Rigid 29er (+?) under a grand?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mythste

Rigid 29er (+?) under a grand?

Post by Mythste »

...That isn't a planet X. That bootzipper would be ace.

I'm gonna grab one on the cycle to work for both bikepacking fun and winter commuting. My commute is ~15 miles each way and I'm enjoying that mental chess that is road commuting. but I can also do it almost completely on canals if I want, which also skips out the best part of a 1000 feet of climbing. In winter I feel that this would be preferable.

I already have a Genesis CDF and and an Orange Crush, so this should fill a nice gap between those two. It's a nice problem to have.

I realise stock is low and so I'll probably wait until a bit later in the year anyway, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions! I also recognise that the C2W limit is more flexible these days and I will spend a touch more for the right bike, but I've also had to re-arrange a wedding that was due in 3 weeks because of that pesky pandemic so I don't want to put that in jeopardy either :lol:

Any and all help gratefully received!
Piemonster

Re: Rigid 29er (+?) under a grand?

Post by Piemonster »

I was going to suggest a Sonder Frontier but the sub £1k options are out of stock, £1099 for the next option.

No idea what they’re like mind you.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Piemonster wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 pm I was going to suggest a Sonder Frontier but the sub £1k options are out of stock, £1099 for the next option.

No idea what they’re like mind you.
Spotted that, they look great but I really do fancy something with the bigger wheels for mile munching and commuting. I'll keep scouring!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just had a quick on-line search and I hadn't realised before just how depleted stocks are. :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:51 pm I've just had a quick on-line search and I hadn't realised before just how depleted stocks are. :shock:
Mental isn’t it! Fortunately I’m in no rush, so I’m gathering intel for an October/November execution ideally.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Don't know if either is available, but kona unit and marin pine mountain 1 have big tyre clearance, think the latter is more expensive though.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Ribble Adventure 725?

It's a nice looking bike, and a better spec'd frame than the Bootzipper (although I like that as well).

Two options with Sram NX at £1,100 and with Apex at £1,500.

I'm nor keen on Sram stuff (although I do have Apex on my Escapade) , but the NX spec'd option looks good.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Fancy buying my Singular 'Rooster'???

Large, yellow, 1*11, 52mm rims, 3" tyres, good
used condition, sensibly priced but plus postage from here (France).

Full specs/price available upon request.....
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

gairym wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:37 pm Fancy buying my Singular 'Rooster'???

Large, yellow, 1*11, 52mm rims, 3" tyres, good
used condition, sensibly priced but plus postage from here (France).

Full specs/price available upon request.....
Let's play a game of lusting after something I don't need but will inevitably want. Yeah please send over what you've got! How large is large? I'm 5'8" and pretty reliably a medium but size up occasionally.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

For anyone interested (and for the many who are indeed, not interested!) I have just ordered a 2021 Kona Unit X which seems to tick all of my boxes! Plus I do have a bit of an affinity for Steel so even though its only the Chromoly, I like that.

I'll rag the SX groupset, slowly upgrade it, and maybe keep an eye out for an unnecessary boutique fork as time goes on. You know, because life's too short.

It'll be December before it lands, but I'm awful excited! Going to aim for a spring second city divide with this one!
faustus

Post by faustus »

Good going! The 2020/21 Unit X looks really good, and lots of good features. I have a 2018 Unit and it ticks many boxes for me, and very versatile to build up how you want. In terms of a fork, i've been using a surly Krampus fork (not boutique!) because they're good and solid, and also trying out a carbon Exotic fork. Not entirely sold on the carbon fork yet, there's something about the durability and utility of a decent steel fork - so don't assume it needs changing :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Lovely, guess you had to up your budget?
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

faustus wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:42 pm Good going! The 2020/21 Unit X looks really good, and lots of good features. I have a 2018 Unit and it ticks many boxes for me, and very versatile to build up how you want. In terms of a fork, i've been using a surly Krampus fork (not boutique!) because they're good and solid, and also trying out a carbon Exotic fork. Not entirely sold on the carbon fork yet, there's something about the durability and utility of a decent steel fork - so don't assume it needs changing :-bd
Quite right all round - and thanks for the initial heads up! I owe you a beverage.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

benp1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:59 pm Lovely, guess you had to up your budget?
Yes and no. I’m fortunate to work for a small business who asked me which C2W provider I wanted to use. I did some research and found the Green Commute Initiative which not only allow you more than the 1k (which I believe most do now) but do a much better handover at the end of the term ie, no lump sum stings to transfer ownership. Comes out under budget with that in mind!