Good vantage point gravel climb out of Maccynleth?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Good vantage point gravel climb out of Maccynleth?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Any decent ones nicely rideable (by an amateur) on a 32mm cx tired road bike... Maybe 800ft and a good spot near top to take a nice pic (though it appears to be a little cloudy/foggy today)...

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Good vantage point gravel climb out of Maccynleth?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anything off road out of Mach' is likely to be too much for 32's Shaf and not very enjoyable. The best view is from the viewing point towards he top of the mountain road (it's shown on the map) - a very worthy climb and quite famous. On a good day, nearly all the mountain ranges to the north are visible - even the tip of Snowdon.

Sadly, on a day like today, you'll see very little from there or any high ground locally.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 am Anything off road out of Mach' is likely to be too much for 32's Shaf and not very enjoyable. The best view is from the viewing point towards he top of the mountain road (it's shown on the map) - a very worthy climb and quite famous. On a good day, nearly all the mountain ranges to the north are visible - even the tip of Snowdon.

Sadly, on a day like today, you'll see very little from there or any high ground locally.
Oh schucks... oh well. The dyfi rd climb it'll have to be i suppose. Will look for that mt rd on OS too thanks Stu
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The dyfi rd climb it'll have to be i suppose
Could be one and the same Shaf?
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 am
The dyfi rd climb it'll have to be i suppose
Could be one and the same Shaf?
Maybe... but that does seem quite far. Have asked the locals and they've said similar to what you did (that the viewpoint at top can see all the mountains up north). Unfortunately I'm still unable to actually find the viewpoint on my OS. I did just lesrn what the symbol for a viewpoint is btw so feel enlightened (thanks).

I'm here (bulls eye)... Do I need to be searching to the left or right or up or down. Thanks in advance once again...

chris n

Post by chris n »

Take the lane to the south east across the golf course through Forge. Keep going UP for about 5 miles. :-bd
chris n

Post by chris n »

The Dyfi road climb I assume is the road to Corris past the CAT.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf, Chris's directions are spot on.

I have just thought of a gravel climb but you won't get the same kind of views you will from the mountain road.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:31 pm Shaf, Chris's directions are spot on.

I have just thought of a gravel climb but you won't get the same kind of views you will from the mountain road.
Tell me that aswell please Stu as I'm finishing at 2015 so the gravel might be kinder (departed for work at 0410 this am... for the love of Wales) and it gives me urgency to come back again next time and pick up another shift when it shows up
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll have to send you a gpx - you'll not find it from directions :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:31 pm Shaf, Chris's directions are spot on.

Out of Mach to Forge then lane to Talbontdrain and fireroad up the switchbacks to the top then east to Bugeilyn, onward past Glaslyn and up the road to the Memorial viewpoint?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:46 pm Viewpoint here Shaf - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=283547 ... &A=Y&Z=120
Thanks Bob... so am I coming via poel lettymorfud (sorry for bad spelling as I forgot since the 3 seconds I last saw it :o ) ie the main yellow road or am I coming up the biway on its left. Quite forward looking to this (looking forward, too) actually but not looking forward to thw wind which I imagine will be there today/this eve... Chris, 5 miles you say... sounds lovely that hey :-bd

Stu, if I need the gravel then I should be able to follow peters instructions anyway so now worries aboit a gpx :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, if I need the gravel then I should be able to follow peters instructions anyway so now worries aboit a gpx
My gpx wasn't taking you there Shaf. I was taking you on the other side of the Dyfi into the Tarrens.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:39 pm
Stu, if I need the gravel then I should be able to follow peters instructions anyway so now worries aboit a gpx
My gpx wasn't taking you there Shaf. I was taking you on the other side of the Dyfi into the Tarrens.
Lol... Now you're scaring me. Even though I do have (the one mtb Lumenator) light... :-bd
redefined_cycles

Found it. But sickly isn't it at 2000ft. Wonder why Simon Warren didn't find it. Makes you wonder!!

Will just climb as much as the legs and lights (got my lumenator but looking at it, doesn't look very inviting :o :lol: ) allow then just say prayers (eve/night ones) and come back down.

Thanks v much all

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Is there still a memorial to Wynford Vaughn Thomas at the viewpoint? Bet there's not many left who know who he was without Googling it. I remember seeing him on the telly, probably in black and white.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is there still a memorial to Wynford Vaughn Thomas at the viewpoint?
Yep, it's his memorial Duncan.
redefined_cycles

The view from the (bottom and) top... Really lovely climb that thanks Stu. I think I understand why Simon didn't include in his book maybe but I doubt there'd be many with such a view so it could have fit in nicely I guess...

Anyway...

The size of my little finger!

These were the few creatures I saw up near the reserve. Amazing what you see at night I suppose.

Think this was of the viewpoint on the way up (about 2150 for reference)...

Must say, what a stunning climb that gives 1500ft without too much effort either :smile: