Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
ChrisS
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am

As part of my project to get my entire sleep kit (including bivy, tarp + mat) into an 8l dry bag, I'm looking for a summer bag that packs really small. My current bag is an Alpkit Pipedream 400 which is too warm for summer and doesn't compress nearly small enough.

Compressing to a tiny size is more important than weight in this case, though I realise the two tend to go together :smile:

The bivy bag, mat and tarp take up about half the space in the 8l dry bag, maybe a bit more, so I need something that packs down to 4l or smaller, if that's possible

Never used a quilt, but willing to give one a go. What's out there? I guess the Cumulus 150 would be a top contender if it packs small enough.

The Cumbrian
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:42 pm
Location: Cumbria / Cheshire

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by The Cumbrian » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 pm

I've got a Sea to Summit Traveller TR1 Long sleeping bag / quilt, and I managed to squeeze it, a 3/4 length underquilt, a down jacket, my sleeping base layers, a hat and a pair of warm socks into a 9l handlebar drybag.

User avatar
whitestone
Posts: 6067
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by whitestone » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:07 pm

Cumulus 150 would be the choice du forum but if you are a cold sleeper then the 250 might be better. Also consider high quality sleeping bags like PHD, their Minim 200 packs small.

I can easily get the Cumulus 150, Exped May, Borah Gear bivy, Trekkertent DCF tarp into an 8L bag. If I used the Klymit X-frame mat then I could probably get that lot into a 5L bag. Pole and pegs would be elsewhere just to avoid abrasion.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19018
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:11 pm

I'm with Bob. The 150 quilt packs to nothing, weighs little and is surprisingly warm.
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
ChrisS
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:13 pm

The Cumbrian wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 pm
I've got a Sea to Summit Traveller TR1 Long sleeping bag / quilt, and I managed to squeeze it, a 3/4 length underquilt, a down jacket, my sleeping base layers, a hat and a pair of warm socks into a 9l handlebar drybag.
Not come across the Sea to Summit bags before, will have a look. That's a lot of kit in a small bag!

User avatar
ChrisS
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:25 pm

whitestone wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Cumulus 150 would be the choice du forum but if you are a cold sleeper then the 250 might be better. Also consider high quality sleeping bags like PHD, their Minim 200 packs small.

I can easily get the Cumulus 150, Exped May, Borah Gear bivy, Trekkertent DCF tarp into an 8L bag. If I used the Klymit X-frame mat then I could probably get that lot into a 5L bag. Pole and pegs would be elsewhere just to avoid abrasion.
PHD Minim 200 is lovely, but spendy. I almost bought a used Minim earlier this year for a great price but it was one of the warmer models. Packed down incredibly small though.

I've been packing pegs with the tarp and hadn't thought about abrasion... New pole hopefully arriving from Stuart this week :-bd

slarge
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: MTB mecca (Warwickshire)

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by slarge » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:27 pm

I have a Cumulus 200 bag (like the 150 quilt) and it just squeezes into a 1 litre drybag, but you can't close the drybag. With a Klymit inertia X frame small mat, a Borah bivvy all rolled up it easily fits into a 5L bag. You could get away with this, but it is minimalist. I also tend to pack a polycro sheet and a couple of spare bits of clothing (leggings and a base layer top) to help keep the bag/bivvy clean and dry and it all easily fits into an 8L bag.

User avatar
ChrisS
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:40 pm

slarge wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:27 pm
I have a Cumulus 200 bag (like the 150 quilt) and it just squeezes into a 1 litre drybag, but you can't close the drybag.
That's really useful to know thanks - looks a good bag and should easily fit into the space I've got with room for a layer too.

I use a slightly beefier mat. I've tried a Klymit but don't get much sleep on one!

User avatar
ChrisS
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:41 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:11 pm
I'm with Bob. The 150 quilt packs to nothing, weighs little and is surprisingly warm.
Cheers :-bd

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2810
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by sean_iow » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm

whitestone wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Cumulus 150 would be the choice du forum but if you are a cold sleeper then the 250 might be better.
^ Take note of this. I'm obviously a cold sleeper as I find my 150 only just about warm enough even in mid-summer and most of the time I end up wearing a lightweight synthetic jacket as well. The 150 packs easily into a 3L dry bag so is tiny. I don't think the 250 takes up much more space.

The 250 weighs 110g more but 100g of that is extra down, so for the 110g you get 66% more down that you will in a 150. If I was to buy again for actual 'sleeping' I'd get a 250. For a few hours shivering mid race, for me the 150 is ideal :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

Chew
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by Chew » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:13 pm

I can get a 250 cumulus quilt, mat, alpkit hunker XL, buff, t-shirt & boxers, plus hipster down gillet into a 8 litre dry bag.

Its a squeeze, but it all fits :-bd

User avatar
ChrisS
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:53 pm

sean_iow wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm
whitestone wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Cumulus 150 would be the choice du forum but if you are a cold sleeper then the 250 might be better.
^ Take note of this. I'm obviously a cold sleeper as I find my 150 only just about warm enough even in mid-summer and most of the time I end up wearing a lightweight synthetic jacket as well. The 150 packs easily into a 3L dry bag so is tiny. I don't think the 250 takes up much more space.

The 250 weighs 110g more but 100g of that is extra down, so for the 110g you get 66% more down that you will in a 150. If I was to buy again for actual 'sleeping' I'd get a 250. For a few hours shivering mid race, for me the 150 is ideal :grin:
Noted. I do sleep cold so 250 may be a better option.

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6230
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ScotRoutes » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:54 pm

My Cumulus 250 quilt easily fits in a 4L Sea to Summit drybag.

