gpx analyser

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

gpx analyser

Post by Mariner »

Did I see a gpx analyser that told you how much road, trail and path your route was or did I just think I did?
Had a look at all the gps sites I can find and all they will do is give profiles.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Re: gpx analyser

Post by whitestone »

I think Komoot does it*. Not sure if it's part of the free package or just available to subscribers.

In theory not too hard for any OSM based system to do since that info is present in the base data obviously subject to the accuracies of whoever has added info to those paths and tracks. Also the bridleway info is very much geared towards horses.

*This info comes from a GCN video (promoted by Komoot) where the presenter planned a route and stated: "It's got x percent road, etc."
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yep, Komoot does this. I think it’ll do it even if you’re not paid up. The definitions are a bit US-focused, tricky to interpret and fairly useless IME.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

OpenRouteService does this too, without needing a subscription. Upload your gpx here: https://maps.openrouteservice.org/.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Thanks.
Tried openroute but dont agree with it.
I wonder if it depends on the map used to record it.
In this case omtb_great-britain_31_08_2019?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Strava does it for subscribers. It's not bad as far as I've been able to tell.

Chuck your route up and I'll put it in if you like.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

In Reverse wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:21 pm Strava does it for subscribers. It's not bad as far as I've been able to tell.

I’m finding Strava has a high percentage of unspecified track surface around Devon. Looks like a lot of minor roads aren’t categorised on the base mapping.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Strava is way beyond my ability. :oops:
Can send you a gpx.
composite

Post by composite »

In Reverse wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:21 pm Strava does it for subscribers. It's not bad as far as I've been able to tell.

In my experience the Strava one is terrible. I even plotted a route that was all A/B road to just be the fastest way to get somewhere after work and roughly a third was "unspecified". Honestly the Strava route planner is garbage in the main. The veloviewer plugin is about the only reason to bother using it. Even the USP features aren't that good. I mean global heatmap that includes runs and and walks ffs. I could get into a massive rant about what else it is lacking but I won't.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Having recommended Komoot I might be having second thoughts! Heading along Mastiles Lane this morning and at the ford of Gordale beck I come across a couple on road/hybrid type bikes. Think nothing of it until I stop at Mastiles Gate and have something to eat when they come riding along. Turns out he'd asked Komoot for a "non-adventurous" route and it had sent him along Mastiles - he'd got 32c tyres but his wife had 25c and wasn't happy!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

composite wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 pm

In my experience the Strava one is terrible. I even plotted a route that was all A/B road to just be the fastest way to get somewhere after work and roughly a third was "unspecified". Honestly the Strava route planner is garbage in the main. The veloviewer plugin is about the only reason to bother using it. Even the USP features aren't that good. I mean global heatmap that includes runs and and walks ffs. I could get into a massive rant about what else it is lacking but I won't.
And breathe Neil :lol:

I find the route planner to be the best around by far. Significantly so in fact. The heatmap's superb for going off the beaten track (hello VVE!). You know you can set the heatmap to show either cycling or running/walking right? ie you can separate by activity?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:53 am

I’m finding Strava has a high percentage of unspecified track surface around Devon. Looks like a lot of minor roads aren’t categorised on the base mapping.
Sounds like some areas are a lot better than others. The YD300 route was only showing as 6% unspecified - as expected it's small single lane tracks around farms and restricted byways that it's not sure on. Did a 300km loop in the Peaks recently that was similar.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m pretty sure all providers using OSM will be the same.
I have absolutely no issues with Strava route planning. I paid up to keep it
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:52 pm I’m pretty sure all providers using OSM will be the same.
This.

If you know it's wrong, go and change it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:03 pm
lune ranger wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:52 pm I’m pretty sure all providers using OSM will be the same.
This.

If you know it's wrong, go and change it.
+1.

Free to sign up to edit the data. The whole idea of OSM is that people update their local area so that accuracy improves. Might take up to a year for the changes to propagate to all the providers depending on how often they regenerate their maps.

So if it's wrong, don't complain, change it.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

This is what I got Mariner, hopefully high enough resolution for you to be able to tell the bits it was unsure on:

right click >> open in new tab and it's a pretty big pic
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

[quote=whitestone post_id=228326 time=1596989250
So if it's wrong, don't complain, change it.
[/quote]

I’m not complaining. It was an observation.
Actually there are some annoying bits of OSM on Dartmoor where there are slight gaps in some paths that you you can’t route across that I’d like to fix. Is it easy to fix OSM?
Please bear in mind that I really can’t tell my digital arse from my virtual elbow. Do you need to code anything or just click boxes?
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It’s not super easy tbh Luke and osm is populated by some of the most annoying tag geeks ever. I can fix them for you if you just point them out on a screenshot.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Thanks Andy.
Not sure how to interpret the results as I can see at a glance some sections which I know are tarmac showing as other.
The data is actually recorded form a ride not a notional route so I might take a note pad with me next week and do some recording each time a surface changes using the etrex odometer.
Thinking about it unless there is a common database of mapping data then there is going to be a wide variation in how routes are interpreted.
The question behind the original request is a 'what tyres' question as I am starting to spin out on loose climbs and one or two damp areas are starting to appear were I am not getting the grip I would like. Might try a worn MK2 on the back if the rains arrive this week.
Thanks again.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:14 pm It’s not super easy tbh Luke and osm is populated by some of the most annoying tag geeks ever. I can fix them for you if you just point them out on a screenshot.
Thanks Dave. That’s what I thought, if I can workout how to screen shot then I’ll take you up on the offers :lol:
WSC