Tarp pitch question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JimH

Tarp pitch question

Post by JimH »

I have a DD S tarp which has sewn loops but no eyelets. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix a corner of the tarp to the top of a BB Carbon pole? The sewn loops are obviously way to big to sit on top of the pole. Thanks in advance
psling

Re: Tarp pitch question

Post by psling »

You will probably need a guy rope at that point too so fix guy rope to tarp loop then wrap couple of times around top tip of pole then tension to peg :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Or if you don't fancy the lines, put the pole tip into the loop, hold the pole at 90 degrees to the tarp, then twist the whole pole through 360 degrees.....

PS> make sure you don't do this under any high tension power lines :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm Or if you don't fancy the lines, put the pole tip into the loop, hold the pole at 90 degrees to the tarp, then twist the whole pole through 360 degrees.....

PS> make sure you don't do this under any high tension power lines :grin:
PPS. And yes, one wouldn't suggest doing something one wouldn't do oneself but I'm not prepared to post a video of me embarrassing myself demo'ing it :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm ... put the pole tip into the loop, hold the pole at 90 degrees to the tarp, then twist the whole pole through 360 degrees.....
This is of course something the Wright brothers pioneered at the beginning of last century and not recommended in hurricane-force winds :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Peter's got it. If you wrap a line round the tip a couple of times and peg it down everything will hold itself in position. This option is good because it allows you to virtually alter the length of the pole ... place it closer to the tarp to increase pitch height, move it further from the tarp to decrease height.

Reg's idea might work too but I might be a little concerned about how much stress it'll place on the tip when 'twirling' ... but I'm likely over thinking that.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 pm Reg's idea might work too but I might be a little concerned about how much stress it'll place on the tip when 'twirling' ... but I'm likely over thinking that.
I think I picked that one up from Bob n Rose but it was quite a while ago. Wouldn't want to invalidate my StuPole warranty though :wink: . And, yah, I do use the "Pete 'n' Stu" technique as well but I reckon slight risk of pole drop and it's slower to execute (fight, fight, fight.....)

JimH

Post by JimH »

Perfect, that’s exactly what I was after :-bd thanks all
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I added a plastic disk to ensure the string doesn't slip down the pole but its not needed. Further away from the tarp the pole is, the lower the pitch