I've been tempted by a 150 as I'm a warm sleeper but Highland Scotland rules out all but a handful of suitable nights each year.

Scud
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: North Norfolk

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by Scud » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:14 pm

I have a Mountain Equipment Phantom Spark down bag, rated to -2, which with my Rab Superlight bivvy bag (not the smallest at all, but is Event and has attachment on top for a line so it holds mouth of bag open and away from face) and Neoair mat all fits inside an 8l bag including Exped inflatable pillow and merino long johns.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/phanto ... 71441.html

User avatar
ChrisS
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:25 pm

ScotRoutes wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:54 pm
My Cumulus 250 quilt easily fits in a 4L Sea to Summit drybag.

I've been tempted by a 150 as I'm a warm sleeper but Highland Scotland rules out all but a handful of suitable nights each year.
As all of my bikepacking is in Scotland, the 250 is looking like a good choice, if I could find it in stock anywhere 👀

User avatar
whitestone
Posts: 6067
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by whitestone » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 pm

One point to note - keeping all of your bivy gear in the same bag isn't necessarily a good idea - what happens when your tarp and bivy are wet? You can get round this by using a dual compartment dry bag but most on here will use one dry bag for stuff that has to stay dry and one for the potentially wet items.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry

User avatar
ChrisS
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:45 pm

whitestone wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 pm
One point to note - keeping all of your bivy gear in the same bag isn't necessarily a good idea - what happens when your tarp and bivy are wet? You can get round this by using a dual compartment dry bag but most on here will use one dry bag for stuff that has to stay dry and one for the potentially wet items.
I tend to stuff the sleeping bag in loose and put the tarp in a small dry bag if it's wet, or there's usually a bit of room in my seatbag. AFAIK Wildcat were the only folk who made a dual compartment dry bag and it's on my list if/when they start up again.

mattpage
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:35 am

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by mattpage » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:09 am

I have a PHD autumn race bag.
No longer made, but a form of the minim I think. It is a light bag, but a different outer than I seem to remember was thinner/lighter, but downside is some down comes out from time to time.

But it is 336g without a stuff sack. 353g with the standard one, although I use a smaller, lighter one as it packs down so small.
Comfort down to 7, but I have used it to 1 degree when the temperature plummeted when not forecast.

Brilliant bag and while its no longer made, PHD as a brand are brilliant.

jameso
Posts: 3691
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by jameso » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:43 pm

I have a PHD 1000FP quilt with a lower leg box / bag, like a half-half, it's under 250g I think and good down to about 7-8 degrees if I have a thin insulated jacket on. I can get that, a short Neoair and a Decathlon pillow into a 4l drybag with ease. It packs even smaller than my Minim Ultra but isn't quite as warm overall - it's close though.

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19018
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Now, unlike Sean, I'm from the north and I've taken me 150 down to just above zero with a good mat and a fluffy ferret. I can't say that I was toasty but I was warm enough with the addition of a light down jacket that I could get a reasonable amount of sleep.
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
stevewaters
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:23 am
Location: Dark Peak

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by stevewaters » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:11 pm

I suspect a 150 quilt with down jacket - particularly if hooded - is a warmer combo than a 250 quilt on its own.

I have the latter, but am considering the former too to have more flexibility.

The lightest hooded down jacket I can find is 218g and pricey (see link below). Less expensive options are heavier.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... top-p12465

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2810
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by sean_iow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:58 pm
Now, unlike Sean, I'm from the north and I've taken me 150 down to just above zero with a good mat and a fluffy ferret.
I think I have been under-matted at times which hasn't helped. On my Neoair xlite I'm much warmer than on the Klymit X frame. I also don't take a ferret :grin:
stevewaters wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:11 pm
I suspect a 150 quilt with down jacket - particularly if hooded - is a warmer combo than a 250 quilt on its own.
And a 250 with hooded jacket will be warmer still :smile: I used to obsess over the grams, the 2019 HT550 taught me that there is more to kit choice than just weight :smile: Let's not forget that the difference in weight between a 150 and 250 quilt is the same as 1 inch of water in a standard size bottle.

That jacket is very nice though. I was after a hooded jacket as my current one doesn't have a hood, but I've decided that I'll stick with my synthetic hood-less one. I sometimes wear it riding and the hood would only be flapping about and annoying me as it would be too hot under a helmet. For sleeping in cold weather I have one of these for my head

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/prism ... %5B3%5D=64
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

slarge
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: MTB mecca (Warwickshire)

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by slarge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Oex Xenon Ultra is a 217 gram down jacket. I love mine!!

(it's the one in MattPages video of his around Wales trip)

And a lot cheaper than £200, if you can find one - I think they may have stopped making them now

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2810
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by sean_iow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:34 pm

slarge wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 pm
Oex Xenon Ultra is a 217 gram down jacket. I love mine!!

(it's the one in MattPages video of his around Wales trip)

And a lot cheaper than £200, if you can find one - I think they may have stopped making them now
I'd spotted them, I think John Climber has one as well. But they do appear to have stopped making them :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 4603
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23 (window, facing), Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: Sleeping bag or quilt with tiny pack size

Post by RIP » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Nah, £125 for a hooded MH Ghost Whisperer Mk2 at 219g! https://www.wiggle.co.uk/mountain-hardw ... S-EALw_wcB

Not quite sure what's going on there because the Mk1 I've just bought from Wiggle without hood is 209g, and I thought the Mk2 was a lot (40g :wink: ) heavier than the Mk1. Bit cheesed off now 'cos might have had this if it had showed up when I got the Mk1. Arse! Still, I know that's Rule#1 of kit buying.
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster

Post Reply