedalling
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:24 pm They look gorgeous. Finally understand why you had 2 lefts showing in an earlier post as I hadn't realised you were having the 2 made... Does the bag not catch on your knees when pedalling
No, nowhere near, the fat bike is 100mm BB which helps