What Gravel ****** brakes - GRX worth the dosh?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Re: What Gravel ****** brakes - GRX worth the dosh?

Post by Jurassic »

Piemonster wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:38 pm Having adjusted my TRPs yet again today I’m definitely ditching mechanicals.

That sounds like a close call Jurassic! Just skid marks on the road hopefully!
It's not like things like this happen every day but boy I'm glad I had those brakes today. You know when you're in a crash (car, bike, motorbike, whatever) and your brain does the mental calculation and tells you whether you're going to get away with it or not in those fractions of seconds before events unfold? My brain told me I was going to hit the back of that van today and I didn't which speaks volumes for the brakes. I feel pretty fortunate tbh.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Tsk, always be able to stop safely in the distance you can see... Sorry, just being facetious, we've all done it :???: . I'm in agreement though I do like a nice big stopper that can deliver a generous amount of braking power with no sponginess, just a big bang when you grab the leaver. TRP hylex's defo a good one.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:58 pm Tsk, always be able to stop safely in the distance you can see...
No, you're absolutely correct. My fault.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Jurassic wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:14 pm
Piemonster wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:38 pm Having adjusted my TRPs yet again today I’m definitely ditching mechanicals.

That sounds like a close call Jurassic! Just skid marks on the road hopefully!
It's not like things like this happen every day but boy I'm glad I had those brakes today. You know when you're in a crash (car, bike, motorbike, whatever) and your brain does the mental calculation and tells you whether you're going to get away with it or not in those fractions of seconds before events unfold? My brain told me I was going to hit the back of that van today and I didn't which speaks volumes for the brakes. I feel pretty fortunate tbh.
Well done (to the manufacturers as well as) on your quick reactions. Looks like they've paid themselves off just in that one stop!!

Reminds me of a story. Back when I was a young lad (well getting to 20s actually and newly learnt to cycle a few years earlier). Still hadn't passed my driving so couldn't appreciate stopping distance properly. Mate drove past and i need to see him so I shouted and he didn't hear. So I gave chase look a cool kid.

Shot down the road, he stopped to speak to a chap (who I probably lost love for and for many years, just from that split moment... come to think of it now, he was probably high!!) coming in car opposite way. My (v but proper Avid SD7) brakes didn't get chance to be involved in that split second conversation and I went splat straight into back of my mates car. Was going downhill on my street I'd grown up on.

Got up and thankfully nowt broken and just remembrr this (Mr Probably High-Guy) chap laughing at me. Anyway... Well done on your quick brain and brakes
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'd love to take credit Shaf but I genuinely think the brakes saved me today. I suppose all the years of riding off road with bikes sliding about underneath you does help a little bit when you get out of shape on the road but my overwhelming feeling was that I'd been lucky not that I'd been super skillful! It just seemed ironic that this happened today after we'd been recently talking about the relative merits of different types of brakes on here. I liked my GRX brakes already but I
probably like them a bit more after that close shave! :-bd
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Could be an option but would require a Giant stem,

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_cond ... t-ID_76551
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

RobLyon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 pm Could be an option but would require a Giant stem,

I was looking at that system with interest for a while but have discounted it.
Looks like it’ll crowd out the stem area too much for my liking. Making mounting all the lights computers bags etc you need a bit more difficult.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Fitted and used the Juin Tech R1’s today and am liking them on first impressions.
Fitting was amazingly simple. Literally swapped out the Spyre callipers and dropped these in place and away I went. 5 minutes max.
For the couple of Km’s I’ve used them the braking is fine. No wow factor but I wasn’t really expecting that. The bite point is adjustable so I have them set to brake with only a small pull as I did with the Spyres.
If they last well they’ll be well worth the swap.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Although I’ve said this before it’ll not stop me :-bd
None of the major component manufacturers have really grasped the off-road drop bar thing. Shimano to their credit did produce something which was specifically aimed at off-road use but then some numpty decided we didn’t need low gears. SRAM let us have the gear range but only if you invest in the stupidly expensive AXS ecosystem and match dropbar shifters with MTB gears. Even then the road based brake calipers don’t cut it off-road, I didn’t even try the SRAM red calipers.
What we need is a 500% gear range, 12 speed mechanical shifting AND brakes equal to your normal modern MTB, surely it’s not that hard? Sadly although ‘gravel’ is now a thing we’re going to waiting until perhaps ‘ultra gravel’ is in the marketing crosshairs before the need to bodge is finally over.

