GBDuro Starts Tomorrow 1st August 8am

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: GBDuro Starts Tomorrow 1st August 8am

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am Surely, in this day and age there should be absolutely no need for anyone to make themselves ill through bad water? Filters are cheap and light and they will all remove the nasties that'll make you sick :???:
Do they remove the fertilisers and other chemicals regularly dumped into water supplies?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do they remove the fertilisers and other chemicals regularly dumped into water supplies?
Most of the 'simple' ones won't Dave but you'd need to ingest a relatively large amount (or perhaps be unlucky enough to take it near source) to make you poorly. Given the dilution, I'd imagine it would need to happen over a much longer period than a few days. I'd guess that Cryptosporidium would be the most likely cause.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:28 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am Surely, in this day and age there should be absolutely no need for anyone to make themselves ill through bad water? Filters are cheap and light and they will all remove the nasties that'll make you sick :???:
Yes. If you buy the correct type.
Some only filter bacteria but the heavier pump versions like a Katadyn Hiker or various MSR ones will remove ALL nasties be they chemical or biological. These are what NGO’s and the military use in disasters/wars/Sunderland.

For upland streams in the UK I use a Trailshot (bacterial) for abroad or lowland I use a Katadyn.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks Luke which is why I do not filter in lowland at all as the pump versions are just a bit too bulky for me.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've had genuinely horrific squits after riding in Wales and only drinking tap water tbf. Suspect cow sh!t splashing onto water bottle/Camelbak nozzle was the culprit - the Triban Trail goes through a couple of spectacularly grim farmyards.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:40 am
Most of the 'simple' ones won't Dave but you'd need to ingest a relatively large amount (or perhaps be unlucky enough to take it near source) to make you poorly. Given the dilution, I'd imagine it would need to happen over a much longer period than a few days. I'd guess that Cryptosporidium would be the most likely cause.
They could’ve picked it up in north Somerset when they passed through as there’s a load of dogs with D&V have been hospitalised in the past two weeks including one of mine from swimming in a stream that on the route.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:57 pm I've had genuinely horrific squits after riding in Wales and only drinking tap water tbf. Suspect cow sh!t splashing onto water bottle/Camelbak nozzle was the culprit - the Triban Trail goes through a couple of spectacularly grim farmyards.
I use the Elite Fly MTB bottles now with the caps which work quite well but the cap hinges are a bit fema:

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/wa ... ng/fly-mtb
slarge

Post by slarge »

This seems to be turning into a race of attrition rather than a race of the fastest!

To finish first, first you must finish would appear to apply here!