Tool Rolls: whats your selection of choice?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Tool Rolls: whats your selection of choice?

Post by thenorthwind »

I've never seen the point either really, though they seem a nice thing.

I agree about needing to be able to swap between bikes - I don't want to have to buy multiple tool sets for each bike.

I keep my tool kit and spare tube in a top tube bag, with some of the smaller bits in an old plastic chewing gum tub (Reg would be proud). I then swap that between bikes. All my bikes have top tubes, so it's pretty straightforwards :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting question that is Steve I reckon.

Personally, during 55 BaMs:
- not more than 2 or 3 punctures
- one destroyed Hope rear hub innards
- rear mudguard fell off
- panda bell broke

As you say, regular maintenance (incl M-check & lubes before every multiday ride) seems to do the trick. Not to say some things haven't started to play up a bit during rides, but replaced asap afterwards.

I'm jinxed now of course.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

slarge wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:25 pm Of course properly maintained bikes shouldn't need fixing* trailside. So no tools needed.

(*except when they do)

On your average day ride how many times do people generally have to fix/adjust something?
1. On Sunday I had to tighten up the mount of the dynamo light but that was because I didn't RTFM and tighten it before I put it on the bike.
2. A couple of months ago I bled the brakes on Cath's bike but forgot to realign one brake lever :roll: so had to sort that out on the ride.

Apart from those a gnat's todger next to naff all :lol: I'll ignore rides where the purpose of the ride is to figure out the best position for something which are a case of ride a bit, adjust whatever it is, ride more, repeat.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:31 pm
techno wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm UK made + recycled to boot: https://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/cat_ ... ducts.html
Wow... How is that full framepack so cheap. I always assumed stuff from BB was really expensive
Shaf...Beerbabe stuff is reasonably priced and handmade by a lovely lady,
I've got a couple of her bags and they're ace :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Fat Tyre Kicker (I always explain a £40 highHigh street bike shop service as just that btw... That it's akin to a kick in the tyres* and an adjustment of the brake cables :grin: ). Yes, I'm thinking I need to give this lady a try as the inner tube thing is amazing and... Hope its not really heavy though.

In other news, I managed to get a shot of the culprit that keeps stealing my bags (think 'tool bags and snacks from yesteryear)... Wait til I get my hands on him!

At least a tool roll is less appealing to him. Even tried to nab my Bonty - see me from a mile - rear light a few times too!!

*Similar to what them chaps that come to buy a car but don't really know what their doing, so kick the tires and say I'll have it.. Maybe I'm one of them :grin:
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

:lol: :lol: :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:36 pm Interesting question that is Steve I reckon.

I must be a jinx, think I’ve been there for them all :lol:

My tools live in a water bottle keg under the down tube, with others in the oneup EDC pump (multitool, tyre plugger, chain breaker, and link pliers)
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:14 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:36 pm Interesting question that is Steve I reckon.

I must be a jinx, think I’ve been there for them all :lol:
Yeah you were actually! And, now you mention it, you were there when I trashed my brand-new Marmot jacket too! Jinx, jinx, JINX, JIIIIIIIIINNNNNXXX!!!!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Martin B

Post by Martin B »

A few weeks ago I spent an evening making a tool pouch out of an old jacket pocket zipper and some cordura type fabric. Oh how I chuckled when I realised that after all my design ingenuity and seamstress skills, that what I've made is... a pencil case 😁

Prior to my 'pencil case' I just used a ziploc bag.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Got all this sorted this year by using a bum bag, been quite handy to have all my tools in one place and that I can add in a stove/beer/food as extra too for my rides.

Pre bum bag, each bike (5 or so) would all have separate tools/pumps