I’m waiting for Shimano GRX 1X with the 10-51 cassette and the option of a caliper worthy of a MTB.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dean

Post by Dean »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:41 pm
RobLyon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 pm Could be an option but would require a Giant stem,

I was looking at that system with interest for a while but have discounted it.
Looks like it’ll crowd out the stem area too much for my liking. Making mounting all the lights computers bags etc you need a bit more difficult.
Can confirm that bags needs to be mounted directly underneath the handlebars, anything which mounts in a forward direction will not fit as the cables come out horizontally in front of the stem clamp (think small barrel bag rather than harness and dry bag). However I have a generous amount of handlebar tape on 44cm road bars and can still fit a Garmin GPS64 mount, an Exposure light and two feed bags.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Anyone else remember the days when all Shimano mechs had the same actuation ratio and all you needed was to match the shifters to the cassette?
techno

Post by techno »

Looks like xt 4pot calipers work with grx levers.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDRtlx7Fmx- ... zdkupk306b
More power!!!!
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:57 pm I’m waiting for Shimano GRX 1X with the 10-51 cassette and the option of a caliper worthy of a MTB.
Something on the horizon not too far off that. It isn't Shimano however.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Ooo tell us more! Unfortunately I’ve invested heavily in AXS, which is superb but seriously expensive, even then I still cut the SRAM red calipers off in favour of the hopes.

Gari

Post by Gari »

I’m currently running a 11spd Rival set up on my gravel/touring bike, 12-50 Sunrace cassette, with no issues at all. I am happy with my BB7s so the braking thing isn’t a problem for me however.
In terms of rear mechs all Sram have the same ratio so you can choose to use mtb mechs, or not.
I choose not:)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Anyone else remember the days when all Shimano mechs had the same actuation ratio and all you needed was to match the shifters to the cassette?
I am old enough to remeber when all the parts for my bikes fitted all my other bikes - thenagian its about 8 years ago so not that distant.
Now I have various size wheels, axles, Bottom bracket types and sizes , different cranks etc
i could swap brakes between bike but pretty sure that is the only universal i have [three bar sizes as well]
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Gari wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:40 pm
In terms of rear mechs all Sram have the same ratio so you can choose to use mtb mechs, or not.
I choose not:)
Including Eagle? If so you’d be able to create a wide range 2X setup.

Gari

Post by Gari »

Not 12 speed unfortunately, otherwise yeh that would be vaguely exciting. The mechs are 10 and 11spd compatible though, I have the same mech on my 11spd tourer and 10spd cx/commuter.
Fingers crossed on 12spd drop bar shifters soon.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Obviously not one to rush

Ended up with Giant Conducts, loads of power, loads more than I ever got out of the Spryes, and more importantly, the system is fully sealed at the caliper so mud won’t find its way into the cable housing. Mainly the rear that did that with the cable pointing upwards grit always made its way past the boot etc and into the cable housing.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

I've used almost everything that can attach to a cable - BB5, BB7, Spyres, Hy/Rd and Juin Tech R1s

Out of those by far the best is the Juin Tech R1, second would be a toss up between Hy/Rd and BB7 - the Hy/Rd were a disappointing 'not really a step up' for me. As designed, they go almost to the bar with drop levers before any braking happens. I did the hack where you file a new slot and change the pivot point, which makes them solid feeling but it's still a challenge to stand the bike on the front wheel under braking, which I can do with 1 finger on the Juin Techs. If you're not going full hydraulic that's what I'd do (at least on the front) - I got them for a decent price from Amazon via China in 2-3 weeks.